Joyo - JF-08 Digital Delay [gut shots]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
twangster
Information

Post by twangster »

Hi, a picture of my joyo digital delay:
https://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7006/dsc0000182.jpg
Chips are PT2399, SA571N, RC4558P
Sorry for image quality and my english.
Fabio
Italy

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Very nice. A 2399 + compander. Very boutique indeed. :applause:

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

culturejam wrote:Very nice. A 2399 + compander. Very boutique indeed. :applause:
does the compander make it not have the oscillation, e.g. when you're turning the time knob, vs the deep blue delay?

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Seiche wrote:does the compander make it not have the oscillation, e.g. when you're turning the time knob, vs the deep blue delay?
I have no idea if that is also an outcome. But the compander's main role is to reduce hiss/noise in the repeats.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

culturejam wrote:
Seiche wrote:does the compander make it not have the oscillation, e.g. when you're turning the time knob, vs the deep blue delay?
I have no idea if that is also an outcome. But the compander's main role is to reduce hiss/noise in the repeats.
i was just wondering why the DBD has it, while the joyo doesn't in the videos.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Seiche wrote:
culturejam wrote:
i was just wondering why the DBD has it, while the joyo doesn't in the videos.
Nope, that's more question about how the feedback pot is calculated. See some vids of the pt-80 and see how it oscillates.

twangster
Information

Post by twangster »

My Joyo oscillates, of course a BBD delay oscillates more sweetly

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

i got one ,it seems a pt80 by ggg,i will take a look,nice cheap pedal.

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

I've got a weird problem, I have several pedals all 3pdt, the guvnor is the one who is giving problem, when I connect it with the Joyo delay increases the volume of the delay, which can be?

jimsreynolds
Information

Post by jimsreynolds »

Got one of these yesterday and am not entirely happy. There is a high end roll-off on the repeats that I just don't like. The voicing is not very nice. I know that many people like analog delays and that lo-fi sound but that is not what I want from a digital delay and I dont think I am getting that anyway. I want something a bit more pristine ... or even with a simple tone control to take the harsh edge off the repeats when needed. I am guessing that the roll-off is deliberate and and wondering if it can be removed or tuned.

Does this sound like a straightforward mod or should I just sell the pedal on?

raspy263
Information

Post by raspy263 »

were joyo pedals built by individuals earlier on and now machined mfg ? because i see this circuit board
has regular resistors were newer models look machined .

like this jf-34 Image

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

jimsreynolds wrote:Got one of these yesterday and am not entirely happy. There is a high end roll-off on the repeats that I just don't like. The voicing is not very nice. I know that many people like analog delays and that lo-fi sound but that is not what I want from a digital delay and I dont think I am getting that anyway. I want something a bit more pristine ... or even with a simple tone control to take the harsh edge off the repeats when needed. I am guessing that the roll-off is deliberate and and wondering if it can be removed or tuned.

not something worth trying. It is designed from the ground up to sound like that. You just need a delay noted for clean delays.
Behringer Digital Delay and such and on up in price.
I know the new Chinese import pedals are counter-intuitive with their "digital delay" labeling. I have the biyang version and it sounds very analog.

I would sell the joyo for almost as much as you paid and I suggest you look at a Digitech Digidelay. It has pristine digital delays and 6 other delay voices. You can find them on ebay for @$50.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

twangster
Information

Post by twangster »

jimsreynolds wrote:Got one of these yesterday and am not entirely happy. There is a high end roll-off on the repeats that I just don't like. The voicing is not very nice. I know that many people like analog delays and that lo-fi sound but that is not what I want from a digital delay and I dont think I am getting that anyway. I want something a bit more pristine ... or even with a simple tone control to take the harsh edge off the repeats when needed. I am guessing that the roll-off is deliberate and and wondering if it can be removed or tuned.

A well-made Filter Circuit makes it very similar to the sound of Analog Delay

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

Bit late to the party, but just got one of these. Looking it over all component values I could read near enough match those in scott swartz's PT80 - it looks to be the same thing minus the charge pump, as alexradium & prob others have already said. (There are non polarised 2.2uf caps in place of most the 1uf caps in the pt80, trivial diff).

Quality of one I got is really remarkable.Very cleanly soldered. Puts a lot of expensive boutique pedals to shame.

Also appears to be proper 60/40 solder(!). Nice shiny joints. No grimy non leaded stuff.

Expect I got a bit lucky. This range of joyos look hand soldered & the individual who did mine I guess has taken care and is pretty meticulous/skilled.

Only thing to be careful of, saw no polarity protection diode.

Shld maybe be run on 12v psu, like pt80. Could go higher voltage I guess, but 571 abs max is 18v I think & could be asking too much of 5v regulator.

Cost me plenty less to buy this than to build a nice pt80!
Yet to break through the Space Charge

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

i got this for 25€,with a busted bypass switch that was a nightmare to replace,i guess the solder was lead free.
Anyway i resold it for 40...
didn't like too much the modulating repeats,no digital at all...

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

It helps to melt in fresh 60/40 solder to a joint first and then desolder with pump or braid... sure you know that already. :thumbsup

Yes, removing a switch directly soldered to a pcb is a tedious job (unless you have a rework station perhaps). Personally I would either try to destroy the dead switch somehow so that you're only desoldering individual pins. Or I would dispose of the little board along with the dead switch and wire up a new one traditional/diy style.

Soldering mechanical parts direct to pcb facilitates manufacture/building & solves prob of how to fix a board inside enclosure. But future maintenance or repair isn't considered... throw away culture or economics I guess.

Not sure what you mean by modulating repeats. There is no modulation/lfo here. Do you mean it's not pristine/digital enough sounding?

If you look up Scott Schwartz's notes, the PT80 was designed to try and sound like an analogue delay, the the Boss DM2 in particular. The filters try to emulate frequency response in the DM2 if I remember right.

A possible mod (purely theoretical) could be to adjust/remove the additional post delay filter that follows the output filter in the pt2399... you could maybe even add a bypass switch to add or remove it. But the filters were calculated to limit certain frequencies. I don't yet know enough to recalculate these and what you could aim for instead... that's electrical engineering I guess :block:

Also there's the compander in this, like in the classic analogue delays.

Another joyo I have is clearly lead free solder and smeared in flux. The soldering and bent and burnt components is kind of what I expected for the price... i anticipated I'd clean it up and maybe replace some parts (no big deal). But the delay I got was a real surprise. Was nicely made to begin with. Bit of luck like I say
Yet to break through the Space Charge

joejoe
Information

Post by joejoe »

does anybody know if it safe the Joyo Digital Delay on 12v?
i tried it for a couple of minutes and nothing bad happen'd, actually something very good happen'd - it sounded much better with 12v...
so those who know how to check that... pls... i really like it and don't want to damage it.
tahnks
joe

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Could you please explain why they call this a "digital" delay?
What makes a digital delay different of analog delay? I mean, always thought a "digital" effect was something in the realms os a sound processor and such... this one's nothing like it.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

joejoe wrote:does anybody know if it safe the Joyo Digital Delay on 12v?
i tried it for a couple of minutes and nothing bad happen'd, actually something very good happen'd - it sounded much better with 12v...
so those who know how to check that... pls... i really like it and don't want to damage it.
tahnks
joe
in general there is a 5V regulator in this kind of effects,whatever you input,it always works on 5V,but the analog opamps work at a higher voltage,that means more headroom and sometimes the performance in terms of noise,dynamics and bandwidth can improve.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

zedsnotdead wrote:Could you please explain why they call this a "digital" delay?
What makes a digital delay different of analog delay? I mean, always thought a "digital" effect was something in the realms os a sound processor and such... this one's nothing like it.
it is digital,because it utilizes a chip that converts analog signal to numbers,does its sampling work and then converts back from numbers to analog signal again.
So,in this case its a pure analog direct signal mixed with digital processed delay signal.
Pure analog delays are all those that use BBD chips such MN3007,SAD1024 etc.