Maestro EP3 T70-T2 Bias Oscillator Question  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

I have been rebuilding an old EP3 and have hit a snag, mostly from the "where do I find this?" corner.

Someone before me had wired in a new power cable and must have done it backwards and blown both bridge rectifiers so nothing worked at all. Replaced the rectifier for the solenoid/shut off switch and the motor and solenoid worked, but no power was getting to the board. Replaced the main input rectifier (and the big can caps) and the light came on and there was some playback of old recordings, but no erasing/recording. On the schematic I have (attached) there is supposed to be 37volts at the input for the recording head, but there is zero volts there. The problem seems to be with the transformer marked T2 - it is a Nortronics T70-T2 transformer/bias oscillator. 26volts goes in at both lug 1 and 3, but nothing comes out at lug 5. How do I test this to be sure that is the problem. And if it is, is there a reasonable alternative to this part which seems to be no longer available?

Thanks
ep3_conversion_schem.jpg
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Just checking that you realise that the output on pin 5 should be AC (with a frequency of around 40 or 50kHz) not DC.

First I would check that the footswitch jack contacts are making when no footswitch is plugged in.
Next check Q7, Q8, then the components around them.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

Thanks - is the voltage at 1 and 3 also AC, or is it DC?
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO

pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

AC voltage coming out of the T70T2 is 28 volts at pin 5 and 120 volts at pin 4. Resistance at erase head is 40ohms and at the record head is 70 ohms. Playback jack is not shorted. The 28 volts go through a trimpot on the way to the record head, but it has to be all the way off to let the whole 28 volts through.

It also seems the input signal goes nowhere. The buffer/preamp all tests good, but the signal doesn't even get to the transistor.

What a mess...
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Good that the bias oscillator is working.

You don't need the full oscillator voltage on the record head, you need just enough to overcome the magnetic hysteresis of the record head, hence the preset to adjust it. (It's about 40 years since I worked on tape decks and my memory is a little hazy but I think this is correct.)
pmkipp wrote:It also seems the input signal goes nowhere. The buffer/preamp all tests good, but the signal doesn't even get to the transistor.
Are you saying that the input signal isn't reaching Q5 gate?
How did you test the buffer/preamp?

If the amplified input signal is not appearing on Q5 drain then Q5 might be faulty
or there is a short on the PCB
or the cap or resistor that go to ground have gone short circuit (220pf , 1M) (Unlikely that the 1M would go short circuit)
or there is a broken copper track
or the cap or resistor that are in series with the input ore open circuit (.047, 100K).

(Internet fault diagnosis is highly dependant upon accurate and unambiguous information!)
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

I got the preamp working, so the signal made the record and playback heads. Not it only does a single repeat (the initial playback). I checked everything in what I assume is the repeat section (upper left of schematic). The 35uf filtering cap to ground was dead, so replaced that. But the other electrolytics and the two transistors tested fine. The voltage going there seemed a little low, but nothing dramatic. Checked the electrolytic caps in the lower right section on schematic (biasing section) and they were fine as well - all within tolerances. Still just the single repeat.

The heads all seem to be doing what they are supposed to do - erasing, recording and playing back. In the SOS setting you hear everything playing back on the tape that is played in.

What should I check next?
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

pmkipp wrote: 22 Feb 2020, 17:26 What should I check next?
Sorry I missed your post.

If it is only doing one repeat then check all components between test point 19, 1, and 20 (including the Echo/SOS switch).

You may have got it fixed already, if so what was the fault?

pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

Ha! That was a long time between postings, DeltaFred. I have not looked at this one for awhile. Since all the pandemic craziness hit I am doing non-stop pedal repairs/restorations and such. I do need to look again at that one. I do want to get better at working with these old Echoplex machines. I restored a 1962 Multivox Premier 90 reverb recently (not much to that circuit). I will dig into this again soon and get back. I will check those test points to see what I find.
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO