Ampotor, need help

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
7dust
Information

Post by 7dust »

Hi folks,

I just finish Ampotor from TONEPAD, i'm testing it sound's great very good clean sound, and when i connect to the DC jack it works fine, true-bypass works fine also, the problem when i use 9v batery it doesn´t work.. I also use tonepad offboard wiring nº 5..

Any help would be great, thanks

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Got a photo of your DC jack / battery wiring? Check that the correct pins have been wired to the battery. Also, make sure you're using a known good 9V battery - that's caught me out before :slap:

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Also, what DC jack are you using? Got a multimeter? Check the continuity between the battery snap terminals and the end of the wires to see if there's a break there.

7dust
Information

Post by 7dust »

Hi thanks

I check continuity between bat and terminal, i also use the multimeter, i notice that i have on DC JAck, 9,50 volts i saw connection betwen jack ( red bat) to tip of Stereo Jack.

7dust
Information

Post by 7dust »

But the red of DC jack ( 9 Bat ) and the sleeve of jack stereo is 0 volts.. with 3 pdt on and off

i just ceck that the DC jack (9 bat ) and the tip stereo as 9,5 volts.. with 3PDT on and OFF

7dust
Information

Post by 7dust »

7dust
Information

Post by 7dust »

Hummm, when i plug power on jack dc i get 9,05 on circuit and 9,05 on ground of circuit,

when i use bat i get 9,50 on circuit i have 0 volts on circuit, i think the problem is the DC JACK... that works with power and not work with battery 9v

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

Are you using a metal enclosure? If so, those DC jacks will ground the power connector's barrel to the chassis. If you're using a negative-center power supply then that will cause problems. If you're using a center-positive supply then that will work, but you need to make sure you're wiring up the terminals correctly.

Edit: Just noticed you said you've got +ve voltage on the ground. You're better off buying a different type of DC jack. Get one that's isolated from the chassis (get a plastic one). Then you can wire it up like this:
StompboxBatteryDCJackWiring.png
This wiring diagram applies to negative-center power supplies, and with these types of DC jacks:

http://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com/imag ... C_jack.jpg

7dust
Information

Post by 7dust »

Grateful Thanks,

Yes, my enclosure is metal, and the problem is the metal dc jack is not isolated... :)

I'll try difent dc jack...

7dust
Information

Post by 7dust »

Hi finally the battery problem is resolved, the problem was that i was used mono input jack, and i change it to a stereo jack and it work well.. :mrgreen:

thanks, hope