EH Bad Stone Revisited

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Finally!! I want to do this since I start drawing some cicuits.
In short schemos founded in the net are a little confuse, so I decided to redraw it.
It's based on this one, founded in a very helpful page:

http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ05EHBadStone.html
EHBadStone.sch.gif
And the next is my atempt
BAD STONE.bmp
BAD STONE.bmp (866.31 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
Is checked as far as I can do it, but if somebody see some mistakes (because always are) please, tell me and I'll fix it.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

We should do a DIY project of this. The Badstone is a nice sounding phaser. I repaired one for a friend and I was very surprised by it! :D
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Me too!
I have a nice '77 Small Stone, and I love it, but feel the BS goes some place deeper.
Traced some PCB's but not very satisfied with none: too big or so much jumpers on it.
I'll try again to see if I can offer something more complete.

Some board pictures and sound clips here:

http://www.home-wrecker.com/badstone.html

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

^That's a different Bad Stone than the project file listed At Topacionnienannansfng, though.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

azrael wrote:^That's a different Bad Stone than the project file listed At Topacionnienannansfng, though.
Every time I make a web search, always found the same two circuits, but I choose to redraw the one at Topopiccione because they claim that it's truly checked and, most important, working.
In fact, they have a complete proyect. :D

B Tremblay
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B Tremblay »

Here are photos and clips of mine: http://home-wrecker.com/badstone.html
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

i built one with the project files and pcb template from topopiccione.
it is a truly fantastic phaser, my favorite for bass so far. totally different from small stone, phase 90 and polyphase. much deeper, mellow in the highs, lots of bass.
what i did was adding an opamp vol recovery stage and a volume pot.

cheers,
lohstah

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

This seems to have died off a bit quickly, I like soulsonics idea of doing a project for this (especially as the topopiccione is pretty messy) It's certainly got a more interesting sound than the MXR Phasers to me and there's no need to try and find the 5 CA3080s for the Small Stone Clone.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

soulsonic wrote:We should do a DIY project of this.
Me, Duckman & Abfackeln have been working on a project for this and now have a verified layout pretty much ready for production, who'd actually be interested in a V2. 2 Knob Bad Stone Phaser Board, Board Mounted Pots, Silk Screened, 4 Layer Board, To fit a 1590BB? If there's enough interest a run could be arranged...

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Scruffie wrote:
Me, Duckman & Abfackeln have been working on a project for this and now have a verified layout pretty much ready for production, who'd actually be interested in a V2. 2 Knob Bad Stone Phaser Board, Board Mounted Pots, Silk Screened, 4 Layer Board, To fit a 1590BB? If there's enough interest a run could be arranged...
Erm..............Duckman & Abfackeln and I

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

uncleboko wrote:
Scruffie wrote:
Erm..............Duckman & Abfackeln and I
Sorry Grammar Nazi :mrgreen:
It was before the mornings Coffee :)

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

This is a cool sounding phaser,the sound seems to be alot more prominent than the Univibe,just wondering if it is similar to the EH Small Stone?,I happen to have some CA3080 ICs lying around somewhere,but this circuit looks alot easier to build,what I would do is substitute TLO72 ICs for the 4558s,the TLO72 is a dual op amp IC but the input transistors are field effect types rather than bipolar types,the end result is 1,much higher input impedance,2,lower noise levels,3,lower biasing currents.... :)

I have used TLO72s in place of JRC4558Ds with absolutely no problems at all... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

DrNomis wrote:This is a cool sounding phaser,the sound seems to be alot more prominent than the Univibe,just wondering if it is similar to the EH Small Stone?,I happen to have some CA3080 ICs lying around somewhere,but this circuit looks alot easier to build,what I would do is substitute TLO72 ICs for the 4558s,the TLO72 is a dual op amp IC but the input transistors are field effect types rather than bipolar types,the end result is 1,much higher input impedance,2,lower noise levels,3,lower biasing currents.... :)

I have used TLO72s in place of JRC4558Ds with absolutely no problems at all... :)
Completely different sound and design to the Small Stone Phaser, 6 Stages Over 4, Uses a Single 4009 or 4049 Which are alot easier and cheaper to come by instead of OTAs (CA3080s) . Very nice sounding Phaser overall with a Nice Vibrato too.
TL072s will work fine in this, the LM324 however should not be substituted for any old Quad Op-Amp as it can lead to the LFO not running.
Some Clips (Not Including B Tremblays) -
http://topopiccione.atspace.com/sndpics.html

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Scruffie wrote:
DrNomis wrote:TL072s will work fine in this
I used a combo of TL072's and LF353's in one of the proto builds with no problems at all..... pretty nice sounding phaser, and the vibrato feature is pretty cool too....

B Tremblay
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B Tremblay »

One test I've meant to conduct is using a 4069 (in the 4049 pinout module) in place of the 4009, just to see if there is any audible difference. Haven't done that yet since the board-mounted pots make component swaps a bit more involved.

It continues to be the phaser sound by which I judge all others.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

Now that you bring it up, I'm surprised no one, besides Topopiccione, has made a DIY project for this. The parts are very accessible and everyone seems to think it sounds great.

I might have to give the Topopiccione project a try. The jumpers seem to have gotten out of hand on this layout. But they say it's verified. If it works once it's all in a box it's not really that big a deal.

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: GGG Phase45
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

Scruffie wrote:
Very interested!
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

^Same, I would love to build one. :D

all the jumpers on the Topopiccione one seemed like a hassle.

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

A short straight jumper has to be the easiest thing to install. It's also hard to screw up. That said, I suppose the problem with the Topopiccione layout is that the jumper go every which way, some under other parts, or over parts and across the board. These would obviously take a little more thought to get right.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Hmmmm...as I recall,the LM324 is like having two JRC4558Ds in one package,the op amps in an LM324 are built using bipolar transistors,the thing about this particular IC is that it was designed to be able to be powered from a single supply rail,as well as dual supply rails,there isn't anything very special about this IC though,I might try building this pedal using a TLO74 (same pinout as an LM324) and some TLO72's,and I might try substituting a CD4049 for the CD4009,just for fun,might see if I can come up with a stripboard layout too... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.