3PDT loop output to ground

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
vhollund
Information

Post by vhollund »

Hello
I'm dublicating my (bought) 2 loop TB box with led, to a smaller 1 loop without led box

1) In the circuit shown below, the send of the loop, is connected to ground when the loop is bypassed
Is it to avoid clicking/popping ?

2) The 2 looper has a stereo input jack
Does this only serve a purpose when connecting a led ?
or is there a "ground-issue", if I simply use a mono jack for my looper minus led
Attachments
2 looper.jpg
Vaughn Hollund

vhollund
Information

Post by vhollund »

Hello Again

So I did made the same connections as the 3PDT on the right
Except that no led is connected to the 7th pin
First I connected the outputs ground but it caused wierd fluctuations and suck outs

Now it works without that, but there is definitely a ground issue somewhere
If the pedal in the loop is on it works great, when turning of the pedal, the loop sounds like an antenna
Same goes for the bypass mode, if a pedal is on afterward it takes away the noise
I can't seem to figure out how that happens

Is there a groundloop i'm missing somewhere, by wiring it this way ?

I'm hoping someone knowledgable here can help me troubleshoot it
Maybe even before my gig tomorrow at 16:00 :blackeye
Vaughn Hollund

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

in that loop-box in the pic all ground connections are made through the box itself; are you using the same type of jacks (non-isolated) in your new loop-box?
if the jacks you're using are isolated you need to connect the ground tips with a wire
...please post a pic of your new box, so we can better help you

vhollund
Information

Post by vhollund »

Hi Intripped
All my jacks are standart isolated mono cables
Should i just desolder the sleves and let the box be the sole ground connection ?

only the input sleve is now connected to something, and only to the send sleve, when loop is bypassed
It does work but I have a huge buzz if the pedal in the (activated) loop is off,
which it won't be ofcourse but still...
+ I have a loud pop when switching
Attachments
2015-06-25 11.28.43.jpg
Vaughn Hollund

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

your jacks are non-isolated type

well it's not easy to understand your wiring from that pic...
from what i see you put the IN and OUT jacks on the top of the box, while SEND and RET are on the side, is it correct?

are you sure you've plugged the right jacks? i mean: guitar to IN, SEND to OUT of other pedal to RET, and OUT to the Amplifier? ...sometimes very silly mistakes happen

if everything looks correct but still it doesn't work, then you could take everything out of the box, run a ground wire between all the sleeves and try the loop outside the box - so you can avoid shorting problems: i see the jacks are very close to box.
also, referring to the last pic, the jack on the side is slightly deformed by those 2 little flanges in the box; this could cause shorting problems in the jack itself: file down those flanges, or the jack itself if possible.

vhollund
Information

Post by vhollund »

Hello Again

I solved the problem by connecting the Input sleeve with send sleeve, and the output sleeve with the return sleeve
Now there's no pop and no noise

Thanks !! 8)
Vaughn Hollund