Walrus Audio - Mayflower  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Just realized I accidentally placed the +9V tap at the +4.5V tap. Anyone reading it should realize the error pretty quickly.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Here's the schem for anyone who wants to fix it. Not worth anymore effort though, IMO.
Attachments
Mayflower.sch
(125.32 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

Motter
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Motter »

Pardon the newb question, and maybe this isn't the place to ask it, but can anyone explain the benefit of the buffered power supply? Is it less noisy?

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

Here are some reasons to use a follower for a reference supply:
-Its stiff. Really stiff, without sacrificing current consumption due to low value resistors.
-Higher value resistors can be used, since the follower is doing the heavy lifting. That can mean lower current consumption (a balance between what the follower draws and what the simple divider draws).
-Higher value resistors mean lower value capacitors, which in this case have been negated. Don't ask why. I didn't design it.
-Its isolated from the rails. This means you can slam it with (relatively) huge signals and currents without causing the same disruptions in other sections of the circuit. There are limitations here, of course...
-A closer approximation to linear operation can be achieved as a result of the isolation. Think about it. You'll see it.
-Its confusing! Makes people stop and ask why, and anytime that happens, I'd say you've got a winner on your hands.
:applause:
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Low impedance out too, so less susceptible to external noise interference, and less voltage drop under operation. I use them on occasion when I need a bias supply for several devices.

newly
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by newly »

mmolteratx wrote:Just realized I accidentally placed the +9V tap at the +4.5V tap. Anyone reading it should realize the error pretty quickly.
So all "+9V" should connected to "V+" instead right? VB remain as 4.5V.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

Jack Deville wrote:Here are some reasons to use a follower for a reference supply:
-Its stiff. Really stiff, without sacrificing current consumption due to low value resistors.
-Higher value resistors can be used, since the follower is doing the heavy lifting. That can mean lower current consumption (a balance between what the follower draws and what the simple divider draws).
-Higher value resistors mean lower value capacitors, which in this case have been negated. Don't ask why. I didn't design it.
-Its isolated from the rails. This means you can slam it with (relatively) huge signals and currents without causing the same disruptions in other sections of the circuit. There are limitations here, of course...
-A closer approximation to linear operation can be achieved as a result of the isolation. Think about it. You'll see it.
-Its confusing! Makes people stop and ask why, and anytime that happens, I'd say you've got a winner on your hands.
:applause:
Thanks for the informative reply! :) Just out of curiosity, would the results be the same with a BJT or JFET buffer?
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

newly wrote:
mmolteratx wrote:Just realized I accidentally placed the +9V tap at the +4.5V tap. Anyone reading it should realize the error pretty quickly.
So all "+9V" should connected to "V+" instead right? VB remain as 4.5V.
Yes.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

After being hit up by IVIark to see if I had done any more work on this, I cleaned up the schem and did a quick retrace. The original doesn't really do anything with the unused op amp half, but I included it tied to Vr, which is better practice. Result is attached.
Attachments
Mayflower.png

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Here's the vero

and one with a standard voltage divider for vref, doing away with the second opamp. I'm not convinced it will make a difference in something like this, and so would prefer to save the space.

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

MilesXC
Information

Post by MilesXC »

Only got 1uf electros lying around. Can anyone help tell me which way round they should go until I get replacements?

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

hey Miles
You can make a quick and dirty 1u nonpolar wannabe capacitor by tying together the negatives of 2 1u electro
then solder positive leg to board

MilesXC
Information

Post by MilesXC »

So I just have two together with the positives on the board?
+--+
That's great, thank you : )

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

yes :thumbsup

Blitz Krieg
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Blitz Krieg »

^^^^ 2 uf?

MilesXC
Information

Post by MilesXC »

I think it would only be 2uf if they were wired in parallel : )

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

287m wrote:hey Miles
You can make a quick and dirty 1u nonpolar wannabe capacitor by tying together the negatives of 2 1u electro
No! Capacitances in series adds up like resistances do in parallel. 2*1µF in series would effectively give you 0.5µF.
To get 1µF you'll need two 2µF caps in series ;)
---

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

C7 into the volume pot has a -3dB point of 16Hz! You could easily use 470n for the 1u caps in the audio path with no significant change in the (audible) frequency response. You could put two 470n caps in parallel for the "Bass" cap....
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

Blitz Krieg wrote:^^^^ 2 uf?
no, two 1 uF polarized (+-) wired in series like +--+ , still 1uF
grrrunge wrote:
287m wrote:hey Miles
No! Capacitances in series adds up like resistances do in parallel. 2*1µF in series would effectively give you 0.5µF.
To get 1µF you'll need two 2µF caps in series ;)
normally, you right.
normal elco actually conduct in the reverse direction, two 1uF polarized act like they each have a diode in parallel with them that conducts when the voltage is backwards for that one cap.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Where did you learn that? I have never seen any diodes in the equivalent diagram for electrolytics. Only capacitance, inductance and resistances.
As far as i know, the only reason electrolytics are polarised devices, is because improper DC-bias will break down the dielectric layer.
---