Washburn - AF4 Flanger  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
gtrgeo
Information
my favorite amplifier: My Blues Deluxe
Completed builds: Anderton TSF, ROG 3LD, booster, Bluesbreaker, Guv'nor, Cherry Buster (buffer-boost)

Post by gtrgeo »

The Gig flanger looks very similar to the Washburn A-F4 flanger. I bought this one new around '85. The flanger was rather weak sounding but didn't really know any better when I bought it. A while later I noticed that the manufacturer was using the mechanical connection between the pots and the box as a ground path and identified this as a weak link. Running a separate ground to the pots made the controls actually work. I will dig up the gut shots I have as well as the little instruction manual that came with it if anyone is interested.

George
image.jpg

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Followed the effectsdatabase link a few posts up already? ;) The same link is there.

As well,
Yes please for the guts. Quite a lot of seemingly related pedals happen to be ... not that related.. on the inside.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

gtrgeo
Information
Completed builds: Anderton TSF, ROG 3LD, booster, Bluesbreaker, Guv'nor, Cherry Buster (buffer-boost)

Post by gtrgeo »

Dirk - yes i have been to the site before. I knew there were other brands related to the Washburn pedals. I wasnt familiar with the "Gig" brand.

Here is the instruction manual. Like most pedals very brief, basicly a small two sided brochure folded in half.
Cover
Cover
General
General
Controls
Controls
Specs
Specs
Looks like the gut shots i had are on a portable hard drive and i can't get to them with the iPad. I will take some more and post later.

George

gtrgeo
Information

Post by gtrgeo »

Well i decided to open it up and take a few shots. Let me know if you would like to see any more detail or specific parts.
Board front
Board front
Board back
Board back
Guts
Guts

gtrgeo
Information

Post by gtrgeo »

Just for the heck of it. Here is another Washburn flanger that was given to me as part of another pedal purchase. This one is a little newer and the box is bigger. Of the two i like the A-F4 better; the fx:4 is more subtle.
Front
Front
Board front
Board front
Board back
Board back

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal