beginner schematic questions

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
atomicrock5
Information

Post by atomicrock5 »

Ok, im trying to figure out the meaning of those half circle, hump looking lines in amp diagrams. arent those transistors? how do you tell which wire goes were?
basically i need a little help reading schematics. also what do those circles with the three lines (that look like sideways Pi) in them mean.

atomicrock5
Information

Post by atomicrock5 »

.....or any of the lines in those circles.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Turnerguitar
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Super Reverb/Twin
Completed builds: Super Duper 2-1, Box of Rock, King of Tone

Post by Turnerguitar »

atomicrock5 wrote:Ok, im trying to figure out the meaning of those half circle, hump looking lines in amp diagrams. arent those transistors? how do you tell which wire goes were?
basically i need a little help reading schematics. also what do those circles with the three lines (that look like sideways Pi) in them mean.
http://www.opamp-electronics.com/tutori ... /03006.png

Like that? Those are tubes, if I understand your question. These videos helped me understand what was goin on a little bit

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

:lol: :applause:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

People who are too stupid to Google or even just post a link to what they are talking about, cannot be helped, please don't try...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Turnerguitar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Turnerguitar »

modman wrote:People who are too stupid to Google or even just post a link to what they are talking about, cannot be helped, please don't try...
But I can't help thinking that fella is just like my dad or grandpa who don't know a thing about the internet or computers but just want to learn and read and ask questions (whether he is or not, i don't know). And when I picture my dad hunting and pecking on the keyboard, taking 10 minutes to write that question, my heart turns to mush and I can't resist trying to help. Of course, I have a very limited knowledge myself, but, I've been helped out a lot on this forum, so I figure if I can at least point him in the right direction, maybe I've started payin it forward :D

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Turnerguitar wrote:
modman wrote:People who are too stupid to Google or even just post a link to what they are talking about, cannot be helped, please don't try...
But I can't help thinking that fella is just like my dad or grandpa who don't know a thing about the internet or computers but just want to learn and read and ask questions (whether he is or not, i don't know). And when I picture my dad hunting and pecking on the keyboard, taking 10 minutes to write that question, my heart turns to mush and I can't resist trying to help. Of course, I have a very limited knowledge myself, but, I've been helped out a lot on this forum, so I figure if I can at least point him in the right direction, maybe I've started payin it forward :D
Fair enough, you were great, but I cannot resist thinking somebody is taking a piss at us. He's looking at a tube amp schematic wanting to connect wires and is not aware amplification is done by tubes? From what I hear, signing up here isn't easy either... :oops:
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Turnerguitar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Turnerguitar »

modman wrote:
Turnerguitar wrote:
Fair enough, you were great, but I cannot resist thinking somebody is taking a piss at us. He's looking at a tube amp schematic wanting to connect wires and is not aware amplification is done by tubes? From what I hear, signing up here isn't easy either... :oops:
Yeah, hadn't thought of that. guess it's kinda like a guy asking me for money at a gas station the other day--said his car was out of gas. I thought for a second, and gave him a few bucks. My reasoning for it was, if I'm stingy with it and refuse helping him, the blame is falling on me. But if he's lying about it, the blame's on him. So, I just try to be helpful in case he really does need help, and if he's try to play games with us, shame on him :D

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

Bravo. How the hell did you do that!
I felt simple and i didn't even ask the question haha.
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!

Tonetweaker
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Tonetweaker »

Turnerguitar wrote:Yeah, hadn't thought of that. guess it's kinda like a guy asking me for money at a gas station the other day--said his car was out of gas. I thought for a second, and gave him a few bucks. My reasoning for it was, if I'm stingy with it and refuse helping him, the blame is falling on me. But if he's lying about it, the blame's on him. So, I just try to be helpful in case he really does need help, and if he's try to play games with us, shame on him :D
I've had the gas station thing happen to me not too long ago... and I tend to think the same way. If I give a guy a few bucks because he seems to be in need of a little help, it's certainly not going to break my bank account, and maybe I've accomplished something positive in a sometimes cynical and heartless world. If, on the other hand, the guy is simply taking me for a ride... well, I'm still only out a couple of bucks... and I'd like to think that karma tends to right wrongs like that in the end.

Same goes for helping someone with a seemingly-"noob" question on the Web. In that case, it costs me absolutely nothing (besides a couple of minutes of my time) to provide the right answer... and if someone is so pathetic and bored that he gets a laugh by asking the question like that just to waste someone's time, well... I guess he probably needs all the help he can get anyway, am I right? :lol:

That said, the Google link made me laugh too. :mrgreen:

Cheers...
Steve
In Soviet Russia, dirt box fucks YOU!! ~ Seiche

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

bigmufffuzzwizz wrote:
Bravo. How the hell did you do that!
I felt simple and i didn't even ask the question haha.
:lol: it's a geeky thing that went round the office a while ago... now anyone in the room asks an easily googlable (yes that's a word, I made it up!) question, the standard response is "oh, let me google that for you" (hence the site name lmgtfy.com)
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

Hahaha never heard of that site, but I can't tell you how many times I've said that phrase. I mean you did prove a very simple point! And very well executed might I add. :P
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!