Sustain Punch - Creamy Dreamer

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
markm
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by markm »

The classic DIY Boutique pedal by Sustain Punch.
A former member of Aron's forum who took the money and "Ran"!!
Now defunct, this circuit is still shrowded in mystery all though, it's just a Big Muff with a bunch of mods from the Forum.

Layout;

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/ ... LAYOUT.png

Transfer;

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/ ... ANSFER.gif

Schematic;

https://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/ ... rschem.png

A Big Muff derivative.
Join together with the "Banned"!

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

That's funny. :lol:

The underlying schematic is the one I drew up in the graphics package for X windows back in maybe 1993-94 for Leper's Archive. The values have been modified, and there are three rectangle-style resistors that have been modified.

Nothing ever dies on the web. I wonder how many copies of that thing there are now... :lol:

AL
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by AL »

R.G. wrote:That's funny. :lol:

The underlying schematic is the one I drew up in the graphics package for X windows back in maybe 1993-94 for Leper's Archive. The values have been modified, and there are three rectangle-style resistors that have been modified.

Nothing ever dies on the web. I wonder how many copies of that thing there are now... :lol:
Hey now we know.... RG "designed" the Creamy Dreamer. :lol: You never told us.

AL

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

AL wrote:Hey now we know.... RG "designed" the Creamy Dreamer. :lol: You never told us.
AL
AAAAGGHHHHH!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

I know nothing. Besides which I was not there that day. :lol:

IggY
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by IggY »

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The funniest statement is this:
MikeH wrote:I have to be honest- I modded my BM to CD specs and didn't hear a damn difference. The world is over-flowing with suckers.
This was predictable cause the 100 Ohm (150 Ohm) resistors don´t do anything to the "sound". They are only there for temperature stabilization. They even don´t need to be bypassed, cause the gain of this stage is mostly determined by the ratio of the feedback resistor (between C and B) and the input resistor - and is far less than the ß of the transistor and the ratio between the collector resistor and the emitter resistor.

(I don´t understand, why no bootweaker tried - until now - to use high-gain transistors and a 1M instead of the 470k. Oops.... :shock: did I reveal now the future "trade secret" ....of a - let´s say: "Pink Lady" pedal ?)

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

analogguru wrote:This was predictable cause the 100 Ohm (150 Ohm) resistors don´t do anything to the "sound". They are only there for temperature stabilization. They even don´t need to be bypassed, cause the gain of this stage is mostly determined by the ratio of the feedback resistor (between C and B) and the input resistor - and is far less than the ß of the transistor and the ratio between the collector resistor and the emitter resistor.
So the value of the emitter resistors don't matter? Damn. :lol:
analogguru wrote:(I don´t understand, why no bootweaker tried - until now - to use high-gain transistors and a 1M instead of the 470k. Oops.... :shock: did I reveal now the future "trade secret" ....of a - let´s say: "Pink Lady" pedal ?)
I'll totally be looking in to this. :shock:

(but I've got no desire to be a 'tweaker :lol: 8) )

Thanks!

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Since the thread has been moved here is the original post:
brad wrote:I asked Billy Corgan about the Creamy Dreamer last night.

So, I got the chance to ask Billy Corgan about the Creamy Dreamer last night prior to their Connecticut show. I basically asked what the story was and if he ever actually used it, and to paraphrase his response, he said:

"This is a perfect example of someone exploiting a situation. What happened was some kid came up and told me he had this pedal. So being polite, I sent him an email saying, you know, 'sounds nice...good job' ...and next thing you know it's as if it's the official pedal of the Pumpkins. He's an asshole".

So there you go; straight from the horse's mouth. His whole answer was longer of course, but the basic gist of it was that he didn't actually use it, and how something so ridiculous can happen from strumming a few chords through a pedal. And yes --he really did call Jeff Doucette an asshole lol.

I know it was pretty geeky to ask Billy about an obscure pedal controversy instead of something to do with his music, but I thought it should be set straight considering auctions for Creamy Dreamer related mods are regularly on eBay stating;

"TAKE YOUR MUFF AND TURN IT INTO THE LEGENDARY CREAMY DREAMER PEDAL, EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE USED BY BILLY CORGAN OF THE SMASHING PUMPKINS!"
analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

BTW, I loaded up MarkM's layout of this a while ago. There seems to be a biasing issue with it, but I haven't tracked it down to the layout, or something wrong with my build. Anyone tried this one out?

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

madbean wrote:BTW, I loaded up MarkM's layout of this a while ago. There seems to be a biasing issue with it, but I haven't tracked it down to the layout, or something wrong with my build. Anyone tried this one out?

The last stage was biased wrong. Yen added another version of his schematic but the old one was used over and over. Just make em into normal muff values!
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

How about degooping so we can get an accurate schematic of the Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer?
There's one on Ebay.

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

That has already been done, the degooping at least :) the actual schematic could be on this site somewhere, not sure.
Attachments
34763025_o.jpg
creamydreamer1.jpg
SustainPunch_CreamyDreamer_inside.jpg
SustainPunch_CreamyDreamer_inside.jpg (61.15 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
SustainPunch_CreamyDreamer_tracks.jpg
SustainPunch_CreamyDreamer_components.gif

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

I believe Jack Orman degooped it but he doesn't have a schematic. He did say that it is different from what people think was done to it.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

silverface wrote:That has already been done, the degooping at least :) the actual schematic could be on this site somewhere, not sure.
Ohhh.... Nice to see my component layout from several years ago.

Attached you will find the assumed schematic.

But: The search function is your friend.

analogguru

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

analogguru wrote:
silverface wrote:That has already been done, the degooping at least :) the actual schematic could be on this site somewhere, not sure.
Ohhh.... Nice to see my component layout from several years ago.

Attached you will find the assumed schematic.

analogguru
I made that before and it does sound different from the original

Nicht Bernd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Nicht Bernd »

Hey Silverface, what´s the name of the font (sustain punch)?

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

I honestly have no idea.

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

The "Creamy Dreamer" part seems to be a variant or combo of the Constructivist fonts.

http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/p22/constructivist/

Some letters appear in one style and some in another.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs