JHS - Sweet Tea

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by batteryacidtea »

Oh, you're guys are right. Sorry for that, Dimebug! But, WTF? 299 bucks for this thing?

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Barcode wrote:Brian, it definitely is one of yours. It's this one from the Crunch Box thread:

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... =60#p41675
Well, there you have it. That's kinda frustrating. I forgot about having a layout posted here. In fact, I removed the various Crunchbox layouts from my site some time ago. Ah, well.

Looking at it now, that layout I did pretty much sucks anyway.

batteryacidtea
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by batteryacidtea »

As I remember, that's the second time a hyped builder uses this Crunch Box layout of yours, right?

mich
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mich »

Not for nothing but isn't using someone's layout, i.e. artwork, without permission the only thing that's "illegal" when cloning a circuit? Am I missing something here?

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Yes, which is what is going on here, from appearances.

Westbury
Information

Post by Westbury »

Looks like they're at it again

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

coldcraft wrote:you see how the enclosure has ".... copper" written on the inside? they have all their powder coating done by PPP.
Thats a big part of the industry now though. Even big names (by boutique standards) get stuff done by them.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Whoismarykelly wrote:Thats a big part of the industry now though. Even big names (by boutique standards) get stuff done by them.
Totally. If I went crazy and started a pedal company tomorrow, the first thing I'd do is find a good reliable source of finished boxes.

But uh, I'd do my own goddamn PCB layouts. :lol:

(or pay someone to do it for me...it's not a big deal, just don't use other people's hard work without asking/compensating them)

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Ya wanna read some funny sh!t? http://www.jhspedals.com/Overdrive_Unveiling.html This guy is a douche lord... :thumbsup

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

culturejam wrote: Totally. If I went crazy and started a pedal company tomorrow, the first thing I'd do is find a good reliable source of finished boxes.

But uh, I'd do my own goddamn PCB layouts. :lol:

(or pay someone to do it for me...it's not a big deal, just don't use other people's hard work without asking/compensating them)
Totally agreed. Funny I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The only way I would ever see myself jumping into professional production would be if I didn't have to mess around with painting and labeling boxes. Just stuff, solder, load and do the QA.

Anyway, your second point is a real stickler for me. I'm personally over the idea that so many different companies are building the same things or ripping each other off, whatever. But, at least take the time to design your own circuit board. It's absolutely the least amount of effort you can put into making something your own product besides branding. Anything less than that is pure laziness, IMO.

Seven64
Information

Post by Seven64 »

but they changed the grounding strip, so it has to be their layout right :roll:

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

Seven64 wrote:but they changed the grounding strip, so it has to be their layout right :roll:
you mean they overlapped two layouts so they shared a ground? great ingenuity right there.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

I agree with culturejam and madbean. My two "geez-not-again" moments are:
making de PCB (maybe I should jump to vero) and finishing the enclosure.
The rest is pure fun!

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

madbean wrote:Totally agreed. Funny I was thinking the same thing earlier today. The only way I would ever see myself jumping into professional production would be if I didn't have to mess around with painting and labeling boxes. Just stuff, solder, load and do the QA.
I'd also see what the cost is to have the boards stuffed. As long as the parts are to spec and of good quality, who (or what) solders them on the board is not a factor. That would leave me with final assembly, QA, and the giant mountain of bullshit otherwise known as running a small business.

Now we're really off topic. I might have to moderate myself. :lol:

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

culturejam wrote:Now we're really off topic.
Wow! That never happened before :mrgreen:

Maybe a new thread "Transition from hobby to small business considerations"? I think a lot of people here have something to say about :hmmm:

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Duckman wrote:Maybe a new thread "Transition from hobby to small business considerations"? I think a lot of people here have something to say about :hmmm:
I almost did that earlier. But go ahead start a thread in Member's Corner. I'll certainly chime in.

irmcdermott
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by irmcdermott »

I had a chuckle at this when I thought of it... and I know it's not intentional (at least I hope)... but they are using madbean's layout for the CrunchBox side of this pedal, which they say is their "very own Angry Charlie"..... and look at madbean's avatar :)

I know it's most likely a "Brown Sound" reference, but it's a funny coincidence.

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

irmcdermott wrote:I had a chuckle at this when I thought of it... and I know it's not intentional (at least I hope)... but they are using madbean's layout for the CrunchBox side of this pedal, which they say is their "very own Angry Charlie"..... and look at madbean's avatar :)

I know it's most likely a "Brown Sound" reference, but it's a funny coincidence.
Carly's not laughty, at all I guess... :lol:

irmcdermott
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by irmcdermott »

So, since it's been cracked open.... Is it an EXACT clone of both pedals? I guess the only thing we can't tell from the pics on there are the cap values.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

you should be asking yourself, why would JHS BOTHER changing any values?
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.