Schematic needed for DIY low power tube combo

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hello

I've got two old Akai tube tape recorders which I've begun to dismantle, a M7 and M8.
I've also a dead Marshall 75 reverb combo (with a very good celestion speaker and nice large reverb tank) which is in very nice white tolex...

So I'd like to build a small tube amp with all these parts, but I don't know exactly what schematic to choose.
My idea is to use an EF86 as preamp tube and maybe an EL84 in single ended setup for power.

I'd like to have a single channel pre with an efficient tone control (if it's easy that would be great to have a switchable baxendall style EQ), also I need a master volume and output power switching (from low to ultra low ).
An addition of a direct line out with a speaker emulator would be great too... but the idea is to remain very straight and simple (and, of course, the cheapest is the best 8) ).

So if someone has suggestions about this, thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Z.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

It's a case of Pick one of the hundred or more possibilities? :lol:
I'd stay away from EF86 preamps ,,,tend to be noisy,, but hey free world.
If you have a second Amp look at reamping the small rig and save the messing about with half power outputs.
my 2 cents,, Phil.

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

phatt wrote:It's a case of Pick one of the hundred or more possibilities? :lol:
Yes that's the main problem :wink:

Thanks for the tip with the EF86. As soon as I know what schematic to use I will try to make a comparison between the EF86 and the ECC83.

Reamping is not really what I'm looking for: this little amp will be mainly used for practice and small rehearsals (with no drummer setup). So I think I will have a good use of the output switch as my bandmates are not amplified sometimes (accordion, flute, or line electronic instruments).

But the line out is not mandatory, and could be forgotten to keep things simple on this side.

Cups
Information

Post by Cups »

This is probably the place to search: http://www.ax84.com/

Lots of info and ideas.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi Zokk,

Perhaps this link of a blog belonging to a forum member describe the design of the amp you´re looking for:

https://diyguitarfreak.wordpress.com/20 ... /#more-168

There is a great numbers of questions and answer about transformers, pots and other things in these same blog, and the guy looks to be a nice person.

Finally, my 2 cents: the ECC99 can be substituted by the american 12BH7 directly. 8)

Cheers,
Jose

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Thank you Jose and Cups!
pretty useful information there, great!

I will continue to dig for "the good one", but I begin to think about a modded Tiny Terror maybe...