??? indicator Led lights up - nothing plugged into input

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
mojoh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojoh »

im using this wiring for my builds

however i only noticed the other day that with nothing plugged into the input/output jacks...the indicator still lights up when the foot switch is engaged (with battery is still in pedal)

does that mean that its draining battery life if the footswitch is dissengaged (with nothing plugged into input/output jacks?)

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

If the battery black wire connects to the ring on the jack socket, (as in your picture) then this is impossible :shock: - check your wiring :!: - perhaps you have the earth and ring connections vice versa in the jack :wink:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

mojoh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojoh »

turns out i had the sleve and ring vice versa.
hangs head in shame

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Just for future reference I have had this happen with bad battery clips, with those cheap plastic ones they get squashed and I assume the red and black leads connect inside as squeezing it can allow the LED to come on even when wired correctly.

mojoh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojoh »

Scruffie wrote:Just for future reference I have had this happen with bad battery clips, with those cheap plastic ones they get squashed and I assume the red and black leads connect inside as squeezing it can allow the LED to come on even when wired correctly.
i noticed this happened as well after i fixed the wiring...as im using small enclosures. problem was solved getting a T- styled battery clip...

ive learnt so much about making/mounting/wiring up pedals from just 3 pedal builds.

the wiring etc is pretty simple (even an idiot like me can sorta get a graps like it) but i think making a gig worthy professional pedal is an art itself.

Merry Browen
Information

Post by Merry Browen »

perhaps you have the earth and ring connections vice versa in the jack. :)

--------------------
led downlight
LED Fluorescent
led strip lights