MAGNUS MODULUS - PROJECT - PT2399 ECHO/Chorus/Tremolo/Boost  [documentation]

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
collingtech
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by collingtech »

i finish mine and i got some problem , the gain does not work at all, any tip for it?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Very Cool!!!!.... :thumbsup

I have about 5 or 6 spare PT2399 ICs, so I'll be ordering a PCB for this project soon... :D

Thanks for contributing this project to Freestompboxes.org, cheers.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

mattzan
Information

Post by mattzan »

Hello there,

I'm a little bit confused. What off wiring schem should I use? Some people built with different schems.

Thank you!

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

mattzan wrote:Hello there,

I'm a little bit confused. What off wiring schem should I use? Some people built with different schems.

Thank you!
Use the schematics in the first post to wire all the switches and LED's. It's all there.

mattzan
Information

Post by mattzan »

I tried the off wiring diagram on pdf but it didn't work out (the leds don't even go on) and I saw on the first build picture on first page, and it has a wire that connects the 2 3dpdts that the wiring diagram on pdf doesn't show. It has only one possible diagram?

Sorry for my bad english.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I guarantee the wiring in the first post's schematics works. I've done it a few times using them. Your LED's might be backwards or you need to learn how to wire up a switch.

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

anyone making boards for these, or does permission exist for board fabricators to produce these such as GuitarPCB.com ?

thanks

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

LaceSensor wrote:anyone making boards for these, or does permission exist for board fabricators to produce these such as GuitarPCB.com ?

thanks
The creator mentioned in the first couple of pages of the thread that this one is free use. So feel free to have boards fabricated off the layout.

ALDOUSCROSS
Information

Post by ALDOUSCROSS »

smallest so far i think working

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

merlinb wrote:The 5532 is kinda current hungry (not to mention noisy in a stompbox),
1. It's no more "current hungry" than any other bipolar op-amp! :scratch:

2. It's one of the quietest op-amps available! :!:

The NE5532 is a truly excellent device for many stompbox designs because of its low output impedance, tendancy not to "latch-up" and very low noise.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

ALDOUSCROSS wrote:Image

smallest so far i think working
you gonna share??? :)

merlinb
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by merlinb »

mictester wrote: 1. It's no more "current hungry" than any other bipolar op-amp! :scratch:
It sucks about 5 times more supply current than a TL072.
2. It's one of the quietest op-amps available!
It has low voltage noise (like any BJT opamp) but a LOT more current noise, and that's what really matters in a circuit like this with such large feedback resistances. The input buffer alone generates ~1mV noise from this alone, around 20 times more than a TL072. The 5532 is more appropriate in low-Z circuits.

OnTheTundra
Information

Post by OnTheTundra »

Can anyone tell me why Im only getting one repeat from the delay? Everything else works fine but just one repeat out of the delay.
Thanks

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

merlinb wrote:
mictester wrote: 1. It's no more "current hungry" than any other bipolar op-amp! :scratch:
It sucks about 5 times more supply current than a TL072.
2. It's one of the quietest op-amps available!
It has low voltage noise (like any BJT opamp) but a LOT more current noise, and that's what really matters in a circuit like this with such large feedback resistances. The input buffer alone generates ~1mV noise from this alone, around 20 times more than a TL072. The 5532 is more appropriate in low-Z circuits.
¿What 'bout TL2272? It's line array and very low noisy too...

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

OnTheTundra wrote:Can anyone tell me why Im only getting one repeat from the delay? Everything else works fine but just one repeat out of the delay.
Thanks
Check the wiring of the Feedback pot and the surrounding components.
Multiple repeats (aka echo) is performed by re-injecting the delayed signal in the delay line again and again ...
I only give negative feedback.

tyzjames
Information

Post by tyzjames »

Here is mine..

I rehoused it as I realised there was no use for 3 foot switches.

Got some problems with the feedback knob tho. I'm only getting one repeat unless the feedback knob is maxed out then I'll get a few more... Anyone knows whats the problem?

JohnBlakeArnold
Information

Post by JohnBlakeArnold »

Howdy,
Long time lurker, first time poster. I have completed my first valid build of the Magnus Modulus with a board ordered from GuitarPCB.com. I really like the circuit. It does everything I expected and more with the simple boost the GAIN pot can give with everything else minimized.

But I have to tell you, despite having a great build, most of my error checking over the last three days (which I thought was the perfectly good circuit) was actually my repeated, different attempts to wire the toggle switches. I had great success with simply connecting the pads together, and controlling the various aspects of the pedal simply through the various pot configurations of the different sections.

My mini-toggels have a 3 leads: a larger center lead (from research this is the "Source") and two smaller leads on either side which the toggle determines as output. Originally, since the leads from the Magnus Modulus board are two leads, and not three, I had wired the pots with one of the smaller pot leads empty, and the leads from the board to the middle and one side respectively, such that the circuit was either open or closed. But I got noises, bass thumping heartbeats, etc.

I then thought, "hey, I guess this empty second pot lead has to go somewhere, I better send it to ground." That really didn't work out because it sounded like a screaming ground fault with no volume control.

This is when I decided to simply connect all the pads together, and test the circuit without switching other than a bypass, and it sounds great- there is no noise or uglies at all.

So while, I COULD easily use the Magnus Modulus as is, is there some way to better wire these switches. Thanks,
John Blake Arnold

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

don't wire the third toggle lug to anywhere. should be sweet.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

JohnBlakeArnold
Information

Post by JohnBlakeArnold »

That is how I originally had, and I got a thumping like a bass heartbeat. I'll go back and work on it tomorrow. If I was conceptually right, then it was a functional, building mistake. Thanks for the quick feedback! By the way, I'm super happy the board is back up, and I saw MerlinB post above. I recently bought his two books on tube pre-amps and power amps, and they will stay in my bookshelf forever and have already led me to begin building my own parallel pre-amp stage!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

hmm.. could be dud switches, but I'm not sure how that would introduce that kind of sound... :scratch:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.