Crowther Audio - Prunes & Custard

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

Hi Brink, thanks for posting this up! I can't tell if there are any errors with what you've done (I don't have the skillz!), but I am really wanting to make this so I've ligned up a friend who is going to etch the board for me so I can get soldering...
Can we work from this image, or do I/we need another one without the components on there and just the trace?
Thanks for all help dude!

Brink
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Brink »

cornocopius wrote:Hi Brink, thanks for posting this up! I can't tell if there are any errors with what you've done (I don't have the skillz!), but I am really wanting to make this so I've ligned up a friend who is going to etch the board for me so I can get soldering...
Can we work from this image, or do I/we need another one without the components on there and just the trace?
Thanks for all help dude!
I totally forgot about this. Thanks for reminding me. Here's the updated version, I previously forgot the pulldown resistor. I haven't built this project yet but from looking at it I think it's correct.
Here, 300dpi.
Attachments
HamMustardPnP.GIF
HamMustardPnP.GIF (13.24 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
HamMustardLayout.GIF
HamMustardLayout.GIF (23.03 KiB) Viewed 3435 times

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

Yo ho,

So after Brink made this ace small version of the circuit, I'm FINALLY in a position to be getting on with building this and maaaan I cannot wait!

The only things is...where the hell does one get a 47k Reverse Log Pot in the UK?
I've searched everywhere and am coming up with nowt.

The last things I need for this build are the 3 pots: 47k Rev Log, 47k Log, 47k Lin.

Any ideas on where I might get these from in the UK?

Cheers dudes...

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Just use 47k for the rev log, works for me. Feel is a bit different, but that is not annoying at all.
Or you buy this one.

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

marshmellow wrote:Just use 47k for the rev log, works for me. Feel is a bit different, but that is not annoying at all.
Or you buy this one.
Awesome, thanks for this link...

Now this really is the last bit I need... What is the consensus on the C10PH diode? Can it be replaced by anything else which is more readily available? I've read all the posts (Starting here) and I was wondering what other people used in the C10PH's place..?
Or can someone find me a link to where I can get one in the UK?

Like krome_magnon says in his post: "CP10H brings up all sorts of crap on google, but no real details" and I can't find one to buy here in the UK.
If it can be replaced by something easily then I'll obvs do that...

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

cornocopius wrote:Now this really is the last bit I need... What is the consensus on the C10PH diode? Can it be replaced by anything else which is more readily available? I've read all the posts (Starting here) and I was wondering what other people used in the C10PH's place..?
Or can someone find me a link to where I can get one in the UK?

Like krome_magnon says in his post: "CP10H brings up all sorts of crap on google, but no real details" and I can't find one to buy here in the UK.
If it can be replaced by something easily then I'll obvs do that...
Could this replace it? : Zener 10V - 1N4740A
Or maybe this? : Zener 9.1V

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

Hey guys, anyone able to help me out with my query above about this part or a replacement?
Thanks loads for any info/insight...

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

If you use 9V you can just leave it out. Or substitute it by a 1N4001 or something similar for polarity protection.

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

marshmellow wrote:If you use 9V you can just leave it out. Or substitute it by a 1N4001 or something similar for polarity protection.
Awesome! Thanks so much for the info! I will only be using 9V, but I was worried that this was a really integral part of the circuit.
Sweet, will replace it away!
Cheers dude...

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

So I finally got round to starting this last night. All went swimmingly. I really want to finish it, but I have to go away for the weekend now so it'll have to wait til next week til it gets its final components and gets put in a box.
Will post when it's all done...

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

Ok guys, so I need some help here... It's not working... :( All I'm getting is a bunch of noise and no guitar signal at all, nothing mixed in just generated buzz...
I can't see what could be wrong and I've been over it and over it...
If anyone could look over the photos below and spot anything that I might have missed...any help would be greatly recieved!
Help! I'm gutted, I really really wanted this to work... :(

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

Hey guys, I'm having a PM chat with Brink about this issue I've got and he's being very helpful trying to help me diagnose the problem...
If anyone else has a view or wants to wade in with some help, go right on ahead! :D

I haven't tried an audio probe...I haven't got one and am not quite sure what I'd do there...(I'll look into this and sort it)...
As for IC readings I get the following:

1. 3.44
2. 3.44
3. 1.69
4. 0
5. 3.26
6. 3.44
7. 3.44
8. 6.87

according to this diagram:

Does this look right?

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

Ur...bump?
Anyone able to look at my photos & readings and have any idea why it isn't working at the moment?
Any help greatly appreciated... :)

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

ibodog2 wrote: 3 things:
1. You should probably have a higher voltage at pin 8 of the opamp.
2. There are spots that look iffy on the trace side with possible solder bridges and cold solder joints.
3. Looks to me like this is an unverified layout so there may be errors there. Check the layout versus the schematic.

Great to see you jump in to try to verify the layout! :thumbsup
Cheers for the input! I agree about the low voltage, but I was using a used battery when I took those readings and reckon it would be higher if I gave it a straight 9V.

Where do you reckon it looks iffy? I've been over and over it and scraped and checked to make sure all the joints are well made and not bridging... If you could indicate on one of the photos then that would help loads... :thumbsup

RE the layout: Well obvs I'm taking a leap here, but Brink kind of assured me from the content in his earlier posts that this would work out... I'm going to be gutted if it turns out the layout is wrong as this is my first atempt and if it all goes down I'm going to be pretty upset that my first atempt was a waste of time/broken/wrong... It took me ages to get the parts sourced from abroad...
I don't know to much about this (not a pro electrician or anything) so wouldnt be able to test it against the schematic...I was just trusting that it was a fairly simple circuit and the new layout was correct especially after a mistake was spotted and then corrected...

Anyhoo, thanks for your help and if you could point out where you reckon any bridges/mistakes are then I'll check them out... :)

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

Hey guys, well I've got the pedal up and running! Whoo!

Image Image

It sounds great, but there is still one niggling issue with it before I can sign it off as fully verified...and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help/point me to a solution/obvious mistake...

The Drive pot doesn't appear to be doing anything/very much at all and possibly seems to be in reverse maybe?

Basically when it is turned fully counter clockwise (7 o'clock) there is drive and sound...how much drive is a little hard to judge because when I turn the knob/pot to 9 o'clock or 10 o'clock it completely fizzles/fades out and there is no sound at all :shock:

So as there is so little movement to play with it's tough to know which spectrum of the Drive I'm actually getting... Am I getting Max to nothing in a tiny space? Should there be a ton more Drive? Why does it fade out so quickly with such a tiny movement?

Can anyone see an obvious reason as to why this might be happening from my pictures in my previous posts above? I re-soldered 3 spots following ibodog2's advice from above, but as the pedal is now working I cannot see/think what might be the issue here...
I can obvs flip the pot round if this is what needs doing maybe...?

Any and all help greatly received obvs... You guys are dudes...

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

VERIFIED!

This is fully working and sounding awesome! Brink's layout is ace and easy to build... all my previous posts about it not working were my errors in not grounding the circuit properly and having the reverse log pot wired the wrong way round...

A highly recommended build... :thumbsup

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: GGG Phase45
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

is there anyone out there in FSB land who would be so kind as to etch me a board for one of these?

I had an original, years ago, and foolishly sold mine when I wasn't playing much bass...
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

cornocopius
Information

Post by cornocopius »

the3secondrule wrote:is there anyone out there in FSB land who would be so kind as to etch me a board for one of these?

I had an original, years ago, and foolishly sold mine when I wasn't playing much bass...
Well now, what are the chances...
If you look at the photos I uploaded when I was etching, I actually etched two board in case one didn't work out! But seeing as I got it going first time, I have a whole spare board...
Drop me a PM and we'll see if I can get it to you somehow... Where are you based?

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

Ok, I have finished my P & C on the board generously given by Cornocopius. Sounds pretty good, compared to what I remember the original I used to have sounded like. I was never that impressed with it on guitar myself, but I'm looking forward to cranking it on bass at band practise tomorrow night, i really love that really square-ish filter-y decay it has on bass.

have noticed that it has some motorboating going on when the pedal is on, but not played through. interestingly enough, this changes pitch/rate with the guit/bass, and lo freq switches. any one else come across this? my original didn't do this. any thoughts on where to start debugging?

Cheers,

J
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

OK. weirdly, the motorboating seems to lessen when the pedal is running of a DC adaptor, rather than battery. odd

J