Best tool for putting a hole in an enclosure?

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

Hey

I just modded my CryBaby and would like to make some pots externally accessible. I've got just a mediocre 14V Black and Decker power hand drill, so I anticipate purchasing a new tool to use for this (can't imagine that hand drill is going to be ideal for this for a few reasons).

The question is, if you were going to buy a new tool for drilling into enclosures, what would be your pick? I imagine a drill press would be best, but ideally something smaller than that.

tasteless
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tasteless »

In hindsight , Buying My little drill press was one the smartest moves I've ever made.
I think it's 1/3 or 1/2 hp , 5- speed and cost about $150
I use it for all manner of tasks ( Other than stompbox related ).

The problem with drilling a Crybaby is the angled sides ( A press with an adjustable base plate can deal with this ).
A good clamp is essential.

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

Really, eh?

I was looking at grabbing a dremel, but that's not so much more. Has anyone here tried using a Dremel for this or am I over thinking things and should just get a drill press?

microsynth
Information

Post by microsynth »

I use a vise and an ancient .5hp hand drill. It cut right through the crybaby chassis I was working on last month.

fuzzfiend
Information

Post by fuzzfiend »

I use an old Craftman drill stand like this one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-duty-Cra ... 35c507f116

You just secure your hand drill in it and voila- Instant drill press! I've read mixed reports about new ones, but old ones are usually available pretty cheap on da 'bay.

Also, I use a stepped drill bit (Unibit) for all my boxes. Best invention EVER!

FF
Q: How many bluegrass musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Three. One to change the bulb and two to complain that it's electric.

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

How much power do I need? Is 0.5 HP necessary or would a 1/4 HP press do the job?

davent
Information

Post by davent »

For a hole in a wah shell all you need is a centre punch and a hammer...

but... you should get a cleaner hole with a drillpress, all you really need is a small benchtop version and once you spring for one you'll wonder how you ever got along without one, invaluable.
dave

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

There are a couple of used presses in the $30-$75 range in my area, so that's extremely affordable, but they all appear to be only 1/4 horsepower. I could spend about $150 to buy a 1/2 horsepower model new, but if I can save a hundred bucks, obviously I'm going to.

I'm definitely going to only consider models with a tilting table so that can drill into things like wah enclosures safely, but the amount of power required is something I'm very curious about.

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

Actually, nuts to this. I'm buying this:
http://m.canadiantire.ca/mt/www.canadia ... t_redirect

It's $90 today, it has a 4.1 amp motor, which at 110V means definitely north of 1/2 horsepower (assuming we're using the 746W electric motor equals 1 horsepower definition), it's got a laser which will help because I'm a newb, and because of the sale I'll be able to sell it for what I paid to buy it if I need to upgrade.

It's the same price this model is selling for used in my area anyways.

tasteless
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tasteless »

Good Find !
That looks sort of like mine ( Well - nicer , actually ! ).
Power shouldn't cause too much concern unless You're planning on drilling steel ( or iron , or stone....etc ).
Cast stompboxes ( inc. Crybabys ) are pretty soft really.
It does'nt take long to learn when You've got it set to the wrong speed for any given task , And it's surprising how much 'feel' You get from a tool thats doing all the work.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

fuzzfiend wrote:Also, I use a stepped drill bit (Unibit) for all my boxes. Best invention EVER!
+1! Get one of those and have an easier life!

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

Definitely picking up a stepped bit on my lunch break today.

How fast should I have this thing set for drill enclosures? It's on medium speed right now, I think that's about 1600 rpm. Top speed is 3100 or so. The speed adjustment is full manual, I have to open the top and move a drive belt, so if 1600 is way low of way high, let's save me a bit of work and let me know so I can just change that ahead of time.

tasteless
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tasteless »

That's a good question - And , If I could read the smudgy texta marks that I put on the side of My machine , I could tell You.
Seriously though ,1600 sounds about right , I'm running mine at either 1200 or 1750 ( Oh , and it is just a 1/3 hp ) , Seem to have misplaced the manual aswell. :oops:

I have'nt tried the unibit ( yet ! ) But , All the folk that have them , Sure speak highly of them.

bugg
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Twin

Post by bugg »

Duckman wrote:
fuzzfiend wrote:Also, I use a stepped drill bit (Unibit) for all my boxes. Best invention EVER!
+1! Get one of those and have an easier life!
+2! I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight for around 9 bucks, I've drilled several enclosures AND installed a doorknob and they're
still going strong. :D

I generally use a hand drill with the unibits but I drill pilot holes with the drill press (for accuracy).

gjcamann
Information

Post by gjcamann »

Have you checked Harbor Freight? Their cheep, but usually get the job done. If you can't get one with a tilting table, it probably isn't too hard to make a jig out of wood to give you the angle you need.