Guild - FW-3 ( Fuzz-Wah )  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

the3secondrule wrote:Soooooo... i have just been "donated" one of these. It's in pretty poor condition. most definately not in working order. definately some components missing :shock:
Great - free stompbox? That's what the site is all about
the3secondrule wrote:I'll get some guts up if anyone is interested, but it seems pretty well documented already.
No, we are not interested in guts of vintage pedals! :hmmm: :roll: :roll:
Look at the number of views on some of the threads here - don't ask.
the3secondrule wrote:how does this guy sound?
anyone got any sound samples?
Come on! Ask google or start soldering, you got the pedal.
the3secondrule wrote:I'm wondering whether it is worth trying to get this puppy running again, or if I should gut it, and put something else in there (thinking maybe a superfuzz clone, with either a chicken salad or a wah...)
Don't gut it for something else, just restore it to the working original circuit, then kick it on Ebay with some samples. The money you get from that will buy you a stash of components to build anything you like.
You got it for free!
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: GGG Phase45
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

modman wrote:
No, we are not interested in guts of vintage pedals! :hmmm: :roll: :roll:
Look at the number of views on some of the threads here - don't ask.

Come on! Ask google or start soldering, you got the pedal.

Don't gut it for something else, just restore it to the working original circuit, then kick it on Ebay with some samples. The money you get from that will buy you a stash of components to build anything you like.
You got it for free!
Alright, I'll post some guts :D I realise that was a bit of a daft question.

Google has little info on this guy, couldn't find any demo's which is why I asked.
So I guess I'll have to get it running, If I like it, I'll keep it. if not, I may just pull the guts, and build something else in there. It's a cool case :mrgreen: don't really wanna sell it :mrgreen:

J
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yes, please don't gut it. I seriously doubt that guild will ever make a fuzz/wah again, and it would be a shame to destroy a vintage piece. even if these old pedals were poorly constructed, and some might not even sound that great, but still- they are a little bit of history that will never again be duplicated.

want to gut a wah? there's about a million gcb95's out there! :wink:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

There still isn't an established schematic for this pedal, you should at least note the resistors and capacitor values.
jrod wrote:Just found this schematic on ebay.
Guild FW-3 Schem.jpg
theehman wrote:
analogguru wrote:I didn´t control everything yet, but the 220k at the input of the wah section is wrong and should be 56k instead. The 10n feedback-cap shouldn´t be connected to the base, instead it should be connected to the junction between the 1k5 and the coil.
analogguru
You're right about the 18n feedback cap but on my unit it does have the 220k at the wah input, not 56k. It seems to vary as I've traced out a couple of Guild wahs and found 68k and 100k in that spot.
theehman wrote:
jrod wrote:Did the fuzz section look anything like schem I posted?
It looked like the one on the original Guild schematic, with a few parts differences. The wah was completely different, though.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

theehman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by theehman »

Here's the schematic I drew out of my unit. I fixed the capacitor placement analogguru mentioned earlier but the 220k resistor is correct in my unit.
GuildFW3.jpg
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Hey, can someone tell me what 1M to ground/27K/220K/.005uF snippet above the volume pot of the fuzz section is? Is that some kind of tone thing? :scratch:

Thanks for the posting the updated schematic, theehman!

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Here's my stab at it,

The 1m is probably a pull down resistor for the fuzz switch. The 27k, 220k, .005uf cap combo is a tone filter. Providing lower impedance for the high end. That signal is always there when the pedal is engaged. When the fuzz is switched on you blend in that signal with the original one. Its sort of the same thing as a FY-2 where Q1's output has a fixed output and Q2's out of phase output is blended in with it. Should sound pretty nasty.

--Brad

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

Ok - coupla questions to get my resto job underway.

theehman - what is the value of the wah pot in your fw3?

and I'm assuming a standard wah inductor (500mH) will do the trick here - but does anyone know of a source for those radial inductors (if i'm gonna do it, might as well do it right) as in the pics here: http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/guild/fw3

Cheers

J
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Solidhex wrote:Here's my stab at it,

The 1m is probably a pull down resistor for the fuzz switch. The 27k, 220k, .005uf cap combo is a tone filter. Providing lower impedance for the high end. That signal is always there when the pedal is engaged. When the fuzz is switched on you blend in that signal with the original one. Its sort of the same thing as a FY-2 where Q1's output has a fixed output and Q2's out of phase output is blended in with it. Should sound pretty nasty.

--Brad
Thanks, man!

the3secondrule
Solder Soldier
Information
Fuzz Factory Clone
Shin Ei Companion Fuzz
EHX LPB
Fuzz Face
Zvex Machine
GGG Green Ringer
woolly mammoth
SHO
Microamp
Noise swash
Phaseur Fleur
Catalinbread SVT
valvecaster
CE2 Chorus
Aquapuss

Post by the3secondrule »

I can confirm that the volume and depth pots on my Fw3 are both 10k (measured off the pcb). unsre of the taper. would still love to know the original value of the wah pot...

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

should be similar to the Guild - pics from facebook
Attachments
84529211_10220280798783112_4642617092992925696_o.jpg
88976140_10220280803103220_2592236664076107776_o.jpg
85135304_10220280802143196_4594535041488388096_o.jpg

Fab777666
Information

Post by Fab777666 »

Hello everybody !
Can you tell me how to do for having permission to view files attached in the forum please ?
I need the guild fw 3 schematics...
Thanks

Fab777666
Information

Post by Fab777666 »

Sorry....it works !