HSS tele project

Pickups, wiring schemes, switch techniques and onboard active electronics for guitars and basses
GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: anything tube
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

I have a tele style I'm building... HSS nashville style with a humbucker bridge. I've got two concentric pots, cts 500k/250k. I can use a 3 way blade or a 5 way blade. I'm thinkin'... master vol / neck tone and mid pup blender / bridge tone with a 3 way controlling the neck and bridge pups. :blackeye I'd love to have the single coils on one pot and the humbucker on the other but the switching has me stumped without purchasing a new superswitch... I'm using a stock tele control plate. Anybody got any other trick ideas using only these parts?
I want it to sound like bees buzzing around in a 55 gallon drum...

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

I used this layout to wire one of my strats. Might be useful for some ideas. It has a master volume, master tone, and a blend pot that turns the neck or bridge on depending the switch position. I use 250k pots and a .022 tone cap and treble bleed on the volume pot. I would use a 500k volume pot for your set up.
I really like the bridge and neck option. I almost never use the middle pickup.
Attachments
blendschem2.jpg
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information
Completed builds: Ds-1 mods, SD-1 mods, Small Clone mods, Muff build, Axis build, various other transistor booster builds... I can build a badaxe harmonic perc, but I can't get a fuzzface to sound worth a crap!

Post by GuitarlCarl »

here's my controls: 3 way switch wired to control the neck and bridge pickups normally. Two concentric pots, neck tone russian pio .047 uf/master vol and bridge tone sprague .022uf/mid pickup blender...

Flamed cap body from GFS...

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

GuitarlCarl wrote:I have a tele style I'm building... HSS nashville style with a humbucker bridge. I've got two concentric pots, cts 500k/250k. I can use a 3 way blade or a 5 way blade. I'm thinkin'... master vol / neck tone and mid pup blender / bridge tone with a 3 way controlling the neck and bridge pups. :blackeye I'd love to have the single coils on one pot and the humbucker on the other but the switching has me stumped without purchasing a new superswitch... I'm using a stock tele control plate. Anybody got any other trick ideas using only these parts?
For a mid-pickup blender, you can get some inspiration from the Brent Mason telecaster, which is extensively discussed at TDPRI.
Schematic : http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/bren ... wiring.PDF

You may also consider the four coils in your HSS as if they were two humbuckers. But one of them was hit by an axe, and its coils are now separated. :mrgreen:

Here are plenty of guitar schematics : http://www.geocities.jp/dgb_studio/index_e.htm

You could also have a look at my "Nashville Serial Killer", intended to add series combinations to a Nashville Telecaster. You'll have to adapt it to take full advantage of the humbucker.

I only give negative feedback.

OnTheTundra
Information

Post by OnTheTundra »

Can you tell me how you wired the switch or post a diagram? I am wiring up an HSS tele with a 3 way tele switch and I cant seem to get it right.
My email is OnTheTundra@gmail.com
Thanks,
Mark

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Yep. Uses concentric pots... schemo is frontview of pots, top up. Fairly straight forward, neck & bridge wired to switch normally each with their own tone,and the mid pickup wired into a blender. :blackeye (right click to view complete image)

GuitarlCarl
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by GuitarlCarl »

Seen it... I've prowled that site for years...Finally joined last month. 74 Deluxe. I've got some crazy tele style guitars. Like an Alvarez with the bridge cut in half for a pickup ring with a strat trem routed in it and a 5 way switch w/2pups... does the series thing. Got an Electra mid 70's tele custom with a hmbkr in the neck with coil cutoff... it's funky. Pride and joy is a 74 Deluxe with the original Seth Lovers in it 1 meg pots and all, she's a screamer, only mod is a new pickguard ( old now Warmoth quit doin' leopard ) and a Squier 9 string... anyway thanks for the link, was a nice surprise to go there, it was like... Hey, this is familiar...

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

JiM wrote:You could also have a look at my "Nashville Serial Killer", intended to add series combinations to a Nashville Telecaster.
It seems that TDPRI has changed their image URLs. There it is :

I only give negative feedback.