Kay - Fuzztone (F-1)  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

You won´t believe it, here some guts of a Kay Fuzztone for $475,-- :!: :!: :!: (Buy it now):
https://cgi.ebay.com/Kay-Fuzztone-60s-F ... dZViewItem

Here is the schematic:
2289446334_a7c0e3eb05_b.jpg
As you can see it´s nothing else than a low-cost-version of the Shin-ei/Univox Superfuzz or Ibanez/Marlboro/.../..../ Standard Fuzz or Zvex Octane/2/3.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

For the record - pics are gone
Winning bid: US $511.00 :shock:
Attachments
443844298_ca3d34b635_h.jpg
443844334_db92cd25dc_h.jpg
445248204_ce6894cb7d_h.jpg
445248232_c73d99a6b7_h.jpg
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Same buyer:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 0183425652

This guy definitely has too much money to spend.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Hmmmm..... (another) pictures (of the same unit) are available here:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 0163915866

As you can see this italian guy is not alone cause he could sell this "bunch of sh*t" for EUR 207,01.....

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

I´m just planning to built a kay fuzztone, but I can´t find all the required parts.

-Which transistor could I use instead of the 2SC644 (Q1)?
-Would the 2N3904 work for Q2-Q4?
-Can I replace the OA90´s with 1N60, 1N34a or 1N270?

regards, Immo

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

Has anyone built one without the filter knob array? Just the plain fuzz sound, or maybe a standard tone control..

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Hi,

I´m looking for a veroboard layout for the fuzztone. Can anybody help?

Immo

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

I strongly recommend using silicon diodes in this pedal. it brings the output to a respectable level. The diode clipping and tone section with no recovery stage has very low output if you're wiring it for true bypass. Regular 1n914's sound pretty close to the germaniums in this circuit too. If you exclude the tone control you're missing out on a lot of cool tones. If you're building it as a standalone fuzz ( no treadle or wah casing) put a resistor ( 1k to 10k) between the first lug and ground of the tone control. That way the sound doesn't disappear when the knob is turned all the way clockwise. Its not a concern on the original since the end of the pot travel is never reached with the treadle.

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Old AC30's
Completed builds: Run Off Groove Splitter Blend
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Morning all,
I'm getting more obcessed by all things fuzz. I've a dud wah enclosure thats been laying around for a while and thought a good use would be the Kay Fuzztone... Although my soldering is neat and tidy I'm bottom of the class when it comes to turning schmatics into vero layouts.....
So, has anyone done a Kay with authenticity?
If you have can I be cheaky because and ask for a parts list as well...!
Any info greatfully received.....
Regards,
J.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Fastnet wrote:Any info greatfully received.....
Use the search function first... :wink:

Don't seem to be any layout though, but seems like a light project to start with! :D

(Topics merged).
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

:roll: I did use the search function first!
Why else would I ask for "ANY INFO GREATLY RECIEVED"!
Seriously though, have been checking out youtubes "how to etch a board" and not sure about all those chemicals.... On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to obtain all the necessary and achieve a working result?
J.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Fastnet wrote::roll: I did use the search function first!
Seriously though, have been checking out youtubes "how to etch a board" and not sure about all those chemicals.... On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to obtain all the necessary and achieve a working result?
J.
No idea but if you give me a day or two i'll try and get a vero layout for it done... no promises though (do you wanna give me an idea of what sized board to work to for your wah shell too?)

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Scruffie wrote:
Fastnet wrote::roll: I did use the search function first!
J.
No idea but if you give me a day or two i'll try and get a vero layout for it done... no promises though (do you wanna give me an idea of what sized board to work to for your wah shell too?)
:applause: :hug:
Oh you little gem!
I'll be using an old Dunlop volume pedal shell... A crybaby essentially but this one's silver and ammusingly say's "HIGH GAIN"! Bought on ebay for a pittence... No surprise either as for a volume it was useless, the treadie wouldn't stay still so ended up forking out for an EB Jnr!
Regards,
J.
ps. can it be true bypass and DC powered as well!
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

No worries :hug:

Okay... i've done a quick one :whappen: , completely unchecked and i'm a bit sceptical of the output section but give it a go for now... bit tight 'cause I was aiming for a 1590B fit but failed Miserably.

(True Bypass & DC it to your hearts content)

Edit: Re-Uploaded to Fix Missing Track Cuts
Attachments
Kay Fuzztone F-1.gif

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Scruffie wrote:No worries :hug:

Okay... i've done a quick one :whappen: , completely unchecked and i'm a bit sceptical of the output section but give it a go for now... bit tight 'cause I was aiming for a 1590B fit but failed Miserably.

(True Bypass & DC it to your hearts content)

Edit: Re-Uploaded to Fix Missing Track Cuts
Wow that was quick!
Quick few Q's...
What is it you're sceptical about with the output section?
How did you make this vero layout? By which I mean, did you "read" the schematic and "translate" it to vero? because I've seen the schematic for the SDD3000 preamp and I've been wondering about making that since I saw the thread by "Analogguru" a while ago...! :wink: :hug:
Regards,
J.
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Indeed it was quick, didn't have much to do this morning, but quick means it should be re-checked.
What is it you're sceptical about with the output section?
I'm just sceptical that I got it right is all, just needs going over really, by someone else with a fresh set of eyes preferably.
How did you make this vero layout? By which I mean, did you "read" the schematic and "translate" it to vero?
Yeah I took Analoggurus schematic and converted it to Vero in the usual fashion, I didn't pluck it from thin air :lol:
here's a tutorial for converting Schematics to boards etc. for future reference...
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Sc ... ToReality/
I've seen the schematic for the SDD3000 preamp and I've been wondering about making that since I saw the thread by "Analogguru" a while ago...!
If you give the SDD3000 a shot on vero i'm sure someone here could look it over for you :wink:

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

I now have a pile of work to get through from this morning but I'll be reading through the Beavis tonight....

Greg G said to me a while back that this place is full of very nice people.... So glad to be part of the clan!

Cheers,
J.
[smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=bowdown.gif]
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Fastnet
Breadboard Brother
Information
Kay Fuzztone
Si Fuzzface

Post by Fastnet »

Sorry one last Q.... What rating (voltage wise) would you choose for the components? ... Who would you use? Was going to do an order with CPC...
Cheers,
J.
or...
"Pog mo thoin!"

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Fastnet wrote:Sorry one last Q.... What rating (voltage wise) would you choose for the components? ...
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Caps/
Beavis wrote:There are hundreds of different types of electrolytics. Typically, you are going to make your choice based on value in farads (see "Units of Measure" below) and voltage rating. For safety, it is a good idea to get voltage ratings at least twice your circuit’s input voltage. So if you are building a 9v stompbox, 18v-rated electrolytics would be good.
So just make sure your electros are around double the voltage of the input (16v is usually the rating I see that would be safe) and most people usually use 1/4 Watt Resistors but that doesn't really matter for stompboxes.

Don't Forget that the transistors and diodes listed are the ones used originally, these pedals are very old so you're probably gunna be better off using cheaper modern equivalents than searching out the original parts... such as 1N34a for the Germanium Diodes (nothing stopping you trying silicon ones such as the 1N4148 or 1N914 though but they will change the clipping/tone of the the fuzz and in certain pedals, wont work, but I think they'll be fine here) and any low hFe NPN transistors such as BC 239 B, BC 549 B, BC 550 B, 2N3904, 2N5088... take your pick.
Fastnet wrote:Who would you use? Was going to do an order with CPC...
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/buildstuff/
I'm in the U.K so personally, i'd use http://www.bitsbox.co.uk, if I was ordering outside i'd use a combination of http://www.futurlec.com for cheap parts and http://www.smallbearelec.com for harder to find parts and enclosures etc.