Maestro - MFZ-1 ( Fuzz )( Norlin )

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
yeeshkul
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by yeeshkul »

I was gonna give a try to Maestro MFZ-1 clone. I mean the plastic-looking wedge-shaped fuzz with two big wheel-pots at its sides.

Guys has anyone built this one? Any idea about the trannies? Are they Ge or Si?
The circuit is not completely typical 60's fuzz cliche and makes me eager to try ... :)

schematics: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... rofuzz.pdf

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

I suspect the schematic you linked to may not be correct.

Maestro MFZ-1 Service Manual
The television will not be revolutionized.

yeeshkul
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by yeeshkul »

Man thanks a million for the manual.

So the right schema is probably this

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

yeeshkul wrote:Man thanks a million for the manual.

So the right schema is probably this
Yep, thats the one I posted on the other forum that is direct from the service manual. (Rotagilla posted the manual - you should download it for future reference.)

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

At Aron's forum someone made a version with some newer components that sounded awesome. I build one for a local guitar player that is still drooling over it.

I thought it was called hidrosis or something.
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Bernardduur wrote:At Aron's forum someone made a version with some newer components that sounded awesome. I build one for a local guitar player that is still drooling over it.

yep...its on my "need to build" list, but i havent had a chance yet.

the sound clips sounded really good.

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

MoreCowbell wrote:
Bernardduur wrote:At Aron's forum someone made a version with some newer components that sounded awesome. I build one for a local guitar player that is still drooling over it.

yep...its on my "need to build" list, but i havent had a chance yet.

the sound clips sounded really good.
It is really nice! Build it :)
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

An input impedance of 1Meg is quite high for a Vintage effect !!!

Good thing if you want to obtain a reproduceable sound wherever you put the pedal in the signal chain !!!
Patafix... so sticky

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

FIRST OFF, I am willing to pay you for your time so please read on...

Ok, I used to own a Maestro MFZ-1 fuzz. The big silver wedge with one wheel on each side (one for drive and one for volume). I got rid of it because it was delicate/old and while I dig vintage fuzz, I don't dig broken pedals.

ANYHOW, I have attached 2 very useful documents/pics, a schematic and a diagram of the manufacturers layout design.

I want to recreate this EXACT circuit (however imperfect it may be) because I want the exact tone I got from the original.

Can someone skilled (notice I said SKILLED, no disrespect meant) PLEASE produce a layout/diagram thingy so that I can etch it into some perfboard and make this dream come true?

I am handy with a soldering iron, but have very little experience with building/modding. FYI, I have modified a Crybaby for true bypass and removed its input buffer and swapped a few resistors to get the gain and volume where I wanted them. I have also built a Ge FuzzFace clone pedal kit from BYOC. This will be my first time starting from scratch.

The parts list is already included in the 2 attached documents so that part won't be hard. I would also appreciate any advice on how to maintain the original lo-fi vibe of this pedal (ie- use ceramic caps or what-have-you).

I am willing to PayPal some money for a job well done. Nothing too crazy, maybe 5 or 10 US dollars? You tell me what it's worth, as I don't know how much time is involved (never done this before).

PLEASE and THANK YOU.

PS. I have a PDF version of these files that is higher resolution.
Attachments
Maestro_MFZ-1_Fuzz2.jpg
Maestro_MFZ-1_Fuzz.jpg

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Wow, guys I really could use some help from one of you...

I posted on this site recently and desperately need someone to help me with a layout, as this is my first time building a pedal from scratch. I'm willing to pay someone for their time. I'm trying to re-create the EXACT circuit of this old MFZ-1 fuzz from Maestro.

Thanks!
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

JVanDe7 it's an easy enough circuit I'm surprised no one has already done a layout.
I would not take long to whip up a layout for a work a like using modern components but if you want to recreate the exact circuit with the exact components we would need some gut shots.

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

I see... well I don't have any gut shots. I think it would be fine to use modern components at this point. I found basically everything I need, except the OpAmp doesn't exist anymore so I'll probably use a TL072 instead (like Hidrosis). But everything else I want to be as close to the original as possible. Kinda weird but I am having a hard time finding a ceramic disc capacitor for the .01uf value, as I should be using 50V or close to that right?

A quick question, can I wire this for true bypass without altering the tone much? This schematic looks like it uses a SPST switch instead of a DPDT. When I converted a crybaby to true bypass it was easy enough but it was awhile ago so I don't recall the exact details. Don't you basically just connect 2 of the lugs with a small piece of wire more or less?

Yeah, the layout is basically there but I want someone to show me how they would etch the perfboard (signal path) and all that since this is my first time. I mean, is there just a ground going all around the perimeter usually?
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

....except the OpAmp doesn't exist anymore....
BS, SN72L022P is only the old stamping for a TL022P.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Why not help yourself and just build it on perfboard?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

oscarv77
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oscarv77 »

Are you taking into consideration that the pedal might not sound the same as the one you had because it's hard to clone something 100%. Electronic components have tolerances and values drift over time, so even if you were able to correctly match all the parts, chances are the sound will be close/approximate, but not 100% to what you remember.

Having said that, I would be more than willing to help you out, just keep in mind what I mentioned above.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

It already is true bypass!!!
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

analogguru wrote:
....except the OpAmp doesn't exist anymore....
BS, SN72L022P is only the old stamping for a TL022P.

analogguru
Where would I find a TL022P please? I googled and even tried TL022, but came up with nothing. I noticed there are TL022CP and other variations, will any of these work?

I really would like to use the exact same parts wherever possible. Thanks.

*UPDATE I bought a TL022CP from Mouser, can I use it?

Does this change the sound quality or tone of the pedal much? (swapping IC's?)

I bought the IC socket so at least swapping them will be easy and I can experiment to get it where I want it. IF I can get it working... :)
― Hunter S. Thompson

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

Understood. I just mean I want to try and get it as close as possible. No worries if it doesn't turn out.

Could you possibly draw up what the circuit path would look like? As if I was looking at the perfboard, so that it will be easier for me to transfer this circuit to the perfboard.

I will attach the type of file/diagram I am looking for, but it isn;t 100% correct because the author changed the circuit a bit. I am trying to use it as a guide or starting point. Maybe it will help? You could use it but change it so that it matches the actual circuit?
Attachments
Hidrosis PCB.JPG
Hidrosis PCB.JPG (28.64 KiB) Viewed 6248 times
Hidrosis Overlay.JPG
Hidrosis Overlay.JPG (52.94 KiB) Viewed 6255 times
― Hunter S. Thompson

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

I'm going to. I just haven't done anything like this before and I kinda don't know where to start. I ordered all the parts but once they get here, I just don't know where to begin. I guess I'll do some reading about veroboard/perfboard and how to use it. Any tips, advice, suggested reading?
― Hunter S. Thompson

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

TL 022CP is the correct one, uses the same chip.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.