Lovepedal - Les Lius  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

looks like you're using a buttload of solder, and some of he joints look like they 'could' be dry (the ones on the stompswitch seem to be not as clean as some I've seen)... when you ran the knife through the tracks, did you also run it between the tracks you cut? I'd be looking there too .. on the solder side pic, the top right trace looks a likely candidate for a solder snot bridge to occur :)
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

HHR18
Information

Post by HHR18 »

Ok, I got it working, I stupidly soldered R2 on the 9V track to the ground track. I soldered it onto the 3rd track and it worked immediately. It sounds freaking' amazing! Great pedal!

Nicholas L
Information

Post by Nicholas L »

Hey guys. I finished building this today using the vero layout and it sounds great, but for some reason the boost doesn't do much that I can notice. Any ideas or suggestions?

marauder
Information

Post by marauder »

Nicholas L wrote:Hey guys. I finished building this today using the vero layout and it sounds great, but for some reason the boost doesn't do much that I can notice. Any ideas or suggestions?
Check the resistor on the pot goes between 1 and 3, and not 2 and 3. I had it wrong and the boost didnt do much.

Nicholas L
Information

Post by Nicholas L »

Should pin 1 and 2 be connected? Cause that's causing the resistor to connect pin 2 to 3?

I've got the resistor on pin 1 and 3, with a short on 1 and 2. Should I disconnect 1 and 2?

Nicholas L
Information

Post by Nicholas L »

I cut the connection between pin 1 and 2 and lo and behold it's all awesome :D :horsey:

marauder
Information

Post by marauder »

Nicholas L wrote:I cut the connection between pin 1 and 2 and lo and behold it's all awesome :D :horsey:
Beat me to it.

That's what I found too. I'm not sure if its right or wrong as I've never compared a real one, but it works.

crkva
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JTM45

Post by crkva »

method wrote:Another old layout I downloaded earlier this year. Didn't see it in this thread, so here it is.
mb-less_lius_vero.png
hello everyone!

need some advice as to connecting an led into the circuit..or as it says instead of the spst to use an dpst. how would i have to connect that?

Thanks!

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

crkva wrote:
method wrote:Another old layout I downloaded earlier this year. Didn't see it in this thread, so here it is.
mb-less_lius_vero.png
hello everyone!

need some advice as to connecting an led into the circuit..or as it says instead of the spst to use an dpst. how would i have to connect that?

Thanks!
for true bypass and LED you need a 3PDT.
if you have a power jack and battery, connect as shown here.

if you have a different configuration, check out this link.

crkva
Information

Post by crkva »

Thanks for the links, it will be helpful in the future :D But now i am really confused :slap:

I have 2x 3dpt and an dpdt, but the whole vero layout confusses me.
the switch config isn't the same as the real one, right?

Sorry for all the questions but im new to this :D

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

yeah it's a little confusing, not to worry! The real one uses relays and simple spst switches. the vero layout uses actual hardwire switches.

So assuming you want an LED for both the pedal to show if it's on or off and the boost to show when it's on/off, there would have to be a regular 3PDT foot switch that you wire the common way for an LED (use the wiring diagrams I posted). That one is not shown on the vero. It never is. There is only "input" and "output" on the vero going to that switch (because it is assumed you know how to wire a pedal).

The boost switch however is shown. In reality that is a footswitch and should be a DPDT if you want an LED. LED wiring would be like on the 3PDT (here is a nice breakdown how the different parts of a switch are wired. a 3PDT is simply 3 single SPDTs together).

The "mode" switch is a DPDT like here. A simple flip switch. There is no LED for that one.

so 2 footswitches, one of the DPDT, one 3PDT and a flip switch DPDT. If you only have two 3PDT FS you can use them too, just leave one column of pins not connected to anything.

lots of info, hope this helps. Any questions, just ask away. :thumbsup

crkva
Information

Post by crkva »

thank you very much for all the info! :hug:

this is the info i have been searching :D thanks!

pallas05
Information

Post by pallas05 »

blueskiwi wrote:I'm not a builder, just a player... I recently bought a Les Lius. It sounds great, pretty much spot-on tone wise, but I don't understand why there's no gain control for the basic sound, just on the 'stack' channel.

For my taste there's just too much gain/distortion in the basic sound and I can't turn it down (only volume-wise).

Since you folks have dissected the pedal I was wondering if it this was some limitation of the circuit type, or just a design decision to please the power-chording bedroom-guitarists who must make up the bulk of the pedal buying market?

Any suggestions for similar sounding pedals around to try?
I'm not so much of a builder as well, so I bought the Les Lius.
After some playing I have the same question as "blueskiwi". Would there be a possibility to add a master volume?

Also in my opinion the pedal sounds a bit too harsh, could there be a way to mod the pedal to get a sound with just a bit less high frequency?
Thanks!

halmark4
Information

Post by halmark4 »

Hello! I've built the Les Lius to "Magichomeboy's" layout. I need more control over my volume, is it possible to change the value of one of the pots ( I use the recommended 100k Vol and 10k Boost) so that it can match my clean signal even at lower boost levels?

blue_tokai
Information

Post by blue_tokai »

halmark4 wrote:Hello! I've built the Les Lius to "Magichomeboy's" layout. I need more control over my volume, is it possible to change the value of one of the pots ( I use the recommended 100k Vol and 10k Boost) so that it can match my clean signal even at lower boost levels?

Thought the recommended was 100K and 1K ???

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

HELLO, staff found no information High Power Lovepedal Tweed Twin ... it would be a simple LES LIUS channel?

nonost
Information

Post by nonost »

Hi. In the first page it is said the original circuit used one BAV99 diode. These diodes are "two in one". Each package contains two diodes.I've got some of them and they have a forward voltage around 0.580v. Since the suggested replacement is the 1n914 (1v Vf) I was wondering if the original is using two BAV99 instead of one. It's the only way the maths work.

Cheers!