Death by Audioo - Reverberation Machine

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
notnews32
Information

Post by notnews32 »

audioguy wrote:2 quick questions..
Has anyone got a source for the TLC27M4ALN? I've googled for a while and came up with just datasheets
Has anyone validated Storyboardists layout?
I think the vero misnamed the chip, it should be AiN, not ALN.. check Mouser or Ebay for that and you'll find it.

Has anyone successfully replaced the TLC27 with a TL074?

notnews32
Information

Post by notnews32 »

Hey guys, just bumping this up one more time to see if anyone replaced the AIN IC with another and had successful results. I read on Tagboard (I think) in one case a TL074 was used and things turned out well... was hoping I could get confirmation before I order the AiN IC.

Also have everything I need to set up the dual controls layout, 2 of each pot and a stomp to toggle between both the A and B settings.. so excited to get this going. Just got the long belton in the mail but forgot to order the AiN IC.

idy
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: FFs, Octavias, TBMKIIIs, Buzzarounds/alikes, Axis Fuzz', CS Overdriver, BMPs, Black '65s, MOSFETODs, WiiO, RAH, Klons, AC30, DLS, TSs and many variants, Small Clones, UniVibes, E. Mistress, Mutron Env Filter, Ross/Dynacomps,, EA Trems, TremLunes, Katana Boosters, BYOC Tri Boosters, other boosters and buffers, PT2399 delays, SKRM based delays, Belton Brick Reverbs, 3band parametric EQ,

Post by idy »

Read the first page of this thread. The distortion characteristics of this opamp are discussed vs the usual TL7x. It is where the lo-fi noisey stuff comes from. If you don't want that, you don't want this pedal.

fakcior
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fakcior »

What about TL274C?

Glass_Hero
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: My Glass Hero Amplification
Completed builds: 1973 Orange Graphic 120 head
Fender Champ clone head
custom Pentode input single channel 20 watt head
custom "plexi" 5 watt single ended head
custom Pentode input single channel ~2 watt combo (smaller version of my 20watt)
( i build amps and pedals )

pedal clones
Pro Co Rat
Univox SuperFuzz
Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive
Interfax Harmonic Percolator
EHX Electric Mistress
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Big Muff into a DBA Fuzz War
Green Ringer
Orange Squeeze
Boss Slow Gear
Death By Audio Sound SAW
Death By Audio Armageddon
Death By Audio Fuzz War
MXR Phase 90
EA Tremolo
TS 808
another TS808 modded out for bass
various loop, boost, kill, stutter, feedback and signal pad stompboxes

pedal modds
big muff clipping modds and internal feedback loops w/ LDRs
EHX POG exp pedal modd
VOX 847 wah modds (expression pedals should be expressive)
Cry Baby Modds
BOSS XT-2 modds

this list is tragically outdated..

Post by Glass_Hero »

fakcior wrote:What about TL274C?
thats what i used..

fakcior
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fakcior »

Glass_Hero wrote:
fakcior wrote:What about TL274C?
thats what i used..
Does it sound like an original, I mean Lo-Fi?

Addy Bart
Information
Completed builds: Shinei FY-2, D*A*M Meathead, Mid-Fi Electronics Deluxe Pitch Pirate, Clarinot, Demo Tape Fuzz, Random Number Generator, Wattson EFY-6, Smallsound/Bigsound Mini, DBA Reverberation Machine, Parasit Studio Raygun Youth, Vox Repeat Percussion, 1776 Multiplex Echo Machine, David Rolo Twin Peaks, Giant Hogweed, Devi Ever Soda Meiser, ZVEX Machine, SHO, Fat Fuzz Factory.

Post by Addy Bart »

The sunshine part of the circuit didn't sound right (it was far too subtle) so I tried swapping the 100k resistor there for lower values, eventually settling for 4k7. Give it a try if you have the same problem.

KoenT
Information

Post by KoenT »

I've been trying to add a buffered feedback/dwell to the reverberation but with no luck. I don't have enough knowledge about circuitry to do this probably. Did anybody else try this successfully? I don't want the feedback/dwell to be influenced by the gain or blend control. I am using the second last amz buffer (http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm), 2 of them with a level control in between.

odieux fonzie
Information

Post by odieux fonzie »

Hi Reverberation Machine Masters ! I'm new on this forum, hi ! to you all. I received a DBA Reverberation Machine for my last birthday (lucky me !)
I really like it, but I'd like to mod it so it can really become my main reverb.

1/ the pre-delay is too long, and un-adjustable.
Is it possible to mod the pedal so it can be controlled, adding a knob for example ?

2/ I hear a lot of modulation / chorus-like in the reverb.
Is it possible to control the amount of modulation ? Maybe it's just how it is inside the brick ?

Thank you all for your help, as I said, I really like the feel of this pedal, but I just need it to be a little more flexible... THANK YOU !!

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

odieux fonzie wrote:Hi Reverberation Machine Masters ! I'm new on this forum, hi ! to you all. I received a DBA Reverberation Machine for my last birthday (lucky me !)
I really like it, but I'd like to mod it so it can really become my main reverb.

1/ the pre-delay is too long, and un-adjustable.
Is it possible to mod the pedal so it can be controlled, adding a knob for example ?

2/ I hear a lot of modulation / chorus-like in the reverb.
Is it possible to control the amount of modulation ? Maybe it's just how it is inside the brick ?

Thank you all for your help, as I said, I really like the feel of this pedal, but I just need it to be a little more flexible... THANK YOU !!
Hi and welcome

1. No, build-in digital reverb block is not adjustable
2. There is also no modulation circuitry inside

You can make your own one and add some bells and whistles to it though.

odieux fonzie
Information

Post by odieux fonzie »

pre delay is fixed inside the belton brick ?

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

odieux fonzie wrote:pre delay is fixed inside the belton brick ?
Yep.
Even though there is no "pre-delay" at all.

odieux fonzie
Information

Post by odieux fonzie »

what do you mean by "there's no pre-delay at all" ?
Mine (official dba and unmodded) has a huge pre-delay. if you use a very wet setting, playing rythmic palm-muted stuff is impossible because of the pre-delay..

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

odieux fonzie wrote:what do you mean by "there's no pre-delay at all" ?
Mine (official dba and unmodded) has a huge pre-delay. if you use a very wet setting, playing rythmic palm-muted stuff is impossible because of the pre-delay..
Guess, I was talking about other thing - another delay stage, separate from the belton brick, that has it's own timings.

There is definitely some delay prior the reverb effect (which every reverb has), but it's not that special compared to, lets say, EQD's ghost echo where you have separate pt2399 in addition to belton reverb brick, that adds a lot.

Also there is a slight hint of clock/power modulation inside the brick, which becomes more noticeable at the end of repeats. Still can't tell if it was intended or not. Anyways, you can't control it.

odieux fonzie
Information

Post by odieux fonzie »

So I cannot do anything to upgrade the pedal... Too bad ! It's very close of being perfect for me...!
Thank you VERY MUCH for your answers, I really appreciate you took time to read and answer me. Have a nice one !

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

Great project, but very bassy, using or not the mud/distortion side of it...
I see the C12 with the Blend pot as a kind of low pass filtering...
Am I wrong?
I tested to cut off the pot terminal to ground and voilá, high frequency response is back!!!
Does anyone see a cure for this high frequency loss?