Laney Cub 10

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Paulreed245
Information

Post by Paulreed245 »

Got a laney cub 10 about a month ago and was very pleasantly surprised by how good it sounded, very full, open,and even the 3d swirl thingy that has to be heard to be believed, in other words, great amp for $200!

Until the trouble started...first the preamp tubes started the occasional sputter, boiling sound, changed them, all is good again. Week later I notice that the sound more unpleasantly distorted than normal, so I back off the master volume by about a quarter turn, the amp actually get louder! I turn it back up to make sure I'm not just hearing things and yes, slight drop in volume and muddy, spotty distortion, reminds me of what people refer to as the "dying battery" sound in a fuzz.

A quick change of the power amp tubes, luckily I had two 6v6's on hand, and the amp is back to normal, even better, I noticed I didn't have to have the preamp knob as high to get the same level of sound as I did before.

Then the thing starts making a high pitched squeal, so high in pitch that I couldn't hear it myself but others, who haven't ruined their ears playing guitar for 40 years, could. So I check the only thing I had changed as sure enough, one of the 6v6's glass had separated from the base, not enough to lose vacumme and cause the glass to go grey, but it could be wiggled from side to side.
So I had to put the originals back in and have the same volume problem as before.

I'll just order new tubes soon and that should cover that problem.

But I did notice the amp uses surface mount components, the little things you'd normally find in your phone or computer but not tube amps.

What I would like to do is get a chassis and build a PTP cub 10 with quality components, just for the piece of mind.

My thinking is that this amp sounds so good with cheap components that it has to be the circuit design that plays a big part in its sound quality.

Trouble is I'm a paint by number kind of builder, I have the schematic and was wondering how you guys go from schematic to layout in what I consider such a liner form, circuit board contact points in a straight line.

tip142
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tip142 »

Ithink that a good starting point is to share the schematic with the Forum.
I don't no what kind of Amp is,so with the schem. is maybe possible found the resolution of the problem.
:mrgreen:

Paulreed245
Information

Post by Paulreed245 »

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t24231/

This site has a link to the PDF file containing the schematic, its the second post down.

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

I've a cub12r just here. Power tubes are EL84, and that's all that change. It's aaaaaall SMD components but anode resistors. It is a cub of problems, I'm starting to hate it...
But, as U said, Paul, it's very cheap and U have tubes, transformers, sockets, case, chasis, speaker...
I think it's a great option to remake the circuit since it's the cheapest part :blackeye
Best regards!!

Paulreed245
Information

Post by Paulreed245 »

iq01221 wrote:I've a cub12r just here. Power tubes are EL84, and that's all that change. It's aaaaaall SMD components but anode resistors. It is a cub of problems, I'm starting to hate it...
But, as U said, Paul, it's very cheap and U have tubes, transformers, sockets, case, chasis, speaker...
I think it's a great option to remake the circuit since it's the cheapest part :blackeye
Best regards!!
It's also the most difficult, especially without a layout :(

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

dredging this thread.. I have the CUB 10 and really like the sound. not gigged it so am unsure about the reliabilty, but am interested in the idea of putting this into a standard sized 1X12 cab.. I do need a line out on my amps (just for in-ear.. doesn't need all the 'colour' that the rest of the circuit may offer).. but clueless as to how I might add that.. anyone seen a mod I could apply to this cub 10?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.