Where can I get PCB's made????

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
jsrfo
Information

Post by jsrfo »

I've designed a dual layer PCB for a project and would like to know where someone can get printed circuit boards done at reasonable costs.

I used a program called Express PCB, and although they have a board service, four boards are $175.00, which is kind of steep for something I don't really know that will work. The circuit it self does work on a breadboard or strip board, but, I'm new to PCB design.

I'd like to see if the layout works, and I'd also like to get a lower per board cost than $43/board, even if it does work.

Thanks

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

be kind to all animals - especially human beings

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

I use this all the time for small runs. $5 per sq. inch and it's very good quality. Laen is a terrific dude!

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Only futurlec will build from ExpressPCB files. You should learn some "real" software as soon as you feel up to it (lots of tutorials around for EAGLECAD)
Testing, testing, won too fwee

jsrfo
Information

Post by jsrfo »

Yeah, I know. I attempted Eagle, and have it on the computer. But for me, certain types of software aren't intuitive. Eagle reminds me of AutoCad, and I have a hell of a time drawing a line with that type of software. I really will need to learn a more mainstream software, for sure.

Does anyone have a source that will do a conversion from Express PCB to gerber files? I talked to Laen, and he does not do that. Otherwise, I'd gladly use his services. Seems like a good guy.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Nobody's even sure how Futurlec are fabbing with them.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I've ordered from a few places now but the cheapest by far was Futurlec. It took about 3 weeks for my order to arrive, but I'm not impatient and there's always plenty of other things for me to do while I'm waiting.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

madbean wrote:http://www.dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order

I use this all the time for small runs. $5 per sq. inch and it's very good quality. Laen is a terrific dude!
Shit, Imma check this out. :thumbsup

Laen
Information

Post by Laen »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Nobody's even sure how Futurlec are fabbing with them.
I researched this a while back, and the general consensus seems to be that that ExpressPCB will let you export to DXF for free, so they do that, then convert DXF to Gerber using some tool (The Googles says that there are some available).

You'd have to do that for each layer of the board:
* Top copper
* Top Silkscreen
* Top Soldermask
* Bottom copper
* Bottom Silkscreen
* Bottom Soldermask
* Drills
* Board outline (though this is probably one one of the other layers)

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Hello Laen, you hero of cheap fabbing you. Googling your own name or just tracking your links? ;)

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Hello Laen, you hero of cheap fabbing you. Googling your own name or just tracking your links? ;)
Just had some emails with Laen, and he seems like a really cool guy. :thumbsup

Laen
Information

Post by Laen »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Hello Laen, you hero of cheap fabbing you. Googling your own name or just tracking your links? ;)
Ha. I'm a modern-day Kibo.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

welcome Mr. Laen! i've actually been to a Dorkbot Chicago meeting. and i might be getting a hold of you for some of those pcbs. :thumbsup
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

RnFR wrote:welcome Mr. Laen! i've actually been to a Dorkbot Chicago meeting. and i might be getting a hold of you for some of those pcbs. :thumbsup
This months' deadline is April 25. Get on it!!!

I just submitted three different layouts for short-run fabbing. I'm beyond thrilled at the opportunity to have nice boards made for such an unbelievably low price. I'm getting 15 PCBs total (and that's split among three layouts) for about $65 shipped, which is friggin insane cheap for prototyping. This includes plated through holes, solder mask (both sides), and silk screen (both sides). I don't think 2-sided short runs get any cheaper.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Honestly, the quality is astonishing. And you get solder mask on both sides!

You can get your layouts so neat when they're double sided too.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I have a feeling that Mr Laen is going to be quite popular round these parts!
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I thought originally that these were monthly orders. It turns out that they pretty much WEEKLY.

Also, the solder mask is purple!

[smilie=muffin.gif]

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Dammit, I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Now the panels are gonna fill up before I can get mine in!

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

madbean wrote:Dammit, I shoulda kept my mouth shut. Now the panels are gonna fill up before I can get mine in!
Naw, you'll still get in.

Too bad he's not running this as a pyramid scheme, as you'd be rolling in the dough pretty soon. :lol:

DaveKerr
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg M-15
Dynacord Preference 500
Completed builds: Fuzz Face (2)
Tonebender MKII (3)
ROG Tri-Vibe
PAiA Ring Mod kit
Ring Mod based on Tim E schematic (2)
Rangemaster
CNO
ROG Splitter-Blender
Clari (Not) cubed deluxe

Post by DaveKerr »

It's about time I get off my ass and learn how to use Eagle - I've been half-assing mods, like hanging voltage invertor vero boards off DC jacks and stuffing multiple leads into oversized holes for heat compensation diodes on Fuzz Face boards. Why not go from breadboard straight to something you're not embarrassed to take the cover off?
... multiple LFO waveforms (saw up, saw down, triangle, square); a more flexible envelope with attack/release controls as well as inverted envelope. I am afraid it will have more knobs than the TGP annual convention - frequencycentral