hfe measurement beginners puzzele

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
registracii
Information

Post by registracii »

I got a new multimeter that has the hfe tester - so I decided to test it.
I get a value of 223.. which starts to drop slowly - I waited until it dropped to 214 but Im sure I will continue to drop this takes about a minute.
is that a normal reading or somethings wrong with the transistors or the multimeter ? :scratch:

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

What transistor is it? Seems about right, for a medium gain transistor (like 2N3904)... If you have warmed it (the transistor) with your fingers, Hfe will (slightly) rise, and then slowly go down as it "cools" down to room temperature again. Try touching it while you're measuring and see if value goes up :thumbsup

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

registracii
Information

Post by registracii »

it's a 2N7000.
Thanks for the explanation.

juanro
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by juanro »

Ah! But that's different... a 2N7000 is a mosfet, it doesn't have "Hfe", wich is the ratio of two currents... the one going into the base (to emitter), and the one from collector to emitter. Hfe = Ice / Ibe
Mosfets are "transconductance" devices, they allow a certain current from Drain to Source depending on a _voltage_ applied to gate, wich is electrically isolated from the other two terminals and thus current will not flow (under normal circunstances, at least)
I don't know if your meter has a specific setting to measure mosfets; if no, the value you're seeing is a spurious one (probably some drift current from gate charge buildup)

Regards,
Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.

registracii
Information

Post by registracii »

I think it does.. however I will look into it in more detail. there is much to be learned.