Aquaboy ver.2 - Aqua Puss board ordering info and document  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
gitaar0
Information

Post by gitaar0 »

destro wrote:Well, I tried the trim pot idea and it did not work. t is still distorted. Only way to fix is turning down guitar volume. Initial sound is fine, but delay signal distorts especially on low notes. I started by setting bias to pass signal and then adjusted clock to get rid of whine. Cancel made no audible difference. I've been testing with feedback at 0 so I get only one repeat to hear it better. I also fine tuned voltage going to v3205 and it is sitting at 7.5.

Did you use the ne570 or ne571? I am using the 570 as I read it didn't make a difference. I also used a 2n5089 for q2.
What I meant with setting the trimpots right is the trimpots of the aquapuss setting clock, bias and cancel. This is a very precise job that is not easy by ear but possible. If you are sure that those are set right then try the mod I suggested.

I used a NE570 but tried a NE 571 too with not much difference.

It might still be thta there is another mistake. Try reflowing your solder (remove the chips if you have them on sockets). Watch the heat.

Marc

andersom
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Valvepower 18 watt

Post by andersom »

hi all,

finally got some time to build up the Aquapuss :)
i have a question can i sub C26 with 33nf?
i cant find the 39n at my dealer..

I hope somebody can help me out.

thanks as always!

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

10% Tollerance says why not :thumbsup

Can always stick a 4.7n in Parallel with it anyway.

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

andersom wrote:hi all,

finally got some time to build up the Aquapuss :)
i have a question can i sub C26 with 33nf?
i cant find the 39n at my dealer..

I hope somebody can help me out.

thanks as always!
I used 33n in place of 39n in all of my AquaPuss-based builds, including the AquaBoy. They all sound just fine!

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ieatyouforbreakfast »

Just finished, and it works. However, I'm pretty sure I have a fake MN3005. I biased it as best I could (spent about an hour getting it right) and compared delay times with my MN3205 original Boss DM-2, and the Aquaboy's max delay time is nowhere close the DM-2's. I'd say about 2/3 the time of my DM-2 max delay.

Is that a sign of a fake chip? Or is the Aquaboy supposed to have inherently short repeats

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

ieatyouforbreakfast wrote:Just finished, and it works. However, I'm pretty sure I have a fake MN3005. I biased it as best I could (spent about an hour getting it right) and compared delay times with my MN3205 original Boss DM-2, and the Aquaboy's max delay time is nowhere close the DM-2's. I'd say about 2/3 the time of my DM-2 max delay.

Is that a sign of a fake chip? Or is the Aquaboy supposed to have inherently short repeats
Pictures of the MN3005 I used. It looks legit but why is my delay so short?

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

probably (but I'm not completely sure) you've bought a remarked MN3008 :wink:

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Is there any other reason why my delay time might be short? I just want to be sure before I drop another thirty on a MN3005

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

ieatyouforbreakfast wrote:Is there any other reason why my delay time might be short? I just want to be sure before I drop another thirty on a MN3005
Clock Cap or Wrong Delay Pot, Check Around the MN3101 for any wrong values (R20-22, C20-21).

coi2001
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by coi2001 »

Madbean: when will you have more boards available?
Regards
Costantino

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

a video of the problem. DM-2 first, then Aquaboy

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Just checked the values Scruffie posted. Everything is as it should be. Ordered a new chip to try, but could it be anything other than the chip? The one I have seems legit and now UTSource is saying the MN3005 should be legit, so I'm not sure what to believe

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Too many: www.danielzink.com

Post by danielzink »

The only thing that bothers me about your chip is the logo on the bottom.

From what I can see in your pics - it looks like there's just just a tiny "diamond" imprinted into the middle of the large circle on the bottom ?

All my 3005's - every one has - (and has had) a large letter and/or a large number imprinted into the middle of the circle. edit: I just went and checked all mine and they all have a two digit code in the middle of the circle. Some are side by side and some are stacked one on top of the other.

I keep this thread bookmarked: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8116&p=90518&hilit=mn3005#p90518

when someone starts asking about 3005's.

Dan
http://www.danielzink.com
MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

I checked my chip again, and the picture just doesn't show it, but the bottom is marked with "2A" in a diagonal pattern. Everything says that this chip is legit except the delay time. Do MN3008 look the same as MN3005 minus the functionality and stamp?

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

ieatyouforbreakfast wrote:I checked my chip again, and the picture just doesn't show it, but the bottom is marked with "2A" in a diagonal pattern. Everything says that this chip is legit except the delay time. Do MN3008 look the same as MN3005 minus the functionality and stamp?

MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

for reference:

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Thanks for the pics, Dan! I'm beginning to think the chip I have might just be a relabled MN3008. I guess I'll find out when my other MN3005 comes in.

Merry Christmas!

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

ieatyouforbreakfast wrote:Thanks for the pics, Dan! I'm beginning to think the chip I have might just be a relabled MN3008. I guess I'll find out when my other MN3005 comes in.

Merry Christmas!
unfortunately there're a lot of remarked MN3008 on the market... In fact when I've built my AP, I've choosen the V3205 option because the MN are too expensive and there're a lot of fake chips :slap:

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

I ordered two Aquaboy PCBs from madbean awhile back, not sure think its over a month ago? but anyway got them pretty quickly! great quality boards! very happy with them! and also had a 9-18V mini pcb thrown in too which i thought was a very nice touch! Much appreciated! Thankx Madbean!

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by danielzink »

Dan