a tube box on 9V

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
kaya112
Information

Post by kaya112 »

this is a tube box my first make

kaya112
Information

Post by kaya112 »

kaya112
Information

Post by kaya112 »

PCB :P :P :P :P :P

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

what is it, and what does it do?
got schematic?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Big boot waiting for encounter!!
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

kaya112
Information

Post by kaya112 »

schematic

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Just a quick question: You are using 9v to supply tube heaters? It's a little bit under the specified voltage (12.6 between pin 4 and 5) - you could use 12v to supply the whole pedal and get more headroom and also you will be within the specs for the heaters.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Looks like the schematic is based on the Valvecaster....... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Below what we call a building drawing.
The Schematic looks like this:

Note the differences. The building diagram is handy for building the thing, even if you do not know what it does. The schematic is to understand what is going on.

(Thanks Simon, Valvecaster confirmed)

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Ok ... but again... wouldn't be more convenient to use a 12V supply then a 9V? ?

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Most definitely.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I agree Darkrain, 9V would mean that the cathodes of the valve aren't able to reach their full electron-emission capabilities, also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you run a valve at a lower heater voltage, it can lead to something called "Cathode Poisoning", incidentaly, I tried building a Valvecaster but it didn't work well and hummed alot..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

copachino
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by copachino »

DrNomis wrote:I agree Darkrain, 9V would mean that the cathodes of the valve aren't able to reach their full electron-emission capabilities, also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you run a valve at a lower heater voltage, it can lead to something called "Cathode Poisoning", incidentaly, I tried building a Valvecaster but it didn't work well and hummed alot..... :thumbsup

what about 18VDC??

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

copachino wrote:
DrNomis wrote:I agree Darkrain, 9V would mean that the cathodes of the valve aren't able to reach their full electron-emission capabilities, also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you run a valve at a lower heater voltage, it can lead to something called "Cathode Poisoning", incidentaly, I tried building a Valvecaster but it didn't work well and hummed alot..... :thumbsup

what about 18VDC??
:) Well ... again why?! Standard voltage for heaters is: 6.3 or 12.6 so i choose 12.6 beacause:
1 i can supply the heaters with the same PSU
2 it's better the 6.3 in terms of voltage

Why to drop 3 volts or 5v on a resistor ... (@300 or 150mA it can get hot) when... you don't have to drop anything and use 12V as supply ...

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

copachino wrote:

what about 18VDC??

18V DC will burn-out the valve heater, unless you put a resistor in that'll drop about 6V (which means alot of power dissipation in the form of heat), once the heater burns-out the valve is useless...... :thumbsup

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

DrNomis wrote:
copachino wrote:

what about 18VDC??

18V DC will burn-out the valve heater, unless you put a resistor in that'll drop about 6V (which means alot of power dissipation in the form of heat), once the heater burns-out the valve is useless...... :thumbsup
how much current would it be drawing? would an lm7812 be the ticket?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

rocklander wrote:
DrNomis wrote:
copachino wrote:

what about 18VDC??

how much current would it be drawing? would an lm7812 be the ticket?
According to the DS it's 150mA per tube @ 12.6v that would be 18-12=6v dropout @ 150mA that would be 1W of power, a 7812 in a To220 package would be ok.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran

kaya112
Information

Post by kaya112 »

two tube box PCB

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Looking forward to the 4 tube version!

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Looking forward to the 4 tube version!
It would be a beautiful pedal to look at.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom