Warhead - Univibe project for the peoples  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

This is a development thread for a Univibe project I will be releasing to the DIY community. In light of recent events, I thought it might be fun to donate a Univibe project with some different mods and alternate layout. This is not the Forum Vibe, but it will have a couple of its features. Some tweaks have been made to the FV mods, as well as switching all the polarized 1uF caps to spacings for film and other minor value adjustments.

This project is not meant as a rebuke to Brad's project, which I know he spent a lot of time developing. Rather, it is one that I have created to release for use by the DIY community in any way it wants to. There are no restrictions, license, royalties, fees, permissions or other needed to be granted or given by me for any use of this layout. I have no commercial aspirations for it...so, use and abuse away!

Here is the schematic for the project so far. I will post the layout after I've done some final checking. Also, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have with the schematic ahead of time!

The layout currently will fit in a 1590BB and has PCB mounted pots for the Volume and Intensity controls....and no jumpers :)

Cheers! Brian
Warhead_Schematic.gif

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Looking pretty cool so far Madbean, the schematic looks fine... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

No jumpers eh? We never would have thought it possible! ;)

Sounds like a cool project, glad for the oboard pots.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

Madbean kicks ass yet again... You deserve an award my friend. :applause:
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

himister
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by himister »

Way to go Mr Brian...excellent! :thumbsup :applause:
I knew (and hoped :wink: ) you would do something like that!

Bulb offset looks better and nice to see included regulated supply on schematic, guess you've included everything on pcb design!

Respect and cheers :hug:

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

You're my hero Brian :) Now I'm getting excited ;) I wish I could do anything to help with PCB design, but at this time and level of my skills I can't. The best I can is vero.

Anyway. I hope at some point you will offer fabbed PCB with this but to use in wah enclosure. I guess the only way to do it is to design double sized PCB, so it's not to DIY friendly

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

madbean wrote: Here is the schematic for the project so far. I will post the layout after I've done some final checking. Also, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have with the schematic ahead of time!
Nice one Brian! :thumbsup Why not calculate the values of the padding resistors for the "C" curve dual-pot, so you can use a dual linear that's much easier to get?
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Great work, Bean!
sinner wrote:Anyway. I hope at some point you will offer fabbed PCB with this but to use in wah enclosure. I guess the only way to do it is to design double sized PCB, so it's not to DIY friendly
If they are fabbed, then double-sided is no problem anyway. It's hard to *etch* a double-sided layout, but it's just as easy for the designer if fabbed boards are one or two-sided. Actually two-sided is easier because it offers all sorts of little tricks for routing and component placement.

Maybe for a wah-sized board, having some of the components be SMD would help shrink the size of the board? Or at least go with 1/8-watt resistors and multilayer ceramic/monolithic caps (for the sub-1u values).

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I never dealed with SMD components myself. For some reason it still scares me off. maybe because I had no chance to try it yet

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Maybe 1/8W resistors would allow a wah-board without needing SMD.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Guys, thanks! But, save the praise until I have a working PCB, ha ha.

I will be doing a Univibe PCB through madbeanpedals pretty soon but it won't be this design. This one is just for DIY and whatever else.
Why not calculate the values of the padding resistors for the "C" curve dual-pot, so you can use a dual linear that's much easier to get?
Lemme see about that. Thanks!

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Maybe 1/8W resistors would allow a wah-board without needing SMD.
That's what I said. :blackeye

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Maybe 1/8W resistors would allow a wah-board without needing SMD.
I'm pretty sure I can pull that off but I'm going to release the non-wah (traditional) version first.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

madbean wrote:
I'm pretty sure I can pull that off but I'm going to release the non-wah (traditional) version first.

Another reason to wake up every morning!

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

sinner wrote:
madbean wrote:

Another reason to wake up every morning!
Thanks for this MB! The schematic is fantastic.

Forget the little board to fit in a wah idea :P :wink:
Perhaps it'd be cool to be able to add a jack for an expression pedal?? ...so you could be very old school and Hendrix-like and not care about all that pedal board nonsense :mrgreen:

Yet to break through the Space Charge

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

sinner wrote:I never dealed with SMD components myself. For some reason it still scares me off. maybe because I had no chance to try it yet
SMD is a real pain if your work bench is on thick-ish carpet and you're as awkward a fumbling mess as I am :oops:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

One addendum: I've decided that once the project is finalized, I will also release the Eagle files that go along with it....schematic, layout and library. This will be an akin to an 'open source' development, so you can modify the design however you wish, or use the schematic to create an entirely different layout. This has been done on FSB several times by others, and by Gaussmarkov too, so we might as well go all the way with this. Could lead to all sorts of cool breakout designs.

Steven_M
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Steven_M »

madbean wrote:One addendum: I've decided that once the project is finalized, I will also release the Eagle files that go along with it....schematic, layout and library. This will be an akin to an 'open source' development, so you can modify the design however you wish, or use the schematic to create an entirely different layout. This has been done on FSB several times by others, and by Gaussmarkov too, so we might as well go all the way with this. Could lead to all sorts of cool breakout designs.
This is very generous of you to do. Eagle is one of those things I've been dicking around with long enough that I should be better at it than I am. This could be just the project needed to really jump start myself and a lot of others, so big up yourself rudeboy, as they say.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

This is the preliminary layout. I'll hold off just a bit longer before posting the PCB image...I think I have time to build it first!

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Actually, I think there is enough room on the lower right to add a little rectifier action. That would be good since I have an 18vAC plug.