Hughes & Kettner - Rotosphere  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface
Completed builds: Lots of mods to lots of pedals

Post by blackbunny »

Very nice work. I will compare it with the PCB from my Mk 1 Rotosphere over the next few days.

ssmc
Information
Completed builds: BAJA Real tube overdrive

Post by ssmc »

OK here's the update.I think this is finally finished.Maybe there is something I miss connected, but I checked, and everything seems OK by the schematic. Perhaps some lines are much too close but I hope that's not big issue, and it can be corrected easily :D

In the attachment is .LAY file for Sprint layout program.I will post exported pictures later because it's 5:22am here and I gotta go to sleep :mrgreen:
Attachments
Rotosphere.zip
This is the Sprint layout file of, what I think is, finished layout of H&K Rotosphere.
(244.7 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

I did some searching for errors and found some.Here is the .LAY file for those with Sprint layout.
Rotosphere.zip
Update
(252.41 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
blackbunny and Fredenando, do you guys have this program? If not I'll upload later the .bmp images.Program can't export .png so I am sorry about that.

One question, can .bmp be transferred to .png and later be used for PCB transfer?

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

Hello, SSMC

I have downloaded the Sprint Layout Viewer, a free utility from the software webpage to see your work progress.

I think that you can use another method that can be so useful too. You can use a program to print your designs directly to pdf, following all the need that you have. The soft is PrimoPDF and is free too: http://www.primopdf.com This software is installed as a a printer over your computer.

Here I let you one test that I made:

http://es.scribd.com/doc/58070075/Rotosphere

Note: Unfortunately so far I have not been able to do too little to carry out this project because of health problems that keeps me bedridden for several months and I do not know in what time I can be able to return to resume the activities that I enjoy like playing the guitar even. So please, I hope that all of you can excuse me for my poor and little collaboration.

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

Fredenando wrote:Hello, SSMC

I have downloaded the Sprint Layout Viewer, a free utility from the software webpage to see your work progress.

I think that you can use another method that can be so useful too. You can use a program to print your designs directly to pdf, following all the need that you have. The soft is PrimoPDF and is free too: http://www.primopdf.com This software is installed as a a printer over your computer.

Here I let you one test that I made:

http://es.scribd.com/doc/58070075/Rotosphere

Note: Unfortunately so far I have not been able to do too little to carry out this project because of health problems that keeps me bedridden for several months and I do not know in what time I can be able to return to resume the activities that I enjoy like playing the guitar even. So please, I hope that all of you can excuse me for my poor and little collaboration.

Oh man I hope you get well soon.Never mind the project we'll finish it somehow just get well.

I totally forgot about .pdf file. You converted .bmp file that I posted or you exported a new file and then coverted it into a .pdf file?

Thanks for the tip again :D

fakcior
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fakcior »

I think there will be little problem with that strange transformer (15V on primary, 250V on secondary). Anyone knows where to find it?

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

Here where I live a guy will make me a toroid for 900 RSD, which is approx. 9€. I think that's not too much.

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by blackbunny »

Here in Australia, the Altronics mail order website has a range of PCB mount mains transformers with 240v primaries and 15v secondaries which can used in reverse to obtain the HT plate voltage for the valve.

Best wishes to you, Fredenando. I hope you feel better soon!

Fredenando
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Fredenando »

Hello again and thank you so much to all.

I have printed directly from the "Sprint Layout Viewer" program having selected first the PrimoPDF as a printer, and this made directly a pdf file without conversions.

When you install PrimoPDF this acts as a printer connected in your PC, you only have to select this printer in the prints menu of any program, like in any documents, graphics or editor any kind.

It's so easy to use!!

fakcior
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fakcior »

blackbunny wrote:Here in Australia, the Altronics mail order website has a range of PCB mount mains transformers with 240v primaries and 15v secondaries which can used in reverse to obtain the HT plate voltage for the valve.

Best wishes to you, Fredenando. I hope you feel better soon!
So can I use this http://www.banzaimusic.com/Hahn-BVEI3032033.html in reverse without any other modifications?

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by blackbunny »

fakcior wrote:So can I use this http://www.banzaimusic.com/Hahn-BVEI3032033.html in reverse without any other modifications?
Yes, this seems to be very similar to the transformer that H&K used, and it should work fine, as the valve plates draw only a few milliamps each from the HT supply.

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

I will probably order both of the transformers.For the power supply and for the tube.But I think PCB will cost me fortune.I expect some 80€ at least.Still waiting for the price.

fakcior
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fakcior »

Oh, that's so much. In Poland price would be from 20e to 30e depending on taking solder mask, matallization, etc.

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

30€ max with metalization and silkscreen?Final offer is 75€ with all that stuff,and 35€ only traces.I think I'll do the PCB with silk screen and metalized holes.

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

Is there any chance to see a group order for a professional PCB? I'm interested...

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

I would like to see this PCB confirmed somehow.Guess I'll have to check it few more times, and I'll try to make one rotosphere during July and if all goes well then I'll tell you :D

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

Oh yes, some help with switching would be cool.I'm a bit lost with P04, P05 and P01 and P02.I think I see on a photo that P04 and P05 are connected (then P01 and P02 should be connected but are not) on C2 side of PCB or maybe I am seeing things :mrgreen:

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

Still found two more errors and I hope that's it (although you never know for PCB this size).
I'll also post bill of materials.It's in Serbian, but I think you'll manage.
Attachments
Rotosphere.zip
Layout
(254.28 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Rotosphere part list.xlsx
BOM
(16.57 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

Once again I need to ask for somebody to check are the tube socket holes in right place.

ssmc
Information

Post by ssmc »

And i AGAIN found some mistakes. T8, T9, T10 and T11 were not connected as they should be. This is getting more and more irritating :mrgreen: and in a week or so I plan to have this PCB made.

I will keep updating as I find more errors (my God, please no more :blackeye )

BOM stays the same. I also saw that there were ppl who downloaded files.It would be nice to share mistakes if you find them you good ppl :thumbsup

Why am I getting that feeling that I am getting boring? :mrgreen:
Attachments
Rotosphere.zip
AGAIN fixed layout
(256.29 KiB) Downloaded 313 times