Fuzz Factory NPN AC127 - PCB n Layout Inside

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Guys.

I have at my disposal a lot of AC127s so I decided to make a negative ground version of the fuzz factory

Here is the schematic

Please check if everything is okay and I hadn't made any mistakes...
Attachments
fuzzfactory pcb.pdf
(13.81 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
fuzzfactory layout.pdf
(27.65 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I just had a look at the schematic, and it appears to be all good.... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

does the FF have that power filtering cap? seems to me, that would quell any oscillations.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

adielricci
Information
Completed builds: Tube Screamer, Tube sound Fuzz, Fuzz Face, Rebote Delay, OCD, Micro Amp, Distortion+, Super Hard-On, Dyna Comp, X-Grinder, RVIII Fuzz, WH10 Wah, Ultra Fuzz, RX+, and some others.

Post by adielricci »

The output pot has to be in series with R6, or you have to add another 5K1 resistor in series with it and capture the output from their junction, maybe with a 100K pot.

adielricci
Information
Completed builds: Tube Screamer, Tube sound Fuzz, Fuzz Face, Rebote Delay, OCD, Micro Amp, Distortion+, Super Hard-On, Dyna Comp, X-Grinder, RVIII Fuzz, WH10 Wah, Ultra Fuzz, RX+, and some others.

Post by adielricci »

RnFR wrote:does the FF have that power filtering cap? seems to me, that would quell any oscillations.
In that place, there is no problem, and I would even add another 100n cap in parallel with it, to kill any high frequency transients.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I just noticed something, there should be a coupling cap between the output control pot and the rest of the circuit, the cap can be anything from 10nF to 100nF, also there should be a 470 Ohm resistor going from the 5.1K collector resistor (R6) of Q3 to +V..... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

How would it sound? Wouldn't you want to make it positive ground like the reverse fuzz factories?
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... DCBS-g&t=1

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Guys. I Have updated the schem.

One is the the OEM configuration
Here

And here is the normal Fuzz Face configuration
(A Npn Fuzz Face with a buffer and pots instead od resistors)

Ok, as I see, the OEM Factory doesn't have the 470 Ohm resistor. Thats no problem because the pot acts as a voltage divider when the pot is not maxed. But what happens when it's maxed? The center wiper goes to 9v, that DC blocked by the cap will carry audio?

The second configuration seems more logical (and familiar) to me. But I want to preserve the circuit as original as I can.

opinions?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

tiococo wrote:Guys. I Have updated the schem.

One is the the OEM configuration
Here

And here is the normal Fuzz Face configuration
(A Npn Fuzz Face with a buffer and pots instead od resistors)

Ok, as I see, the OEM Factory doesn't have the 470 Ohm resistor. Thats no problem because the pot acts as a voltage divider when the pot is not maxed. But what happens when it's maxed? The center wiper goes to 9v, that DC blocked by the cap will carry audio?

The second configuration seems more logical (and familiar) to me. But I want to preserve the circuit as original as I can.

opinions?

The OEM Factory configuration will work if you wire up the volume control pot so that when it's maxxed out( turned fully clockwize), the wiper is at the junction of the 5.1K (R6) resistor and the volume control.... :D

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

that's what I thought :D

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

Corrected.

Done.

I'll verify the pcb and post what happens later.

Regards!
Attachments
fuzzfactory layout.pdf
(14.05 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
fuzzfactory pcb.pdf
(14.35 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Loss1234
Information

Post by Loss1234 »

HMMM...I built this as per the schematic (both ways) and with a variety of NPN's I can not for the life of me make it oscillate like the PNP version I have built (with a variety of transistors)

when the OP built this, did it oscillate properly?

thanks

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Loss1234 wrote:HMMM...I built this as per the schematic (both ways) and with a variety of NPN's I can not for the life of me make it oscillate like the PNP version I have built (with a variety of transistors)

when the OP built this, did it oscillate properly?

thanks
Yeah the Fuzz Factory oscillates because it's a positive ground circuit reversed (positive ground circuits don't work quite right reversed alot of the time)... if you fix it to negative ground I can see why it wouldn't.

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

Has anyone built this? I was just thinking about trying to do a NPN Fuzz Factory and low and behold google reveals this thread.

tiococo
Information

Post by tiococo »

I built 3 boxes with this layout. So its verified

abc1234
Information

Post by abc1234 »

The schematic is down and having read through the discussion it seems it wasn't updated when the corrections were made.

Can anyone upload a correct schematic or simply explain how to build an all-NPN negative ground Fuzz Factory?

e.g. Is it simply a case of using the Stab pot to +9v starve the collectors of all the transistors (as opposed to +9v starving Q1's collector and the emitters of Qs 2&3 in the stock Factory) and changing the volume control setup?

Here's a schematic of the stock Factory:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

abc1234 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 13:20 The schematic is down and having read through the discussion it seems it wasn't updated when the corrections were made.

Can anyone upload a correct schematic or simply explain how to build an all-NPN negative ground Fuzz Factory?
If you want it to oscillate, you shouldn't do all NPN. As Scruffie stated earlier, the oscillation is inherent to using PNP transistors. If you swap the circuit around to make it all NPN, it won't behave the same way.

If you wanted to make a non-oscillating Fuzz Factory for some reason, you can stick with PNP and add power supply decoupling to the two PNP stages. But I think doing all this cleaning up to the circuit takes away its charm and then you may as well be making a Tone Bender mk2.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran