Behringer - FX600 Multi FX & Digital Reverb  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

I just came across these Behringer Fx600 multifx pedals for £23.50 and wondered if anyone knows what dsp is inside them. Looking at the controls and stuff it looks possibly like it could be an FV-1 based fx. Amazingly cheap.

Have any of you came across any gut shots of this pedal ?

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-P ... 76c93193e3
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

I doubt it's an FV-1; probably something a bit more hardcore.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:I doubt it's an FV-1; probably something a bit more hardcore.
Most likely not FV-1 but I have just looked on you tube and it sounds similar to the EH holystain, which is FV-1 based. I don't know at that price I might just have to buy one and rip it to bits. :hmmm:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

It *could* be an FV-1. If they programmed all those effects custom and then used a microcontroller to swap programs, it would be totally doable. I think.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

culturejam wrote:It *could* be an FV-1. If they programmed all those effects custom and then used a microcontroller to swap programs, it would be totally doable. I think.
I'm not too convinced on that, loooking at the pedal and the sound clips, theres no microcontroller to change patches and the effects sound jut like the onboard fv-1 patches. The onlt thing that throws me is that if it is ann Fv-1 the reverb has been ignored.

bollocks I have a few pedals stacking up for reversal (TC dark matter and AMT P1 5150) but at £25ish quid I will get one anyway to check out.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

culturejam wrote:It *could* be an FV-1. If they programmed all those effects custom and then used a microcontroller to swap programs, it would be totally doable. I think.
I agree it could, but the FV1 is not a cheap part, and behringer must have the algorithms and infrastructure to work more cheaply in another platform.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:I agree it could, but the FV1 is not a cheap part
If you buy them 10k at a time, I'll bet they get cheaper. I think they use it in multiple pedals, so maybe they are leveraging volume?

The Spin ain't cheap, but it's not so bad when you consider that most other options require an external AD/DA.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

culturejam wrote:
Hides-His-Eyes wrote:I agree it could, but the FV1 is not a cheap part
If you buy them 10k at a time, I'll bet they get cheaper. I think they use it in multiple pedals, so maybe they are leveraging volume?

The Spin ain't cheap, but it's not so bad when you consider that most other options require an external AD/DA.
I agree on both ideas. Behringer make loads of cheap stuff and all there mixing desks have DSP processing so they probabaly use one of the chips they use in other equipment which they will have 100k's of them.

If it is based on an FV-1 (I doubt it now) or some other propriatary chip then at £25ish it could make a good base for modding.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

This one is quite a bit cheaper than the US600, but I have one of those that I took pics of. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8175&p=145390&hilit=us600#p145390 JiM also had one of the pedals, I think it was a bass pedal, but it had much of the same major components, minus the ram. I think the US600 sells for ~$50 usd and the FX600 is only ~$30 usd. So this info may be useless...

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Ahh, so maybe the FX600 is using the same Freescale IC as the others.

scoop
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by scoop »

My roommate has that exact pedal! It says fx100 not fx600, but it has all the same controls. My workspace is pretty messy right now but I'm curious, I'll make some pictures of the gut shots tomorrow

On a side note, the actual effects this pedal has are comical, I don't mean as an "analog is better than digital" attitude, it's just that the effects are truly funny, apart from the delay, everything is super extreme

scoop
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by scoop »

Oh, and what is it I should be looking for though? Im new to digital pedals. It just occurred to me I have no idea what I'll be looking at. Is it the hopes that if it has this fv-1, that it would be possible to load up some custom effects on the pedal?

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

At this point it's just curiosity. See what you can read off the larger ICs.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Yes just curiosity to see what chip is responsible for the effects, if it was an FV-1 then it could open up possibilities to make the pedal quite good, but I do doubt that now.
I have bought one anyway so it should arrive on monday.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

The postman just delivered the Behringer fx600 multi fx, First thing I did was whip it to bits to look at the pcb. The fx600 is exactly the same pedal as the fx100 reverb, same layout same components, everything is the same. So it is only the eeprom contents that has the effects in that will differ. The chip is a Coolaudio V1000.
There is a row of pins on the edge of the pcb next to the atmel, so it could easily be reprogrammed to use any suitable code.

I have heard many people complain about this being a poor sounding effect, but in all honestly it's ok.

I will get a few pictures when I get my camera out.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Ahh, right, the V1000. I forgot they used that one in multiple units. :slap:

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

Ke, me no understand

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Ice-9 »

I haven't got a clue to what my last post was meant to mean !!!!! maybe i posted that to the wrong thread ?

anyway here is a photo of the FX600 top side. its exactly the same as the fx100 reverb effect, so I presume there are a few pedals the same with just different eeproms for theh fx.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

[smilie=a_cookiemonster.gif]
Attachments
DR600.pdf
Behringer FX600 Digital Reverb - Multi FX schematic
(81.82 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal