Line 6 DL4 external tap tempo mod

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
ahcleinad
Information

Post by ahcleinad »

I was wondering how to add an external tap tempo jack to the DL4? I want to be able to use a single tap for my DD-5 and DL4 to be able to sync them together. Is it as simple as adding a jack to the poles where the switch is connecting to the pcb? Any help would be appreciated!

marmaliser
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marmaliser »

ahcleinad
Information

Post by ahcleinad »

marmaliser wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Line+6+DL4+external+tap+tempo+mod

Sorry couldn't resist
I've already look through those links and even the video. I tried the way that it was shown in the video and I can tap it in via external tap tempo, but for some reason when I do plug it in, all the other switches on the DL4 work as a tap also. Does anybody know if I have to use a stereo jack for this?

marmaliser
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by marmaliser »

I don't know the answer to that sorry but I do know from first hand experience that the DL4's can be temperamental and easily broke :oops: so be careful in there ..static seems to be a problem.

jimosity
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jimosity »

This is how you do it.
Sorry I don't have a better pic of the back side of the DL4 board, I didn't feel like breaking out the camera for something so simple.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

That pic is 100% correct on wiring. But there are two things to take note of:

1) It mentions that not only can you use an external tap for the DL4 with this mod, but you can also control another tap tempo pedal from the jack. This is true. However it mentions the DD5 and DD7. Boss delays take a normally closed tap switch, and the DL4 one is normally open. As such it will work, but the Boss is going to be taking it's tempo from the upswing (contact broken) of the switch contact and the DL4 takes it's tempo from the downswing (contact). Just FYI

2) You can do this mod without losing battery functionality if you (referencing the pic) move the jack up above the battery compartment to the board area, use a low profile jack, and tuck it up under the board there. I've marked where I'm talking about with a red circle. I offer all the standard DL4 mods on my site for people, but I've managed to do them all without losing battery power option.
Attachments
TapTempoPlacement.jpg

jimosity
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jimosity »

Barcode wrote:That pic is 100% correct on wiring. But there are two things to take note of:

1) It mentions that not only can you use an external tap for the DL4 with this mod, but you can also control another tap tempo pedal from the jack. This is true. However it mentions the DD5 and DD7. Boss delays take a normally closed tap switch, and the DL4 one is normally open. As such it will work, but the Boss is going to be taking it's tempo from the upswing (contact broken) of the switch contact and the DL4 takes it's tempo from the downswing (contact). Just FYI

2) You can do this mod without losing battery functionality if you (referencing the pic) move the jack up above the battery compartment to the board area, use a low profile jack, and tuck it up under the board there. I've marked where I'm talking about with a red circle. I offer all the standard DL4 mods on my site for people, but I've managed to do them all without losing battery power option.
True dat.
It can also be located on the rear of the unit if you feel so inclined.