Skreddy - P19  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Skreddy wrote:
Seiche wrote:what are D1-D4? Just 1N4148s?
Basically. I have a special "Skreddy" recipe for my clipping diodes for the slightest touch of asymmetric clipping that doesn't sound so different in the final mix (after 2 stages of clipping), but just adds a little bit of depth and character. I'd like to reserve that one last piece of info as my own signature touch. I suspect that older Big Muffs might coincidentally share a similar profile because older diodes were probably less precisely made and matched back in the day (much like older transistors tend to vary hugely in gains compared to their new counterparts).
so you match diodes for assymetry?

what do you think about the use of 1n400X vs 1n4148 in Big Muffs? 1n400X tend to sound smoother and less harsh (to me) in many applications.

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

Seiche wrote:
Skreddy wrote:
Seiche wrote:what are D1-D4? Just 1N4148s?
Basically. I have a special "Skreddy" recipe for my clipping diodes for the slightest touch of asymmetric clipping that doesn't sound so different in the final mix (after 2 stages of clipping), but just adds a little bit of depth and character. I'd like to reserve that one last piece of info as my own signature touch. I suspect that older Big Muffs might coincidentally share a similar profile because older diodes were probably less precisely made and matched back in the day (much like older transistors tend to vary hugely in gains compared to their new counterparts).
so you match diodes for assymetry?

what do you think about the use of 1n400X vs 1n4148 in Big Muffs? 1n400X tend to sound smoother and less harsh (to me) in many applications.
Interesting. Did not even know this. Wikipedia entry on 1N4001:... "Many of the diodes in this family exhibit a change in capacitance with reverse bias and can thus be used by experimenters as makeshift varicap diodes."

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Skreddy wrote:Interesting. Did not even know this. Wikipedia entry on 1N4001:... "Many of the diodes in this family exhibit a change in capacitance with reverse bias and can thus be used by experimenters as makeshift varicap diodes."
not sure what the application of varicap diodes would be?

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

Seiche wrote:
Skreddy wrote:Interesting. Did not even know this. Wikipedia entry on 1N4001:... "Many of the diodes in this family exhibit a change in capacitance with reverse bias and can thus be used by experimenters as makeshift varicap diodes."
not sure what the application of varicap diodes would be?
I imagine that their capacitance would increase with voltage? So you could conceivably use smaller nfb aka "miller" caps and let the diode's variable capacitance smooth off at stronger signals. This would fix one of the Big Muff's issues: the high harmonics are created by virtue of the clipping; and so with constant filters, lower-intensity signals, which are not clipped, naturally sound dark and muddy.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

so these might make very good big muff diodes? I just know that I like them for clipping to ground and much prefer them in the honey bee for example over 1n4148s.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Oh god, I'm going to have to try out another BMP variant now...
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

Seiche wrote:so these might make very good big muff diodes? I just know that I like them for clipping to ground and much prefer them in the honey bee for example over 1n4148s.
Noone can answer that but you - slap 'em in and have a play - your ears are the best judge.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

ShortScaleMike wrote:
Seiche wrote:so these might make very good big muff diodes? I just know that I like them for clipping to ground and much prefer them in the honey bee for example over 1n4148s.
Noone can answer that but you - slap 'em in and have a play - your ears are the best judge.
you're right, i need to make a BMP style pedal one of these days... I've never played a big muff :oops:

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Seiche wrote:
ShortScaleMike wrote:
you're right, i need to make a BMP style pedal one of these days... I've never played a big muff :oops:
:shock: Seiche!!! You need to throw together one of those 'Classic' Swollen Pickle based Muffs I posted. You will love it!
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

:oops: so many different variants to choose from though... skreddy, swollen pickle, then all the different original versions.
I might start with a green russian though, as I love the black keys and that fat thunderous sound they are supposed to have. [smilie=3nod8um.gif]

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

Seiche wrote::oops: so many different variants to choose from though... skreddy, swollen pickle, then all the different original versions.
I might start with a green russian though, as I love the black keys and that fat thunderous sound they are supposed to have. [smilie=3nod8um.gif]
LOL. The Big Muff circuit is the Herpes of guitar pedals---it is the gift that just keeps giving. I heartily recommend you place sockets for the diode clippers, the cap between Q2 and Q3 and caps in the tone section so you can experiment.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Here's a vero layout if anyone wants to give it a shot:

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

Please label your clone layouts as "workalike" or "inspired by" or "based on" and not simply the actual trademark name.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Hi Marc. I was thinking of doing that on the layouts for your pedals but to be honest I didn't know the best way to word it. If I use the words "workalike", "inspired by" or "based on" it implies to me some sort of sound-alike which is less accurate when this is my interpretation of a schematic. What if I put something like "My interpretation of x's schematic"?
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Skreddy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Skreddy »

IvIark wrote:Hi Marc. I was thinking of doing that on the layouts for your pedals but to be honest I didn't know the best way to word it. If I use the words "workalike", "inspired by" or "based on" it implies to me some sort of sound-alike which is less accurate when this is my interpretation of a schematic. What if I put something like "My interpretation of x's schematic"?
That would be perfect. :thumbsup

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Will do

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

I also think something like, "An alternative layout for the NoobScreamer OD" might be both accurate as well as "delicate".

Nah, it's not a clone, it's an alternative layout. Kinda like, we're not a cover band, we're a tribute band!! :thumbsup

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Sk3rdy Pee Neintiehn

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Seiche wrote:Sk3rdy Pee Neintiehn
I'll see your Pee Neintiehn and raise you a T2mmy. :lol:

(side note: I applaud your grasp of English-language phonetics. I keep forgetting it's not your native language.)

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

:lol: Wtf! Toomy? :hmmm: Twommy?
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom