simple circuit design software with .wav input??

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
ade123321
Information

Post by ade123321 »

hi, does anyone know of a relatively simple-to-use circuit design software with .wav or other audio file input?

it seems a great idea to do a pedal circuit in a software program and use a .wav file recording to 'play through the circuit' and hear the results while modifying the design.

i have looked at some of the high end programs, they are a bit beyond my available time and perhaps brain power i think!

thanks for looking!

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Hi,

I use LTSpice (http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/#LTspice) and it does that.

Regards,
Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I used to use a bit of software called Circuitmaker 2000, untill I started getting some very funny simulation results after designing a circuit with it, everything checked out but I just didn't get the results I was expecting, so I've learned not to trust the results of circuit simulators.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

DrNomis wrote:I used to use a bit of software called Circuitmaker 2000, untill I started getting some very funny simulation results after designing a circuit with it, everything checked out but I just didn't get the results I was expecting, so I've learned not to trust the results of circuit simulators.... :hmmm:
Yep you do have to know some of the details. It can be rather misleading for those of us who are home hobby types. :block:
Don't use *Ideal opamps* and like stuff,, use actual models otherwise you can get an opamp running from 9VDC swinging over 100 VAC on the output.
That can leave the novice totally confused :shock: :oops: :scratch:

I just use them to get some idea of things like tone shaping as the signal passes through the circuit. Saves hours of breadboarding or worse soldering up land fill. :oops:
I setup a breadboard circuit > I play it LIVE through an Amp for a while > Back to computer to tweak some ideas.
It only takes a few sims sometimes to get to know which part of the circuit is the problem. Way better than going back to uni for 4 years just to build a few circuits.

I've not used the Wave stuff but my gut feeling is that computers may just add more complexity to the problem.
Heck an Apple Mac,s idea of a marshall tone might be very different to an IBM. :P

Just my few sims worth,, Phil.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

phatt wrote:
DrNomis wrote:I used to use a bit of software called Circuitmaker 2000, untill I started getting some very funny simulation results after designing a circuit with it, everything checked out but I just didn't get the results I was expecting, so I've learned not to trust the results of circuit simulators.... :hmmm:
Yep you do have to know some of the details. It can be rather misleading for those of us who are home hobby types. :block:
Don't use *Ideal opamps* and like stuff,, use actual models otherwise you can get an opamp running from 9VDC swinging over 100 VAC on the output.
That can leave the novice totally confused :shock: :oops: :scratch:

I just use them to get some idea of things like tone shaping as the signal passes through the circuit. Saves hours of breadboarding or worse soldering up land fill. :oops:
I setup a breadboard circuit > I play it LIVE through an Amp for a while > Back to computer to tweak some ideas.
It only takes a few sims sometimes to get to know which part of the circuit is the problem. Way better than going back to uni for 4 years just to build a few circuits.

I've not used the Wave stuff but my gut feeling is that computers may just add more complexity to the problem.
Heck an Apple Mac,s idea of a marshall tone might be very different to an IBM. :P

Just my few sims worth,, Phil.

I seem to remember a bit of software called Revalver, sort of like Native Instrument's Guitar Rig, anyway you could edit the individual valve stages, I never had much luck with it though cause it used to just feedback all the time and make my soundcard go all crazy... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

ade123321
Information

Post by ade123321 »

I just use them to get some idea of things like tone shaping as the signal passes through the circuit. Saves hours of breadboarding or worse soldering up land fill.
thanks for the replies, .. do you mean you setup the breadboard for real and play through it, while having an identical software version of the circuit to modify? what software?
i dont understand exactly the process you are describing but it sounds like what i am looking for.....

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

ade123321 wrote:
I just use them to get some idea of things like tone shaping as the signal passes through the circuit. Saves hours of breadboarding or worse soldering up land fill.
thanks for the replies, .. do you mean you setup the breadboard for real and play through it, while having an identical software version of the circuit to modify? what software?
i dont understand exactly the process you are describing but it sounds like what i am looking for.....
Hi Ade123,
Yes as un-hiteck as it may seem I find it saves hours of guessing part values. I use circuitmaker FREE ed, only sims 50 parts but you can sim a lot of preamps and pedal stuff with that alone.
Yes just setup a circuit on a breadboard or whatever you wish to do,, then setup the sim to the same and tweak away. Likely to be far more accurate that the other stuff you mentioned. winky.

I plug the breadboard circuits into the Amps I use LIVE so the result is exactly as I designed,, what you hear is what you get when built. too easy. :thumbsup
I learnt more about what goes on inside amplifiers in the first year of using sims than ten years of reading books.

I highly recommend sims to anyone who wishes to get there faster. They are not perfect and can give obscure results (usually because the operator is flawed) :slap: :block:
You still need to read books but the combination really speeds things along. For simple straight forward audio/guitar type circuits it will save hours of hard yakka. For more complex stuff I'd just go out and purchase it.

Just adding;
A lot of folks just want to take the shortcut and find good circuits then just copy it and dive straight in and build but you will learn far more by dedicating some time to breadboarding stuff first.

No matter HOW good the reviews of the latest trendy build may sound your equipment may give disappointing results.
By test benching and simming the circuit you learn how it works (with your equipment) and while you are there you have the chance to tweak if needed *Before you waste solder*

Most of my gear is made or modified by me and I know every part now so well that I can quickly change something if needed because I know exactly where my distortion is happening.
I know where the bass can get too big or small. I can mix and match speakers accordingly ...blah blah.

That is all because I spent the time learning what each bit is doing. Simulation made that possible and that is empowering for a novice like me.

Books give you the explanations and maths but sims can give an in-depth insight into the workings.
Cheers, Phil.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I just found the installation files for Circuitmaker 2000 on one of my external hard drives, so, I'm going to install it and start using it again, there's a couple of circuits I wouldn't mind tweaking a bit while simulating them with the Circuitmaker 2000 software.... :hmmm:

ade123321
Information

Post by ade123321 »

thats great, thanks. i have circuitmaker and LTspice now, very helpful.

LTspice will play an audio file through the circuit which is what i wanted.

i am a total 'noob' really! i can fix vehicle electrics but making and modifying electronics circuits is slightly tricky for me at the moment. feel free to peruse my cries for help in my other posts!!