Delay80+ (finished)

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

What do you get if you make a Frankenstein from 3 diy classics?
Nothing new here. I wanted a delay with trails (used the Echo Base part for that), this is NOT true bypass, no modulation, with heavy filtering and compandor (almost straight from the PT80), and started easy with the pcb, using the sorroundings of the PT2399 in the Rebote 2.5 pcb. Originally intended to have 2 PT2399 in series for longer / cleaner delays, an idea quickly left aside. The pcb turned into a mess rather fast. I tried to avoid using "jumps" almost until the end, but had to resign. I kept the digital ground separated from the analog ground, I mean: the "delay" pot connect from pin 6 to pin 4 of the 2399, but no direct conection to circuit ground. Still not clear to me if decoupling caps from pins 7 & 8 should go to ground or to pin 4.
This is what I have so far (attached JPG & ExpressPCB file), still checking it, no part numbers, no schematic, but they'll come. I have a self imposed deadline of less than 2 weeks to have this thing working and boxed (sold all my delays and have a rehearsal planned). Any comments welcome.

Stay tuned.
Juanro

attachments in this post
Last edited by rocklander on 27 Sep 2011, 00:50, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: OP wanted the attachments removed as he's updated/updating them - see link above for update - also updated thread title as requestd by OP- rocky
La única verdad es la realidad.

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

I really like it, man! Looks a good "stew" of schems arround...
I just have to add one thing, as a contribution, look at this:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... ic=92515.0
I don't know if you already apllied it, but it have to be great!
A hug!

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Yes, this:
juanro wrote:I kept the digital ground separated from the analog ground, I mean: the "delay" pot connect from pin 6 to pin 4 of the 2399, but no direct conection to circuit ground. Still not clear to me if decoupling caps from pins 7 & 8 should go to ground or to pin 4.
is taken from that thread.

Juanro

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

juanro wrote:Yes, this:
juanro wrote:I kept the digital ground separated from the analog ground, I mean: the "delay" pot connect from pin 6 to pin 4 of the 2399, but no direct conection to circuit ground. Still not clear to me if decoupling caps from pins 7 & 8 should go to ground or to pin 4.
is taken from that thread.

Juanro
Datasheet says that they should go tu Agnd, and not pin 4. :thumbsup

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

Yes, but there have been a lot of reports that the datasheet might not be entirely accurate or complete. I have in fact experimented with the pin 7,8 caps to either ground and in the circuit I used it did not matter which ground I used. What did matter a lot was the value of those caps. In my circuit I reduced them to 15nF and that got rid of some quantization noise that is only audible when repeats are sounding. Then again, results seem to vary greatly depending on the circuit used.
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

~arph, I have read your post and it was something to try (lower values for those caps)

Of course, now that I'm awake, I spotted the first error, the IC labeled as SA571 is in fact the 4066, the SA571 is the other one on the left.

Juanro

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

A question: (to mods)
How can I edit my original post, specifically the attachements?
I have now a new image and pcb, and will upload it, but I wanted to do it in place of the originals so to not confuse people.

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

juanro wrote:A question: (to mods)
How can I edit my original post, specifically the attachements?
I have now a new image and pcb, and will upload it, but I wanted to do it in place of the originals so to not confuse people.
The mods have to do it.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

flick them to one of the mods, we'll sell the idea to some wannabe boutiqer and then make the change for you ;-)
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

rocklander wrote:flick them to one of the mods, we'll sell the idea to some wannabe boutiqer and then make the change for you ;-)
:lol: :applause:

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Well, here is the schematic.

There are changes over the first version and in fact that PCB wouldn't work.

A couple of extra eyes would be great. Basically: The PT80 with an inverting buffer in the input (so signal is not inverted at the output) and input to the delay section switched with a 4066, taken from the Echo Base.

Juanro
delay80+.JPG

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Here's the latest.
Schematic with minor corrections, pcb image, ExpressPCB files for both.
Board is 8.5cm x 6cm, seems that it could be made a little smaller but not much.
No holes for attachment, got to check the enclosures I got to see if it fits in someone.
Over the weekend I'll be etching and populating it.
Regards,

Juanro
delay80+.JPG
Delay80+_pcb.JPG
Attachments
Delay80+.rar
(84.47 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

No printer @ home and I wanted to finish it soon. So I hand transfer it using punchs as guides and a permanent marker. There were some missing tracks... :oops: but easy to fix with some copper side jumpers.
It's coming... it's coming...
IMG_9195.jpg
IMG_9196.jpg
Juanro

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

Sorry for the silly question... Is this a delay "inspired" by the Providence 80's Delay?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6114&hilit=providence+delay

thanks!

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Hi,

No.. I haven't seen that before.
It was "inspired" by the PT80 (more of a ripoff, really) just added and inverter stage in the input (to conserve overall signal phase) and a "tails" switch from the Echo Base (making it non-true-bypass)

The board is finished but I'm still debuging it... the "switch" portion around the transistor don't work, the collector sits around 6-7v both with the base floating or pulled to ground... looking at the schematic with a bit of a critical eye seems to me that the 220K should go from +V to base, not collector to base as it is now.
Also I can't get signal to pass the 2nd stage of the compandor, that is: signal gets in, pass trough the 4066, get's compressed, get delayed, pass trough the single transistor LPF, I have signal in pins 2&3 of the 570 but not out of pins 6&7(all this verified with an audio probe). As I had only one 570 I suspected of it, have to breadboard that part of the circuit to verify and I'll be getting some spares. (For example I tried 2 pt2399 from Tayda and neither one worked... )

For a hand-draw PCB it went surprisingly well, some holes were a little offset and the copper was a bit thin in some parts, but I would say the PCB is verified now (except the part of the switching transistor but that's a problem with the circuit)

I'll update later with finished photos and some audio if I can make it work.

Regards,
Juanro

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Here it is:
IMG_9197.jpg
The problem was a faulty NE570.

A quick demo (with the children playing in the background!)

Love how it feedbacks, very organic and natural. I was using a 100K time pot, when using the longest settings repeats get a bit dirty, but still useable. (If you like dirty repeats... hehe)
Still trying to decide wich enclose to use and what to include, aside from the basic time-level-repeat. I'm thinking in a second stomp switch, a non-latching one to maximize temporarily the repeats in order to get that lovely feedback madnes...
Will see.

Best regards.
Juanro

~arph
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by ~arph »

Wow, sounds very good. nice long clean repeats.
In the quiet words of the virgin Mary: "Come again?"

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Thanks arph for your comments.

Just an update, about this:
juanro wrote:the "switch" portion around the transistor don't work, the collector sits around 6-7v both with the base floating or pulled to ground... looking at the schematic with a bit of a critical eye seems to me that the 220K should go from +V to base, not collector to base as it is now.
Nevermind what I said. The switching works fine as it is... as long as one orients the transistor the right way! (Even in the last photo you can see that the transistor in the top right corner is backwards respect the PCB layout)
Not only it works fine, it's also dead silence. A great, great build, kuddos to Dave Schwarz for the PT80 this is based on, and to Ian M. (slacker) for the tails switching of the Echo Base.

So both the circuit and the PCB can be considered verified now.

Juanro

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

:horsey: Cheers!! Great sounding too!!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm having trouble deciphering your labeling on the PCB. What is "out delay level / rpt" for example?