Digital multimeters DMM: which one to buy?

Frequently asked questions about tools and instruments used in stompbox development.
JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Hmmm maybe I was mistaken, now I'm getting 9v on the top of D1 but only .3 on the bottom.

So I looked at the schematic and parts list which says that D1 is a 1N4001 but that's not what they gave me. I was given a 1N4007. Does that matter?

I have a few extra 1N4004 diodes sitting around so I tried one of those instead. Same problem. Except now I get 0 volts on the bottom of D1 and 9v on the top.

So then I switched it back to the original and now I get 9v on top but 0.8 volts on bottom.
Last edited by JVanDe7 on 31 Dec 2011, 17:02, edited 4 times in total.
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Also, I used some feature on my multimeter that I'm not familiar with - continuity maybe? I got 675 across the diode and 645 across the other diode. Not sure if that means they are good or not but thought it was worth mentioning. My multimeter is a cheap ass Craftsman one and has no diode tester.
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

Should I order a new diode? If so, should it be 1N4001 like the schematic says? Or 1N4007 like they sent me?

Also, shipping for one diode will likely be around $5-$8 so maybe I should just order another $10 kit instead? I have Amazon Prime so it's free shipping.

And just to confirm, the cathode (banded) end of D1 should be going to the + or - side of the 100uF cap? I have it going into the positive. The diode matches the PCB as far as orientation, but I guess what I'm asking is if I have the 100uF cap oriented properly?
― Hunter S. Thompson

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

If you are getting .3v on the bottom of the diode it looks like it could be the problem.

A 1N7007 will do fine, the last number is just how much reverse voltage it will stand before it starts to conduct like a zenner.

The continuity function on a meter that is something that I rarely use either. As far as I know the reading you get is the voltage across the leads. On mine with them open circuit I get 1505 (or thereabouts) short them together and it reads .001 and the beeper sounds.

I'm not sure what the readings you get mean, that is why I rarely use continuity. About the only thing I use it for is testing fuses as it beeps if they are good.

Don't knock cheap meters, I carry one in my gig bag that cost 99p, just over $1, and it does everything I want.

Just read your new post.

The cathode (banded end) should go to the capacitor. The capacitor should have the -ve stripe to the bottom.

The 10uF cap should have the -ve stripe towards the right, nearest the switch.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

It's cool man. I just stopped the shit out of it all over my kitchen floor. No worries. It's garbage now.

Thanks for trying to help. Have a great new year.
― Hunter S. Thompson

Dixie Guitars
Information

Post by Dixie Guitars »

Greetings,

I'm new here and also new to electronics.

I couldn't find a better forum to post this question...

I would like to ask seasoned electronics guys for a recommendation on a multimeter.

I searched a lot (amazon, ebay, allelectronics.com, etc...) and can't really find one that I think would cover all my future needs. I'm most concerned about having wide ranges on all measurements. I find some with a wide range for resistance but limited range for capacitance, when compared to some other ones, but those might have a more limited range on resistance, etc. Also, although I currently don't know how to use the feature, I would like to multimeter to also have testing for transistors. Basically, just so I don't have to buy a better one later.

Also, while learning to troubleshoot my microwave I saw a YouTube video where the guy shows a multimeter with resistance range up to 2,000M. I thought, might as well buy one like that, but I can't find any that have that range.

Any recommendations?

Thank you, all...

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30
Completed builds: Zvex Woolly Mammoth
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
Crowther Hotcake (and own variations)
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

BK Precision 2709Bhas the best quality / features ratio set you can get under $200... And it's only around $100.

Even Dave recommends it:

Dixie Guitars
Information

Post by Dixie Guitars »

Thank you for the recommendation.