Resonant Electronic Design Acceleron Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
greigoroth
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by greigoroth »

Never heard of this brand or pedal but there is a really nice clip at Jet City music. JFET fuzz. Kinda Zippy-ish fuzz. Sounds nice!

Here is a description from the website:
Most guitar players either love or hate fuzz pedals. Here at Resonant we had mixed feelings. We love the classic tones of Fuzz Faces and other early fuzz designs, but most of them are prone to splatty, overly-compressed sounds when set to anything but the optimal settings. Modern fuzzes can do some amazing tricks and can produce some unique tones, but often they are one-trick-ponies relagated to the bridge of one song, or random use during late-night jams.

We wanted to design a fuzz pedal that could do it all and never sound out-of-control or unusable. The task was to create a circuit that could produce vintage fuzz style tones, explosion-esque modern fuzz style tones, and everything in between - all without ever getting overly noisy or misbehaving. It took some serious tinkering and an entirely new approach to fuzz circuits, but we did it. This thing will roar, scream, and sing - all at the turn of a knob, and it will never let you down by being unpredictable or unusable.

Just like all of our Field Effects pedals, the Acceleron Fuzz uses a discrete Class A topology and is built with audiophile grade components. This is the fuzz that will replace a pedal board full of other fuzz pedals.
Here's a screenshot from the youtube video above
acceleron_smaller.jpg
Not much to go on, but yeah...

electrosonic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by electrosonic »

I wish they hadn't put a stereo echo on the recording, makes you wonder what other post production was done to the tones.

Sounds good though.

Andrew.

greigoroth
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by greigoroth »

electrosonic wrote:I wish they hadn't put a stereo echo on the recording, makes you wonder what other post production was done to the tones.

Sounds good though.

Andrew.
Check the vid from 1:40 ish - Jet City usually compose a "song" showing off the pedal in the beginning, then the rest is "unproduced" pedal demo.

bhill
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by bhill »

"built with audiophile grade components" ? For a fuzz box? :?

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

... to ensure clean dirt of course ! Anyway I'm looking forward to learning more (from another gutshot, if available) !!!
Patafix... so sticky

greigoroth
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by greigoroth »

I couldn't find any more shots when I googled it, considered buying it for the hell of it but 225 bucks I'd rather buy a fuzz from John Lyons, a bottle of Bollinger and make a night of it.

weskuhnley
Information

Post by weskuhnley »

Happy to answer any questions you might have about the Acceleron.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

weskuhnley wrote:Happy to answer any questions you might have about the Acceleron.
fancy to share schematic? :slap:

weskuhnley
Information

Post by weskuhnley »

sinner wrote:
weskuhnley wrote:Happy to answer any questions you might have about the Acceleron.
fancy to share schematic? :slap:
Naw, I'll make you work for it. :D

Isn't that the point of FSB? :wink:

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

Really enjoying this dynamic.
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

finally. someone get fsb.
in memory of Max Cohen.Image
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Tried to trace from some guts and info from another forum. Couple of traces aren't exactly clear though, and as a result, there are several things I think are wrong. Namely, the drain connection on Q1 (can't see it connecting to anything but the base of Q2) and the connections around D1/D2. Attached is what I've got so far.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Do I spy a bazz fuss lurking in there? mmm, sophisticated.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

skywise
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by skywise »

I may have missed a few traces in drawing this, but I think it may be close.

Acceleron_drawing.jpg

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Think I've got it now.

weskuhnley
Information

Post by weskuhnley »

mmolteratx wrote:Think I've got it now.

There are still a number of errors in this schemo. :wink:

Also interesting you chose to put a (C) on your lifted schematic...just sayin.

I mentioned this in the Manifold drive thread, but finding 5457's with the right characteristics is critical to getting these pedals to sound right. It surprised me initially, because the transistors test virtually identically, but in circuit there are very noticeable differences.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

weskuhnley wrote:
mmolteratx wrote:Think I've got it now.

There are still a number of errors in this schemo. :wink:

Also interesting you chose to put a (C) on your lifted schematic...just sayin.

I mentioned this in the Manifold drive thread, but finding 5457's with the right characteristics is critical to getting these pedals to sound right. It surprised me initially, because the transistors test virtually identically, but in circuit there are very noticeable differences.
The (C) is there in case anyone tries to claim copyright and have it taken down, which has happened before here. Just a precaution.

Care to confirm the errors? Things that look odd to me are DC coupling between Q1/Q2, particularly considering the current source on Q2's emitter, the location of D1/D2, which would make more sense at the input, or in place of R6 in the current source.

EDIT: Oh, a couple values are slightly off. Shows me to not confirm them before drawing.

R3 - 49.9Ω
R4 - 1k87
R5 - 47k5
R14 - 1k37

weskuhnley
Information

Post by weskuhnley »

mmolteratx wrote:
The (C) is there in case anyone tries to claim copyright and have it taken down, which has happened before here. Just a precaution.

Care to confirm the errors? Things that look odd to me are DC coupling between Q1/Q2, particularly considering the current source on Q2's emitter, the location of D1/D2, which would make more sense at the input, or in place of R6 in the current source.

EDIT: Oh, a couple values are slightly off. Shows me to not confirm them before drawing.

R3 - 49.9Ω
R4 - 1k87
R5 - 47k5
R14 - 1k37
You're on the right track, but any specific help from me defeats the point right?

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

weskuhnley wrote:
mmolteratx wrote:

R3 - 49.9Ω
R4 - 1k87
R5 - 47k5
R14 - 1k37
You're on the right track, but any specific help from me defeats the point right?
I guess. :lol: Went back and looked closer at the pics, I flipped the trace from the junction of D1/D2, so they're definitely at the gate of Q1. Also looks like there's a trace connecting the drain of Q1 to the base of Q2, and I don't see any caps that would reasonably connect the two. I'll see if I can repost the pics I'm referencing here for everyone else. Attached what I've got as of now, and will remove the old one in a minute.

FWIW, I'm definitely close to buying one. Sounds killer in the clips, and I'm trying not to use my own stock of 5457s unless I absolutely have to. :thumbsup
Attachments
Acceleron.png

weskuhnley
Information

Post by weskuhnley »

mmolteratx wrote:...I'm trying not to use my own stock of 5457s unless I absolutely have to. :thumbsup
Not going to pony up for 2500? :mrgreen: