stereo in, stereo out pedal design

Putting two effects in one box almost looks too easy, but you will save a lot of time reading the frequent questions before starting such a project...
snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Hello
I am willing to make a stereo in, stereo out pedal (for drum machines and mix buss processing).
I am wondering how to make the wiring in order to get one single power supply, proper grounding wiring, and a single bypass switch (with led, if possible).
Of course, i have already searched quite a lot some infos, but most of the advices i can find are for mono in / stereo out pedals (like some chorus, for instance).

So here are the questions I have :

1- POWERING IT
I have read about the need to have some proper decoupling , as i will use one single power supply to feed two effects.
- Is using a decoupling board mandatory ?
- I have made a veroboard from a schmeatic I have found, but i am still a rookie a converting schematics into layouts. Could anyone tell me if it is correct, please ?

2- GROUNDING
When wiring a "usual", single pedal, one need to wire all grounds together.
In this case, as there are two circuits, should I also wire every ground together, or should i wire all the grounds from circuit 1 toegether, and then all the grounds from circuit 1 toegether (I guess the answer is the former, but i can be wrong) ?

3-BYPASS SWITCH
I understand I cannot have a stereo effect and use a regular 3PDT.
I know i can use a single 4PDT, but i will not have a LED, right ?
I have also found that i can use a "Millenium Bypass", which would allow me to have stereo in / stereo out, as well as a bypass led indicator... Is it the way to go (it seems so) ?
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... ass-2.html
If so, is the 2k2 resistor in this layout the one i use to wire to the led's cathode (I think it is, but i would need confirmation) ? If so, and if i usually use a 4k7 resistor, i guess i would have to swap the 2k2 from the schematic for a 4k7, right ?
Also, if i am using a blue indicator led (instead of the regular red led), as the Blue LEDs tend to be brighter, should i increase the resistor value ?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Attachments
decoupling board.jpg

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Little daily bump :

- Is using a decoupling board mandatory ?
- Could anyone tell if the veroboard is correct?
- should I wire every ground (of both I/O and both effects) together, or should i wire all the grounds from circuit 1 together, and then all the grounds from circuit 1 together ?
- Is a 4PDT + Millenium bypass the easiest and best solution to get a bypass for a true stereo FX with bypass led indicator ?
- Is the 2k2 resistor on the Millenium bypass here to tame the led light (and, if so, can i replace it by a 4k7 resistor)?

Thank you in advance for your help,

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Bump :D
Does anyone know ? Are my questions too obvious ? Did i post in the wrong section of the forum ?

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

snk wrote: - Is using a decoupling board mandatory ?
Pretty much, in most cases.
snk wrote: - Could anyone tell if the veroboard is correct?
It is.
snk wrote: - should I wire every ground (of both I/O and both effects) together, or should i wire all the grounds from circuit 1 together, and then all the grounds from circuit 1 together ?
>should i wire all the grounds from circuit 1 together, and then all the grounds from circuit 1 together ?

You forgot to add that you should then wire gnd1 and gnd2 together.

Both ways are acceptable.
Just avoid making ground loops (even considering that in most cases it is more a precaution).
You also should avoid using your chassis ground as the one and only ground connection between in/out Jacks. Aluminium is prone to oxidizing and losing contact over time if not weld/soldered.
snk wrote: - Is a 4PDT + Millenium bypass the easiest and best solution to get a bypass for a true stereo FX with bypass led indicator ?
Easiest - yes
Best - not.

Best solution is to use two small signal relays (non-latching) and any latching switch.
snk wrote: - Is the 2k2 resistor on the Millenium bypass here to tame the led light (and, if so, can i replace it by a 4k7 resistor)?
It limits led current, you can use other value.

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Wonderful : perfect, comprehensive answer :thumbsup :D
Thank you very much, Plush !