weird toggle switch question

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

hey guys,

so I just finished a Klon Buffer, which i put in a 1590A enclosure with a simple mini-toggle switch.
Now i played a little and flicked it back and forth and had a hard time telling the difference which i guess is normal with cables that are maybe 15' long (I know some have golden ears :D ).

Now i tried it in front of my Fuzz Face just for the heck of it (I don't have a buffered pedal) because i wanted to hear the nastiness and to my surprise the nastiness came not on what i expected to be the "on" position of the switch, instead the buffer seems to be on, when i turn it "off" (or so i thought the switch works).

Now my guess is I have a different kind of toggle-switch, are there actually toggle switches that go like this? The switch has KNX-2 engraved and is a 3 position ON-OFF-ON.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

That picture is how every toggle switch I've used has worked.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Nocentelli wrote:That picture is how every toggle switch I've used has worked.
what? wtf. I always thought they switch to the direction they actually go? I made the picture from an on-on-on switch that had those at the outer position (but switched) and the one up one down on the middle position. :scratch:

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

The toggle moves connectors at the other end of it to join the contacts.

Imagine the lever being extended into the body of the switch and the way around it is becomes very intuitive. Imagine how hard it would be (physically) to do it the other way.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

you're right, this makes def sense from a mechanical point of view :slap:
I just assumed the lever position would indicate the switch position, lol. never really thought about how it's implemented.

i just feel like the kid that just heard the news that santa doesn't exist and everyone knew :lol: :oops:

Westbury
Information

Post by Westbury »

Haha, yea that's how they always are :thumbsup

skylark44
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by skylark44 »

He doesn't? :shock: :cry: [smilie=a_damnit.gif] :mrgreen: