Hinged Pedal Enclosures

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
Rixen
Information

Post by Rixen »

Hi,

I would like to introduce a new enclosure:

http://www.rixenpedals.com

The Rixen effects pedal enclosure is designed specifically for enthusiast or professional effects pedal builders.
Features solid die-cast aluminium construction, large hinged pedal (activating a 4PDT switch with gold plated contacts for true bypass) and integral battery compartment (accessible from the top, and without using tools ! ).

Kit includes:

1x 4PDT latching switch, gold contacts
1x Body
1x Pedal
1x Bottom Cover
4x Feet
1x Pedal Pad
1x Spring
14 x Metric 3mm x 5mm screws (Zinc plated steel, Pan-pozi) (Includes one spare screw)
2x Small neoprene foam pads to cushion pedal motion
2x Large neoprene foam pads to secure battery
1x Holdback clip (holds pedal closed)
2x High tensile steel hinge pins (hinge component, fitted to pedal)
2x Nylon bushes (hinge component, fitted to body)

Length: 139.5 mm ( ~5.5" )
Width: 89.5 mm ( ~3.52" )
Height: 69 mm ( ~2.72" )

(Boss Pedal = 125.5mm x 70mm x 55.5mm)

- PCB mounting bosses for two layers of circuit board
- Dimpled hole centres for fast, accurate drilling of holes for front panel components. (6mm centres, with one extra column dead centre)

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

welcome to the forum rixen.. I think you'd get a lot more interest here if you posted the internal shots I saw over at six string samurai.. the mounting posts and switching mechanism were pretty damn cool.. that's the sorta shit that fsb doods love.. smart engineering.

:thumbsup
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Nice boxes, but about 8X what I pay for diecast boxes. Shipping to Europe is also extortionate. They're also rather small inside.....

I'll stick with my powder-coated Hammond and Eddystone boxes.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Very cool idea, really nice looking execution, but I can't help think mic is right about the price. I can see how this is neccessary to make it profitable whilst recouping investment and allowing for the predicted (relatively slow) rate of sale, but I would only be able to justify splashing out on one of these for a personal-use pedal where I didn't care about the cost, or if someone was paying me silly money for a one-off build. I can't really see how commercial pedal builders could buy these unless there's a hefty discount for bulk.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Rixen
Information

Post by Rixen »

Thanks Rocklander, here's the internal shots you mention, and the battery access.

The hole centres you can see in the vid mean you can drill accurate front panel holes, no marking out, with an electric hand drill (pilot hole is a good idea though)..

These are pretty rough videos, but they demonstrate that this is more than a simple box..

JudgeMingus
Information
Completed builds: JH-1 renovation with mods for crisper tone
Tuner/Mute box with loop reverser (for Gilmour 'seagulls' wah effect)
Si Fuzz Face clone
Rat clone
Tonepad Rebote 2.5 echo
Phase 90 clone
MXR noise gate clone
Runoffgroove Professor Tweed
Distortion+ clone
OD250 clone
Fuzz Central Liquid Drive
MXR DynaComp clone
Orange Squeezer clone
Demeter Compulator clone
Skreddy Lunar Module clone
Dual-output buffers (derived from AMZ Super Buffer)
Several more under way!

Post by JudgeMingus »

Your enclosures look brilliant, and you have obviously put a lot of thought into the design!

Like most posters so far, I am not sure I can justify spending so much for an enclosure and switch when I would normally get both for $10 - $15, but the cost does seem justified for such a complex item in low volumes.
If I were doing volume production, and you provide volume discount, it might be a different story.

I might recommend one of these to the client when doing a custom build, too - especially for someone who tends to stamp all over their pedals and damage knobs etc on standard rectangular boxes.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Mictester and Nocentelli bring up the matter that was my first thought as well. While it may be something Rixen can't do too much about w.o. losing money the arguments are still valid. Therefore the way of responding to critical questions , (not), alone is a reason not to opt for these boxes.

However,
I'm very interested in the boxes Mictester uses. The fact that he pays some 5usd for a box is nice for him but I have a hard time believing these are in any way comparable to the boxes Rixen posts here. Like comparing a Fiat to a Mercedes.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

I agree on all counts.. I'm in NZ and still am too much a cheap bugger to invest in one of these, but I also can appreciate the engineering.. they're bloody cool boxes.

wrt the extortionate prices for shipping to europe... you're quite correct. the price is outrageous.. and the price we pay from NZ. srsly.. it's insanely expensive to use any of the available shipping options ex NZ.
I'm consistently astonished at how cheap shipping from the UK (and on top of that how lightning fast it is) via royal mail when I buy guff off ebay.. it's just second to none.
I recently purchased a laptop at a local store. they had none of the model I bought in store so they had to get one in from a store in another town (1.5 hour drive). the next day I bought a laptop stand off ebay.
the laptop stand managed to go from UK (birmingham to london) to NZ (auckland, then rotorua - 3.5 hours apart) to my work faster than the laptop could from the store 1.5 hours away.

we get SO shafted wrt shipping in NZ. :x
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

rocklander wrote:I'm consistently astonished at how cheap shipping from the UK (and on top of that how lightning fast it is) via royal mail when I buy guff off ebay.. it's just second to none.
OFF-TOPIC
here in the UK, the govt has just confirmed they are going to sell-off the Royal Mail - I imagine the service will be even better when it's privatised :roll:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... weeks.html
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Rixen
Information

Post by Rixen »

Yes Dirk_Hendrick, there is not much reduction in price that can be done before losing money.

I made the decision to have them made locally in New Zealand, rather than outsourcing to a low labour cost / low environmental compliance country where I would have little control over quality issues.

The shipping is charged at cost, I can ship via surface which is $ 1 to $ 2 cheaper, but 4 weeks longer (!) :shock:

Those interested in more than 5 enclosures can expect to obtain a 10% discount, and reduced shipping.

I hope to have 6 and 12 pack size pricing up on the website soon.

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:However,
I'm very interested in the boxes Mictester uses. The fact that he pays some 5usd for a box is nice for him but I have a hard time believing these are in any way comparable to the boxes Rixen posts here. Like comparing a Fiat to a Mercedes.
There's quality comparison issue to be had where mictester is probably talking about an unpainted Hammond box, where Rixen's stuff is painted. Looking it up, and not counting volume discount, i see that PPP sells an finished 1590BB for $11.45 so the price difference is then ~4X. If I remember right, though, ive seen mictester underestimate the cost of parts before when making a point.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Awesome job Rixen! These are cool!

The price is right on these, everybody's just being a cheap bastard. You can't really compare these to Hammonds and the ultimate biggest pile of shit New Sensor boxes. :roll: Not every DIY build has to be done for lowest cost possible.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I'm going to agree with Phibes on this one. Price is reasonable for DIY personal builds for fun. Box + guts will probably still be less than the usual Boss pedal and way less than a bootweek swirly paint pedal in a junk NSC box, so why complain?
Oh, the high price cuts into your resale profit margin. Boo-hoo! :roll:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Cute

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

BTW, I was trying to start making MKII Professional enclosures ones, and the price for the form killed my dreams instantly. These (the injection molding forms) are expensive, the costing is just insane, so I do understand the price
Dirk_Hendrik wrote: However,
I'm very interested in the boxes Mictester uses.
These are green :) Good internal attention to detail as well, I was amazed with Chris's wiring skills - also how friendly in personal contact Chris is

Rixen
Information

Post by Rixen »

yep, and the mold for diecasting typically won't leave you much change from $100k !

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Rixen wrote:yep, and the mold for diecasting typically won't leave you much change from $100k !
Dude, start making Tonebender enclosure's, you'll become instantly rich :)

Any other future enclosure plans? A wah wah maybe?

Rixen
Information

Post by Rixen »

although I'd love to have a few more options, the set-up cost is a bit prohibitive. For now I want to increase the colour range available (any suggestions, people ?) and work on getting the price down...

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Rixen wrote:although I'd love to have a few more options, the set-up cost is a bit prohibitive. For now I want to increase the colour range available (any suggestions, people ?) and work on getting the price down...
Grey - these always catch my eye

And pink - that's for Phibes (he's gey)

...get one in green, I will give it to my bud Mictester when I see him

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Rixen wrote:although I'd love to have a few more options, the set-up cost is a bit prohibitive. For now I want to increase the colour range available (any suggestions, people ?) and work on getting the price down...
Have you not thought of getting a powder coating kit, very cheap and you could do many different colours which should help you keep production costs down.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?