The PCB Drill Topic

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
Kinki fuzz
Information

Post by Kinki fuzz »

Hi guys,

Did some search and found no answers so I’m opening a topic, sorry if the info is out there.

I’d love to know your recommendations on tools you use to drill the pcbs. Is there any specific tool I can get?

I’ve been using drills intended for other uses, as I’ve been doing mainly fuzzes this was ok, but when you have more than a couple dozen holes, this is a real pain. I mean, for a rangemaster I could even do it by hand, but for a Memory Man? No way!!. So I’m sure there’s PCB drills out there, but have no experience so I’d love to spoil your know how 

What do you use? Where can I buy it?...

Thanks!

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

For the past few years I've been using a standard mid-size drill press with 0.8mm bits with no problems. I've recently started using a Dremel with the drill press accessory, which results in cleaner holes - probably due to the higher speed of the Dremel which matches that required by the small bits.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yeah, the dremel withe the mini press works well. larger drill presses work fine as well though, and you can drill enclosures.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

RnFR wrote:yeah, the dremel withe the mini press works well.
+1 for this. :thumbsup
RnFR wrote: larger drill presses work fine as well though, and you can drill enclosures.
I wouldn't consider using mine for PCBs. But definitely does the job for enclosures.
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

RnFR wrote: larger drill presses work fine as well though, and you can drill enclosures.
+1. I use something similar to the picture with total success
Attachments
KW1500407.jpg
KW1500407.jpg (6.07 KiB) Viewed 3578 times

Kinki fuzz
Information

Post by Kinki fuzz »

Thanks pals, I think I'll get myself a dremel, I got a big drill that's good for boxes, but a pain in the back (literal) for pcbs.

Kinki fuzz
Information

Post by Kinki fuzz »

Hi, if anybody cares, I got the dremel and… total success. So recommended as a lightweight and space saving solution