Electronic Bypass

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Juanro

Your circuit is correct. You have to remember that there's some series resistance present when a CMOS switch is "on" - the 4066 is about 60 ohms, and the 4016 is about 600 ohms. Adding the series resistor to the shunt path isn't completely necessary, but is probably good practice if using a 4066.

Incidentally, the LEDs I use are the three-terminal (common anode) type, which look pretty good when they change colour!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

meffcio
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by meffcio »

This is known to work. The PDF contains a SMD version, the archive - non-smd, but the schematic is the same in both of them.
Attachments
stopa_ver1.zip
(632.84 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
stopa.pdf
(533.06 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

I really like that SMD implementation, meffcio. However it only uses series switches which makes it a bit different from Mictester's.

Here is an adaptation of Mictester's idea. I did not like how the output of the buffer was switched to Vref through its output cap. Sure, the components can handle that current spike, but it's a current spike we would rather not have at all. So I came up with this version which does the job better (in my opinion) with a single component change. Swap the 4066 for a 4053 and reroute. Note that only one control line is required because the 4053 can be operated as either normally-open or normally-closed. Also I did not include the LED or Vref housekeeping details but they could be added easily. Finally I used a *latching* mechanical SPST switch like in Mictester's original.
Link to simulation here.
Attachments
E_switch_4053.png
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

...And another one using a momentary switch and a couple other mods. The primary difference is shunting the effect send during bypass. I figured this might be more effective at preventing bleed of the effected signal. Sim
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Hi,

I made the PCB for the (almost) original circuit mictester posted (See my previuos schematic for part numbers, and mictester's for values). Attached is RAR file with ExpressPCB schematic and layout.
Let me know what you think or if you find any errors.
The attachment electronic_bypass_pcb.GIF is no longer available
Regards,
Juanro
Attachments
electronic_bypass_pcb.GIF
La única verdad es la realidad.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

That's a really good layout. I'll put a Vero version up later.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

pedalist
Information

Post by pedalist »

the other end of resistor r2 c1'be tied together in the corner of

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

You're right pedalist.
Here's the corrected version.

Juanro
Attachments
electronic_bypass.rar
(35.27 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

earthtonesaudio wrote:I really like that SMD implementation, meffcio. However it only uses series switches which makes it a bit different from Mictester's.

Here is an adaptation of Mictester's idea. I did not like how the output of the buffer was switched to Vref through its output cap. Sure, the components can handle that current spike, but it's a current spike we would rather not have at all. So I came up with this version which does the job better (in my opinion) with a single component change. Swap the 4066 for a 4053 and reroute. Note that only one control line is required because the 4053 can be operated as either normally-open or normally-closed. Also I did not include the LED or Vref housekeeping details but they could be added easily. Finally I used a *latching* mechanical SPST switch like in Mictester's original.
Link to simulation here.
Did somebody came up with a layout for this? :hmmm:

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

mictester wrote:That's a really good layout. I'll put a Vero version up later.
I am really looking forward to this one ;)
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

HEAD wrote:
earthtonesaudio wrote:I really like that SMD implementation, meffcio. However it only uses series switches which makes it a bit different from Mictester's.

Link to simulation here.
There is a layout posted in the post RIGHT before yours...

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Barcode wrote:
HEAD wrote:

Link to simulation here.
There is a layout posted in the post RIGHT before yours...
Sorry, did quote the wrong post. I meant a layout to this one here: Sim
But otherwise than this mistake I personaly think that a layout to a slightly different schematic with no parts values mentioned is a pain in the **** to work with. Swapping always from one schematic to the other and comparing is... naaaaaaaaarf! :blackeye

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information

I need more practice doing layouts... I'll try to find some time to produce one for the 4053/555 version.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Hey,

Sorry, I attached the schematic too (in the rar file). There are no part values (I think) but there aren't so many parts... If I have some time over the weekend I'll take a look over and post a completed version.

Juanro

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Attached RAR file with ExpressPCB schematic and layout, now with part values.
Any comment or error please let me know.

Juanro
Attachments
electronic_bypass.rar
(35.92 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

juanro wrote:Attached RAR file with ExpressPCB schematic and layout, now with part values.
Any comment or error please let me know.

Juanro

Thanks, Juanro! Had some spare time I tried your layout - though I had to reroute it in Sprint Layout as I always don't like the vias of Express PCB and I wanted to use 5,04mm Cs. Furthermore I left out the in fx_in and fx_out caps as most effects already have them at their in and outs. Sadfully I get some serious popping while switching betwenn fx and bypass. Did I miss a pulldown-r?

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information

I can't open the .rar file from here but I would imagine coupling caps are required to bias the switch IC... Maybe that's it.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Hi,

Are you using this fixed within an FX box or are you using it as a standalone bypassing? Does it pops even when not connecting the fx in & out?
If your fx circuit have C's at their in & out, does it also have pulldown R? If so, you're pulling the biased points (U1 - pin 7 and/or U2 - pin 3) to ground.
Also check that all IN/OUT pins of the 4066 (1,2,3,4,8,9,10,11) have exactly the same potencial (roughly Vcc/2)
Just in case try it with in/out caps and further pulldown R to ground
Hope that helps, let me know.

Juanro

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

BTW: I used a .rar because it seemed to me that it was the most universal file format... culturejam err, sorry: earthtonesaudio, is there any other prefered file format?

Juanro

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

juanro wrote:Hi,

Are you using this fixed within an FX box or are you using it as a standalone bypassing? Does it pops even when not connecting the fx in & out?
If your fx circuit have C's at their in & out, does it also have pulldown R? If so, you're pulling the biased points (U1 - pin 7 and/or U2 - pin 3) to ground.
Also check that all IN/OUT pins of the 4066 (1,2,3,4,8,9,10,11) have exactly the same potencial (roughly Vcc/2)
Just in case try it with in/out caps and further pulldown R to ground
Hope that helps, let me know.

Juanro

With nothing connected to fx in and out it pops everytime I switch back to bypassed status. Adding the in and out caps does fix the "in pop" but there's still some popping if switching back to bypass. As I'm using it as a bypass standalone for experimenting purposes the effects in put into its "loop" of course have a pulldown-r at their input and with their own volume controll acting as a pulldown at the output. Gonna check the voltages later this evening.