Ersatz Verben - PT2399 pseudo reverb

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Inspired by the Crap-Fi Delay by allesz, I decided to see if a similar simple circuit would work at lower delay times for reverb and slapback. It does.

Once the basic circuit was up and running, earthtones helped me refine it and make it much nicer. He's wicked smaht like that.

Delay time range is about 40ms up to about 140ms. As delay time is increased, more highs are rolled off by C4 (that was ETA's idea). So it's pretty much hiss/noise free no matter the delay time.

I've got a 2-sided layout done and prototypes ordered. But I thought I'd post this in hopes that someone who was interested would work up a vero layout or a one-sided PCB layout. If there is a DIY-friendly layout, I can move this thread into the the "Complete" folder. <now completed>

Here is a demo clip:

ersatz_v1-4.png
ersatz_v1-4.png (5.93 KiB) Viewed 4695 times

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

That is very clever and sounds really good. Nice, nice work, CJ!

Would it be okay if I try the SS layout? Maybe a 1590A?

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

madbean wrote:Would it be okay if I try the SS layout? Maybe a 1590A?
I would be honored if you would do the layout. And please feel free to post it at your site as well. And shit, I'm sure you'll think of a cool tweak while working up the layout and probably end up with an improved version. :thumbsup

Oh, and I should add the pads J1 and J2 are there in case anyone wants to add some wires and do something funky with that unused low-pass filter/op amp thingie in there. That was earthtone's idea well. He says that if not used, the pads should be jumpered.

Another note while I'm thinking about it: I tried to see if a 10k/12k voltage divider would work in place of the regulator. It does...sort of. The chip gets pretty noisy this way unless there is like 470u or more filtering right near pin 1. And that takes up more space than the regulator and a small cap. And it also doesn't protect the IC if somebody plugs in a 12v supply. I was just trying to see how many rules I could break. :lol:

Here's the layout I did. It's 1.55" x 1.25".
ersatz_v1-4_2S.png
ersatz_v1-4_2S.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 4681 times

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Cool, I'll take a crack at it. What about a 5.1v zener and then a 10uF tant right next to pin1? You could eliminate the PS filter cap, I think.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

madbean wrote:Cool, I'll take a crack at it. What about a 5.1v zener and then a 10uF tant right next to pin1? You could eliminate the PS filter cap, I think.
Yeah, I think that would also work. There's no real need for the main filter cap, I suppose. And C11 can probably go bye-bye. A lot of delay circuits omit that one. I threw it in hoping it would somehow make things quieter. :lol:

If I can find a 5.1v zener, I'll give it a try. I still have the circuit on a breadboard. I'll see about dropping C11 as well.

And apparently I left out the polarity diode. Not sure if that even matters in this one.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Here's my 1590A layout. The borders are 1.4"W x 1.425"H. Obviously unverified ATM. It's meant for 1/8 or 1/4W resistors, multi-layer ceramic or box caps, and tantalum electrolytic. The only liberty I took was in the values of the PS filtering caps.

Probably best to use either 9mm or 12mm Alphas for fitting in the box!
ErsatzVerben.png
ErsatzVerben_PNP.png
ErsatzVerben_Schem.png

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I just thought of a neat mod you could add here. Add a dual op-amp as an envelope filter off the input. Connect that to an LED and attach a photocell to the 1k off pin6 and then a switch to ground. When the switch is engaged, the reverb amount will respond to pick dynamics, so when you play hard, the reverb is short and when you play soft it's long.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

See, I knew you'd think of something cool. :thumbsup

I think modulated reverb would be a nice next step.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

This looks and sounds very nice! The mod Madbean suggesting will probably work quite well too, you'll get some strange minor pitch bends too as it speeds up/slows down.

EDIT - that combined time/treble roll off control is a really good idea!

[EDIT 2 - Madbean suggested the mod - personal note; read the thread briggs....]

I am Klon.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

briggs wrote:EDIT - that combined time/treble roll off control is a really good idea!
I know! I wish I could take credit for it, but that's all earthtonesaudio. I was going to have a switch to crank up the low-pass for longer delay times, but he just said, "Why not tie into the delay pot to make it progressive?"

:slap:

briggs
Tube Twister
Information

Post by briggs »

culturejam wrote:
briggs wrote:EDIT - that combined time/treble roll off control is a really good idea!
I know! I wish I could take credit for it, but that's all earthtonesaudio. I was going to have a switch to crank up the low-pass for longer delay times, but he just said, "Why not tie into the delay pot to make it progressive?"

:slap:
So simple, I can't believe someone hasn't noticed this one before! Well in Earth...

I am Klon.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

I didn't think about the pitch bend---that could sound awesome or be a deal breaker.

Here's a quick draft of what I had in mind.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information

Post by briggs »

I did an experiment years ago with an envelope follower, sequencer and LFO with the PT2399, they all sound good and create some weird pitch bending sounds... The sequencer was truly insane but very fun!

I am Klon.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Yes, I like that. I like it a lot. I suppose as long as you can turn off the envelope, the pitch bending is a great feature.

And while we're at it, the output could probably use a buffer to keep things at unity. The version I posted is at unity, but it can sometimes sound quieter with the mix set at certain spots.

Next draft, you might as well put everbody's names on there: allesz, earthtones, me, and you. And probably Briggs too. :thumbsup

briggs
Tube Twister
Information

Post by briggs »

It could probably make a really nice sounding bare bones chorus/flanger too if you used the LFO from Tim Escobedo's Wobbletron/Bigfoot FX Magnavibe (I've been using that recently ;) ) to modulate the delay time....

I am Klon.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

briggs wrote:It could probably make a really nice sounding bare bones chorus/flanger too if you used the LFO from Tim Escobedo's Wobbletron/Bigfoot FX Magnavibe (I've been using that recently ;) ) to modulate the delay time....
The minimum delay time is a bit too long to make a good chorus or flanger. See frequencycentral's "Little Angel Chorus" for a neat trick to make a 2399 do the chorus thing. :thumbsup

But hell, I'm all up for trying it another way.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Yeah, you could just attach an LFO, or maybe this envelope idea to pin2 instead. I haven't really played with that, though.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

madbean wrote:I didn't think about the pitch bend---that could sound awesome or be a deal breaker.

The inverting input is a virtual ground, which will mute the signal if connected directly. Also the input is at GND dc bias, so AC couple to the envelope detector or there will be scratchies.

culturejam wrote:See, I knew you'd think of something cool. :thumbsup

I think modulated reverb would be a nice next step.
LPF2 could be used as either a LFO or an envelope detector... maybe both. :idea:
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

earthtonesaudio wrote:LPF2 could be used as either a LFO or an envelope detector... maybe both. :idea:
That's what I was hoping.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

earthtonesaudio wrote:
madbean wrote:I didn't think about the pitch bend---that could sound awesome or be a deal breaker.

The inverting input is a virtual ground, which will mute the signal if connected directly. Also the input is at GND dc bias, so AC couple to the envelope detector or there will be scratchies.
D'oh, good catch! Thanks.