Pete Cornish - TB-83 [goop-alarm]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Why would I purchase a second-hand one for $400 when I can purchase a brand new one for $300?
You can even purchase the "Extra" version with footswitchable bypass, etc... for less than the $450 BIN.

Looks like fun to repair.

ech0es
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ech0es »

soulsonic wrote:Why would I purchase a second-hand one for $400 when I can purchase a brand new one for $300?
You can even purchase the "Extra" version with footswitchable bypass, etc... for less than the $450 BIN.

Because you have to wait for 2 years to buy a brand new

I don't understand this topic: the photo gives none informations about the circuit, what's the goal to show that ?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

"WE BUILD EQUIPMENT FOR MUSICIANS TO MAKE MUSIC AND NOT FOR SPECULATORS TO MAKE MONEY"
We would like to take this opportunity to notify our customers that while there can be a considerable wait time for our Stand Alone Effects, it is by NO MEANS up to 3 years. The reason for the wait is that we accept each order individually and hand build the effect(s)
singly for each musician in the same manner and with the same attention to detail as with our stage systems.

The exaggerated wait time misinformation seems to have been deliberately spread by unscrupulous persons in order to ridiculously inflate the prices of our effects in order to make a profit using the Pete Cornish name.

If you are asked to pay an unreasonable amount over that reflected in the Stand Alone Effects price guide, listed within this site, this is excessive and way over the current retail price for new items.

Also please note that all claims that pedals are "New" should be investigated fully - the only truly new pedals are the ones sold by my dealers or direct from ourselves. All Stand Alone Pedals being sold by any other person, even if claiming to be a shop (other than our named dealers), should be treated as "used" or "second hand" and priced accordingly.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

ech0es wrote:
soulsonic wrote:Why would I purchase a second-hand one for $400 when I can purchase a brand new one for $300?

Because you have to wait for 2 years to buy a brand new

I don't understand this topic: the photo gives none informations about the circuit, what's the goal to show that ?
That you won´t get any information about the circuit when you (buy and) open such a unit - unless you degoop it. With this picture you can see the necessary amount of work to degoop it and you can make a better decision to buy it - or better save your money.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

Some guy on another forum opened up a P2 fuzz, and said the red goop stuff was just spray paint which scraped right off. Don't know about this black stuff though.

Krinkle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Krinkle »

Which forum? Where? Did he reverse engineer it?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

Krinkle wrote:Which forum? Where? Did he reverse engineer it?
Some gilmour related forum I think, can't quite remember where i saw it. He only opened it up and took some pics.

sopapo1
Information

Post by sopapo1 »

Finally :D in other forum:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... c=112790.0

this user has, at less partially, degoop a cornish tb83, and its look like its a greg fryer or covington fireplace
We dont know yet the specifics ( tranny, caps values etc) but in the end its look like we could have the whole thing easily...

d95err
Information

Post by d95err »

Greg Fryer gives a hint on the TB-83 (and his own boosters) on his blog in his design "Grand Poobah 3-in-1 booster" here:
https://fryerguitars.wordpress.com/pedals-tech/

sopapo1
Information

Post by sopapo1 »

Yes, its all very similar for what i have seen, the circuits of the covington, fryer and cornish (supposedly), the same values in all minus the input cap (the usual variation, insert your preference here), the strange low value resist of the output of the fryer ( 560) and the 120 k on the output of the fryer, covington vs the 47 k in the cornish..
The trannys are the usual interchageable suspects (bc182, bc239, bc549)....