Hudson Electronics Broadcast - AP

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Tomrcarre
Information

Post by Tomrcarre »

Hudson Electronics has recently come out with a new version of the broadcast with two silicon transistors and a more striped down control set, in partnership with Ariel Posen exclusively for Andertons Music in the UK.

To quote Hudson Electronics website
At the heart of the Broadcast-AP – as the name may suggest – is the same circuitry as the Broadcast. A class-A discrete, transformer-coupled circuit, designed to saturate in a unique way reminiscent of certain recording and broadcast consoles.

We took the low-gain side of the standard Broadcast as the starting point. Together, Ariel and I exchanged the Germanium transistor for a Silicon and used an OEP transformer – the OEP transformer saturates and distorts less below 100Hz compared to the Triad transformer used in the standard Broadcast. These two changes together give the Broadcast-AP a darker, smoother, more powerful tone compared to the standard version. Greater weight in the lows, whilst retaining the open highs and upper-mids, giving the Broadcast a ‘3D’ effect.

The control layout features both LEVEL and GAIN TRIM potentiometers and a switchable high-pass / low-cut filter – 100Hz @ 6dB/oct. The GAIN TRIM control has 12dB more gain than the low-gain side of standard Broadcast, allowing the Broadcast-AP to cover ground from clean boost through to medium gain overdrive tones. In addition, the gain of the pedal can be increased via an internal trimmer and – when pushed to the max – the sound becomes overloaded, broken and fuzzy. The high-pass / low-cut filter can help keep the low end together, especially when driving amps at higher gain and volume levels.
I've managed to pull a gut shot from an andertons video, i had to cut the volume pot off the screen cap to fit it in the shot but there's nothing else there anyway.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Bogner used some but I was wondering what took so long for builders to start using signal transformers , if only for a gimmick
In this case emulating a recording console [ and it's overload ] , you'd think an amp transformer would be an obvious try ?

Anyone know which model OEP transformer is used here ?

Tomrcarre
Information

Post by Tomrcarre »

From what I can gather from the original broadcast it is being used as an inductor within an RLC filter to change the resonant peak but I may be wrong.

turbofeedus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by turbofeedus »

But but but... without the stripboard, from where will all the toan come?

Was the source of this circuit ever discovered? It was supposedly some old radio preamp right?

Tomrcarre
Information

Post by Tomrcarre »

More than likely it came from an old transistor manual with a list of simple radio and broadcast circuits! I’ve seen some people suggest it came from a neve preamp but I highly doubt that being it’s origins, either way it’s a cool circuit that sounds fat so it’s all good in my book. :thumbsup

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

okgb wrote: Anyone know which model OEP transformer is used here ?
I bet it's Bourns LM-NP series

OEPs are much bigger.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

The knobs suggest a Neve console module , whether that is designed to make you think that, I don't know
[ class A circuit running on single end 30 v like the 1073 pre/ eq module ]
also I thought I heard /read this and it being an OEP transformer, input or output or as an inductor ?

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

okgb wrote:The knobs suggest a Neve console module , whether that is designed to make you think that, I don't know
[ class A circuit running on single end 30 v like the 1073 pre/ eq module ]
also I thought I heard /read this and it being an OEP transformer, input or output or as an inductor ?
Transformer.

turbofeedus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by turbofeedus »

Tomrcarre wrote: either way it’s a cool circuit that sounds fat so it’s all good in my book. :thumbsup
I stuffed my clone with lard, but I didn't really hear a difference. Any tips?

teddeeh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teddeeh »

Its definatly an OEP transformer.
Ive experimented with different ones

I

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Why are we fantasizing about old mojo recording consoles when there is a gutshot to study? Clearly there are similarities with the original unit: the 330pF, 330nF and the 6-7 elcos. But the marketing copy says: we replaced the Ge with a silicon.... but not a run off the mill plastic case thing.
Broadcast AP.png
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

TWSpedals
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TWSpedals »

Because the transformer isn't being saturated with DC and is simply converting the impedance of the output I don't expect it's doing much to the sound (though that would be dependant on that follows it in the signal chain). I've heard at least 1 account of a clone being built and the transformer added nothing to the sound.
Have a nice day!