Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Germanium Gold LTD  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

Hey FSB members, I haven't seen much discussion in the area of Pigtronix and I feel that they are coming up with some new ideas as far as effect pedals go. This is their compressor pedal, actually a limited edition version. The only thing that's different, from my understanding, is that a germanium transistor is used in the "GRIT" "engine" in this particular version.

I really like the way the switch and jacks are connected, seems reliable to me? :block: It looks to be extremely difficult to trace from just pictures, and past what I could do with the pedal in my hand.

Is that 12 diodes?

What’s the big black guy to the left of the 1uF 50V cap?

Is that the germ in the bottom left?

What’s with the empty TP3/TP2 connections on the component-side of the PCB?

Anyways, just wanted to share this cool pedal with everyone.
-JWP
Attachments
Trace-side of PCB
Trace-side of PCB
DSCN228250%.jpg (300.82 KiB) Viewed 8701 times
Front of PCB (Where's the germ in this?)
Front of PCB (Where's the germ in this?)
DSCN227450%.jpg (344.58 KiB) Viewed 8701 times
Empty enclosure
Empty enclosure
102_0031.JPG (939.06 KiB) Viewed 8701 times
Inside of the pedal, all connected
Inside of the pedal, all connected
102_0030.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 8701 times
Rear view of enclosure
Rear view of enclosure
102_0027.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 8701 times
Front view of enclosure (with knobs removed)
Front view of enclosure (with knobs removed)
102_0026.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 8701 times

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

jwpartain1 wrote:Hey FSB members, I haven't seen much discussion in the area of Pigtronix and I feel that they are coming up with some new ideas as far as effect pedals go. This is their compressor pedal, actually a limited edition version. The only thing that's different, from my understanding, is that a germanium transistor is used in the "GRIT" "engine" in this particular version.

I really like the way the switch and jacks are connected, seems reliable to me? :block: It looks to be extremely difficult to trace from just pictures, and past what I could do with the pedal in my hand.

Is that 12 diodes?
I Didn't Count, Quite a Few though!
What’s the big black guy to the left of the 1uF 50V cap?
A Vactrol (The Optical Part)
Is that the germ in the bottom left?
Polarity Protection Diode (Probably a 1N400x), the Germanium looks to me to be attached to that Red LED, probably just a Germanium Diode in the Clipping... bit of a cop out.
What’s with the empty TP3/TP2 connections on the component-side of the PCB?
Not sure... something to do with alternative power or remnants of a different PCB version.

Anyways, just wanted to share this cool pedal with everyone.
-JWP

Thanks for Sharing! Nice to see what's in there, Howard Davis at it again.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Those TP3/TP2 connections are "Test Points",these are for adjusting certain voltages or signals in the circuit using trimpots,so that the circuit works correctly..... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

DrNomis wrote:Those TP3/TP2 connections are "Test Points",these are for adjusting certain voltages or signals in the circuit using trimpots,so that the circuit works correctly..... :)
Ahhh of course, couldn't quite cotton on to that abbreviation.

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

OK, cool.

These guys soldered these surface-mount parts by hand?!

How is it a cop-out if the germ is meant to be just in the clipping? I mean, what else would you use it for in this pedal? Just wondering :)

Thanks for all the answers to the n00b questions, still learning. So this looks to be a pain to trace then?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

jwpartain1 wrote:OK, cool.

These guys soldered these surface-mount parts by hand?!

How is it a cop-out if the germ is meant to be just in the clipping? I mean, what else would you use it for in this pedal? Just wondering :)

Thanks for all the answers to the n00b questions, still learning. So this looks to be a pain to trace then?
These are through-hole parts like we all use, not surface mount, the resistors are 1/2 Watt so they're a bit smaller but still workable so yeah, they soldered it by hand.

Well... they charge alot more for a single Germanium Diode that probably cost $1 and use the Germanium Buzz word in the advertising to charge a higher amount for it where as really it's just clipping, not a Germanium Transistor which is what it could be construed as and what mojo hunters want.

It's not really a cop out, just marketing really.

Actually, not that I can trace myself yet, it might be possible for someone to yeah, might need a few more shots to be sure of all the tracks but it's a good start.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

I still want to know where they get those switches. it looks like they are manufactured with the leads on. if not, they do a hell of a nice job of lead dress. why in the world would they need that massive filter cap? 2200uF? :shock: and I kind it kind of curious that the DC input is right next to the signal input. it seems to be good practice to keep those things separated.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

This special version was actually 10 bucks more, while it was available at PGS. I also wondered why you would use a 50V cap? There's two.. :scratch:

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

RnFR wrote: why in the world would they need that massive filter cap? 2200uF? :shock:
G2D Cream Tone has a 2200uF cap on the power supply also.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

OK, so I rehoused everything, put my daughter to sleep, ate some dinner, and I really really want to trace this thing.. I've got it back out, but I need some help! In the area circled in red, are those connected there?
Attachments
OK.jpg
OK.jpg (300.2 KiB) Viewed 8634 times

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

jwpartain1 wrote:OK, so I rehoused everything, put my daughter to sleep, ate some dinner, and I really really want to trace this thing.. I've got it back out, but I need some help! In the area circled in red, are those connected there?
It looks to me like the top 2 are, but not the other 2.. but just check with a multimeter.

Some pads are probably connected to the ground plane with small traces, so keep an eye out for that (they'll often seem to be pads that go nowhere).
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

Man, this thing is puttin' a good whippin' on me. The parts are so close together. What do you reckon the signal should first see? I lose the signal under that fat cap on the left of the board.. :?

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

I reckon the footswitch is wired like this:
Footswitch Wiring.png
Footswitch Wiring.png (10.21 KiB) Viewed 8579 times
Here's my incomplete attempt at tracing the circuit from the photos... there's plenty of missing connections since I couldn't see where they are connected. I haven't shown the ground planes yet, as I wanted to keep it clutter free until I worked out the missing parts.
PCB Trace - First Draft.png
If my footswitch wiring guess is accurate, then the input signal should first hit both the resistor soldered on the back of the footswitch connector, and C9, on it's way to U1 (I think it reads 'NE5532P', which makes it a dual opamp).

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Forgot to mention that in lieu of the ground plane, I've started to mark the ground connections with a "G" symbol.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

I think the switch is probably just heatshrunk.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

Below what you've got labeled as C12 there, that's a 15ohm (from what I can see: brown, green, black, gold, brown) resistor.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:I think the switch is probably just heatshrunk.
yeah, you are probably right. i just remembered that some places sell those black switches. it does look nice, though.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

PmCimini
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by PmCimini »

Why so many different opamps?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

Greg_G wrote:
RnFR wrote: why in the world would they need that massive filter cap? 2200uF? :shock:
G2D Cream Tone has a 2200uF cap on the power supply also.
what else is interesting is that it is a 10V cap, and this thing takes an 18V adapter. so, maybe it's filtering Vref. that should be somewhere around 9V.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

jwpartain1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jwpartain1 »

mysticwhiskey, could you post that Incomplete Layout in a file type I could edit in Msoft paint? Thanks! I'm slowly getting this.