WEM - Project V  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

GeekMacDaddy wrote:The original germanium version was called "FUZZY" was made to compete with the Maestro pedals. I have built it on perf using NKT 213's and the pedal sounds killer. I followed this schematic; http://musical-den.blogspot.com/2008/07 ... -fuzz.html
Yeah, but that's a different fuzz than the ProjectV...
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

GeekMacDaddy
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Gabriel Sound Garage Voxer 33

Post by GeekMacDaddy »

Yes, I was trying to shed light on the distinction between the two. :D

royaltoots
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Davoli Studio 60

Post by royaltoots »

scorpion victim wrote:Sound clips anyone
I used NKT213s for my Fuzzy/Pep Rush Box build also - short (rubbish) clip here - Burns Sonic into dirty amp http://www.supload.com/listen?s=3QfXqO

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

bump.........
RnFR wrote:ok, now i get it. it's a quote from eno. well, i think here come the warm jets is a great album. wonder if he used it on that one.
yes, he did, he got the pedal while that album was being recorded.
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

nightraven wrote:bump.........
RnFR wrote:ok, now i get it. it's a quote from eno. well, i think here come the warm jets is a great album. wonder if he used it on that one.
yes, he did, he got the pedal while that album was being recorded.
so the V is the fuzz from Baby's On Fire? oh god, now I want it even more. thanks a lot!!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

i think so. i have seen people swear that it's paul rudolph playing (at least most of) the solo in that track and he is the person who eno got the pedal from. eno says in an interview somewhere that with the pedal he makes the guitar sound like a synthesizer and you can kind of hear that in some parts of that solo (also all over the solo on st elmo's fire). i don't think it's the bb buzzaround on the track that fripp would've used. wish i knew what the "drive" and "edge" switches do!
the baby's on fire sound is great (mostly because of the playing though). i also really hope that this is the pedal used for the fuzz sound on the guitar lead in this track because it sounds exactly like the infamous sound of the title track of the album but without all the studio magic and layering:
i guess we need to get graham in this thread to compare the sounds of his unit to all the famous tracks but i am pretty much close to 100% positive that the pedal is being used on the pink fairies album mentioned above. apparently the pedal sounds like an improved shin-ei superfuzz and there is no doubt some kind of superfuzz used there. if you want this pedal you will have to fight me for it if it ever surfaces! :D
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

kaycee
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kaycee »

Ohhhh! Interesting, love Paul Rudolph's fuzz tone, wondered what he used?

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

RnFR wrote: so the V is the fuzz from Baby's On Fire? oh god, now I want it even more. thanks a lot!!
And I thought it was made with an EMS Synthesizer:

http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=110
1972 - Blistering songs, razor sharp production and a glamorous image catapult Roxy's first album to the top of the charts. The album showcased Eno's VCS3 processing techniques on ..... Manzanera's guitar.
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

tube-exorcist wrote:
RnFR wrote: so the V is the fuzz from Baby's On Fire? oh god, now I want it even more. thanks a lot!!
And I thought it was made with an EMS Synthesizer:

http://www.sonicstate.com/articles/article.cfm?id=110
1972 - Blistering songs, razor sharp production and a glamorous image catapult Roxy's first album to the top of the charts. The album showcased Eno's VCS3 processing techniques on ..... Manzanera's guitar.
that was for his earlier work with roxy music. baby's on fire was on his solo debut 'warm jets' album in '74 ;)

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

:hmmm:
The EMS was Eno's workhorse in the 1970s and early 1980s.

And on stage he used a suitcase EMS (the EMS Synthi A) to treat guitar signals....
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

looks like an interesting read! downloaded for my flight to Germany this weekend. but yeas, the record I was speaking of was "Jets". very well could be the EMS, or this mystery fuzz. either way, it's a killer sound, and I still want a schematic for the P5! after i bugged the crap out of him, Graham said he would only allow D Main to take a screwdriver to it, so maybe someday we may still have a look- if we are lucky.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

i bought a pedal ages ago from a guy who also had one of these and he told me that it's equally impossible to take his pedal apart :lol:

Pinstripedclips
Information

Post by Pinstripedclips »

Robert Fripp played the solo on Baby's On Fire, regarding the fuzz tone it could just be his Guild Foxey Lady.

Have a listen to the improv that follows Easy Money:

Roberts online Diary has quite a few comments by the man himself regarding Baby's On Fire.

A few choice selections from his diary...

4th August 1998:
"A recent guitar magazine poll of the 100 Best Guitar Solos included the solo to "Schizoid Man". This is a silly assessment: it is an acknowledgement of the piece. The solo itself is worthwhile in context but, as a solo, not exceptional. The solos to "Sailor's Tale" or "Fashion" are exceptional solos; even "Baby's On Fire" and (for me) "The Night Watch". But "Tale" and "Fashion" can hold their own with any."

14th December 1998:
"... blasted through "Baby's On Fire" or flailed through "Sailor's Tale"."

1st September 1999:
"A stunning solo is now soaring over a P4 rhythm section. Since 1997 Fripp has re-invented his guitar playing. It has a passion that would not easily be associated with a dry, cerebral "Spock of Rock" (which is no surprise to someone who played solos on "The Sailor's Tale", "Baby's On Fire" & "Fashion") but it doesn't use the vocabulary commonly associated with passion in rock players. What may I learn from this?"

28th June 2010:
"My today-brief is to solo over a track with the approach brought to Baby’s On Fire. Today’s tempo is 98 bpm, BOF was 121, which puts me in the middle. But the quality involved is: burning - so go for it! The client seemed pleased & I had fun."

8)

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

it could very well be the Buzz A Round then! still hoping for a look at this pedal, though. :roll: :mrgreen:

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Pinstripedclips
Information

Post by Pinstripedclips »

RnFR wrote:it could very well be the Buzz A Round then! still hoping for a look at this pedal, though. :roll: :mrgreen:
He'd stopped using his Buzzaround by that time, but Project V, Buzzaround or Foxey Lady, I think he'd sound pretty much the same regardless.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Can't immediately help there, but I found a Project V in my cellar before I left.....

A battery has leaked inside it, but I should be able to salvage it! Restoration will start at the end of the week.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

mictester wrote:
Can't immediately help there, but I found a Project V in my cellar before I left for my holiday.....

A battery has leaked inside it, but I should be able to salvage it! Restoration will start at the end of the week.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

kaycee
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by kaycee »

Ohhh! Thats exciting news, Rudolph's fuzztone is one of my favourites and if he used one of these it will be great to get a schemo 8)

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

hi guys, best Xmas present ever maybe? :lol: besides maybe the pedal itself

a guy in the States i have been talking to very generously took his pedal apart for me and the internet for that elusive trace side photo (THANKS!!)..... so without further ado

the circuit of his pedal is exactly the same as Graham's pedal so now there are both piece of the puzzle... techie dudes: work your magic :)

merry Xmas!

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

holy rumballs! Santa Claus delivered this year!!! now, you guys aren't messing with me now are you?? this isn't just the guts of some old superfuzz, is it? because, if you're messin with me, I swear I will hunt you down and exact a very personal revenge. :twisted:

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO