MXR - Smart Gate

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Ok here is the reason why I don´t like bootweak pedals... because most of the time there are only a few components inside. This can´t be said about the MXR Smart-Gate:

img126.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0675my1.jpg
img127.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0676dg1.jpg
img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0677zu8.jpg

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

I have the same pedal with the same blown resistor (100 ohm). Are these your pics?

I already replaced the electrolytic and the diode and the 100 ohm resistor and every time I plug in the input cable, the resistor blows up :(

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

oscarv77 wrote:I have the same pedal with the same blown resistor (100 ohm). Are these your pics?
No I found them by chance while searching for something different...
I already replaced the electrolytic and the diode and the 100 ohm resistor and every time I plug in the input cable, the resistor blows up :(
I will have a look at the stuff what can be the reason....
Maybe I need some additional infos... let´s see.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Stephengiles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stephengiles »

Is there a schematic for this? Is there, is there? :roll:

oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

Stephengiles wrote:Is there a schematic for this? Is there, is there? :roll:
Nope, not as far as I know... I searched and searched and even contacted MXR, but all I got was the resistor value (since mine was a lump of carbon)

It uses readily available part values, but if there was a full-size component layout, it would have to fit in a rack or a huge box.

oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

In cleaning the bench today, I ran across the pedal again, so I did what everyone would do; I took it home and took some pics. I've zipped them up and they are available here: http://val-tone.com/MXR_Smart_Gate.zip

It will be virtually impossible to trace since it's all surface mount components, but if anyone is up to it, I would be more than willing to provide more shots, part values, etc.

So? anyone up for a challenge?

Supafuzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Supafuzz »

analogguru wrote:Ok here is the reason why I don´t like bootweak pedals... because most of the time there are only a few components inside.
analogguru
Ingenuity is in simplicity, don't you think?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Supafuzz wrote:
analogguru wrote:Ok here is the reason why I don´t like bootweak pedals... because most of the time there are only a few components inside.
analogguru
No, not if it is getting to simple..... finally the car you like to drive also has a motor and a brake-system ?

analogguru

Supafuzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Supafuzz »

analogguru wrote:
Supafuzz wrote:
analogguru
No, not if it is getting to simple..... finally the car you like to drive also has a motor and a brake-system ?

analogguru
Brakes are unnecessary. I replaced accelerator pedal with a 2 position switch: pedal to the metal or idle. Simple and works like a charm. Gooped it too.

Perhaps this gate schematic will meet your expectations for adequate number of components. Patents have expired, it's public domain now. Do it in SMT and it should fit in a standard stomp box.

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vintage Twins

Post by Brian M »

Supafuzz wrote:
analogguru wrote:
Supafuzz wrote:
analogguru

analogguru
Brakes are unnecessary. I replaced accelerator pedal with a 2 position switch: pedal to the metal or idle. Simple and works like a charm. Gooped it too.

Perhaps this gate schematic will meet your expectations for adequate number of components. Patents have expired, it's public domain now. Do it in SMT and it should fit in a standard stomp box.
considering half that circuit is for driving a meter, i think you could safely omit that in pedal form.

Supafuzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Supafuzz »

Brian M wrote:
considering half that circuit is for driving a meter, i think you could safely omit that in pedal form.
Why lose the meter? I thought it was established long ago that without visual indicators a majority of guitarists can't hear whether a device is activated or not. :twisted: This one uses gas discharge lamps instead of LEDs, looks very cool :mrgreen:

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

Supafuzz wrote:
Brian M wrote:
Why lose the meter? I thought it was established long ago that without visual indicators a majority of guitarists can't hear whether a device is activated or not. :twisted: This one uses gas discharge lamps instead of LEDs, looks very cool :mrgreen:
does that add better tone that blue LED's :hmmm:

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Supafuzz wrote:
analogguru
Not always. The swamp thang of which I posted the schamatic a week ago has it's weakness in it's simplicity. It pops, is not suted for a reliable pedal form etc etc.

oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

kugua wrote:http://val-tone.com/MXR_Smart_Gate.zip,I CANnot download it.do you have BOSS ns2 or other noise gate?take some pics ?

New link: http://rapidshare.com/files/98814904/MX ... e.zip.html

Brian M
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Brian M »

I've owned plenty of gear that wasn't simple, that sounded pretty horrid... ADA MP-1 anybody?

I've never used the smart gate, but the PCB layout, and basic lay out of the pedal is beautiful. Still not a big fan of the way they mouth (or not mount) their power jacks... Unfortunately, a lot of the new MXR pedals are good ideas, but executed poorly. the blue box being a good example. is unity volume too much to ask when the volume is all the way up? The new phase 90's distort with way lower input levels than the older ones. Neat and tidy layouts are great, but ultimately mean little when it comes to a product being useful.