SHO Problem

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
guitarist1977
Information

Post by guitarist1977 »

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and have not worked with schematics for a long time. So i decided to build SHO since schematic looks quite easy. I took veroboard layout and schematic from here https://hotbottles.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... m-scratch/

The only difference is I used IRF510 instead of BS170.

I build it and it works ok. But then I decided to measure voltage at the MOSFET and it reads
D to ground- ~7.5V
G to ground - ~0.7V
S to ground- ~1.7V

And it is very strange I know it should be something about D -8V,G-3Vand S-1V respectively. But anyway how it even works with gate having lower voltage than source?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Hi, guit... welcome on board!
Have you searched in the forum?
Various threads about SHO and related "erection" problems! :thumbsup
The search function is your friend...

guitarist1977
Information

Post by guitarist1977 »

Hi Duckman,

Thanks for the tip. And I actually used the search before posted my problem. But I found nothing related to the issue I have.

Thanks.

Alex.

guitarist1977
Information

Post by guitarist1977 »

I guess I found the problem. There is nothing wrong with the schematic. I just can't measure voltage at the gate with the ordinary multimeter because I use 10M resistors. Basically in this case multimeter gives me wrong readings.

EDIT: Just checked multimeter specs, it has 1M input impedance. When measuring gate voltage I basically put 1M resistor in parallel with the 10M gate to ground resistor which moves the bias. I simulated it in LTSpice and got the same results as from multimeter.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

An obvious point, but... BS170 pinout is DGS and IRF510 is GDS... did you check that?

guitarist1977
Information

Post by guitarist1977 »

Thanks for suggestions. In fact my schematic worked in a first place. I was just concerned about multimeter's readings. But now that solved.