Montarbo - Sinfhoton ( Fuzz )

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
ik6gpy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ik6gpy »

Hi Sinner,
These are the ones i've got on my hard drive. Hope it helps
Mat
Attachments
montarboPB2.JPG
SINPHOTON_schem2.jpg
SINPHOTON_schem2.jpg (24.29 KiB) Viewed 4183 times

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Sure it helps bro, thanks :)
I was hoping to see SINPHOTON_schem2.jpg in better (bigger) quality, but this what I have should be ok

ik6gpy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ik6gpy »

Here it is... Better quality e bigger schematic
Attachments
SINPHOTON_schem.jpg

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Thanks, you're my hero. So... We have 3 schematics in this topic and they're all different. Basic topology is the same, but some caps and resistor value differs. I bet they're all good, revisions and versions during production perhaps? But could you point me the best sounding one?

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

I've took factory schemo and did perf layout similar to stock one. There is not much gutshots on the web, I was limited to one only, but I think I nail it quite nice

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

....was going to do a build report, but there didn't seem to be much interest at the time...

I did a bunch of tweaking and the only way this thing fired up for me was with high gain transistors and a bunch of resistor changes. Here's my final version with voltage readings:

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

Can someone please upload a bigger version of the V2 veroboard layout?
It seems to be one of the many attachements that got lost during the server change...

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Remove the 100K in parallel with the first set of clipping diodes for more fuzz...

DesertCruiser
Information

Post by DesertCruiser »

Solidhex wrote:Remove the 100K in parallel with the first set of clipping diodes for more fuzz...
Yeah that would be the best thing to do if you want more bite to the sound. I really like this fuzz, very good for fat power chords and its very quiet, it kinda have this noise gate quality. My russian BMP clone got a rival :lol:
Don't recreate - create!
(exept when it comes to puttin' Mel Schacher in a box)

sunburnedgoat
Information

Post by sunburnedgoat »

I breadboarded this and fell in love. It's the fat fuzzy characteristics of a Muff, but there is better string clarity and chords sound great on it. It also cleans up VERY well with the guitar's volume knob. I also like the very slight differences in the diode pairs' configurations, from the Muff's.

I built one on terminal strips, but still wanted a small enclosure, so I came up with a weird method. Definitely gotta build in layers! :D

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

sunburnedgoat wrote:I breadboarded this and fell in love.
very cool...and looks great!

did you make any changes? transistors used? collector voltage on Q2?

sunburnedgoat
Information

Post by sunburnedgoat »

Ahh, yes. The good stuff.

Q1 - B: .6, C: 1.96
Q2 - B: .58, C: 5.25

Mods: I used 10uf electrolytics in place of the 2.2. I removed the 100k parallel resistor in the first diode set, as recommended. Mine is the 2-knob version. I added a switchable .1uf cap to ground on the input, which opens it up a little more - a little bit of sparkle, subtle increase in vol and compression.

sunburnedgoat
Information

Post by sunburnedgoat »

Oh... and 2n5089. Both read about 580 hfe. Mine fired up immediately when I first put it on the board, and I didn't have to modify any resistor values in order to get it to fire up, as reported previously. It's a mean machine. Loud and dirty.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

sunburnedgoat wrote:Ahh, yes. The good stuff.

Q1 - B: .6, C: 1.96
Q2 - B: .58, C: 5.25

Mods: I used 10uf electrolytics in place of the 2.2. I removed the 100k parallel resistor in the first diode set, as recommended. Mine is the 2-knob version. I added a switchable .1uf cap to ground on the input, which opens it up a little more - a little bit of sparkle, subtle increase in vol and compression.
thanx alot...I appreciate it. It's always cool to have other working voltages.

Did you try to move Q2C voltage up & down to see where you liked it best? I definitely wouldn't call what I got "dirty". I'd call it fat, chunky & smooth....with excellent sustain.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I wonder if MPSA 13, and MPSA 14 transistors will work in this circuit, I think I've got some stashed away somewhere, HFE is something like 10,000 or so.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

DrNomis wrote:I wonder if MPSA 13, and MPSA 14 transistors will work in this circuit, I think I've got some stashed away somewhere, HFE is something like 10,000 or so.... :hmmm:
I think I actually tried that and they didn't...you would have to re-design the circuit for darlington. I just went with the highest hfe I had, MPSA18

you should try em, anyway. my memory could be off.

Nico3p
Information

Post by Nico3p »

Cambia qualcosa se al posto degli elettrolitici vengono montati dei condensatori al tantalio (per rendere più bassi i componenti)?

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

I just finished drawing up, etched and built a PCB for it and it sounds awesome.
I used MSPA18 transistors but had to adjust the two 10K collector resistors to get the transistors to sound good. with the stock 10K's I was only getting 1.6V on the collectors and although the circuit worked, it sounded horrible and very gated.
I replaced them 2.2K's and get 3.7V and it's smooth and silky.
I also added a gain control so I can lower the amount of fuzz if I want to.
here's the PCB layout:
Attachments
00001-Montarbo-Sinfhoton with gain control.png

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

here's my completed build in an etched enclosure:
Attachments
Sinfhoton-02.jpg
Sinfhoton-01.jpg

Wiseblood
Information

Post by Wiseblood »

Nice build johnk, what is that switching you're using?