Rocktek Metal Worker

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
nitraus
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg V4
Fender Bassman

Post by nitraus »

A friend of mine had this nice pedal which sounded cool, so I found one on ebay and bought it for super cheap.
Obviously, it doesn't sound the same. Also, my friend relocated in another city so it would be really hard to get his pedal and check for differencies.

I'm an absolute noob in modding pedals, so my question is if anybody had known and possibly modded it. I attach a shoot of the PCB hoping it helps a bit.

Thanks folks!
Attachments
metal worker059.jpg

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

I would have to take it from my pedalboard to check inside, but from memory that PCB looks quite similar to the one of the Rocktek Distortion. Maybe the difference only lies in some component values ?

A picture of the other side (copper traces) is indispensable for any tracing attempt, and the values of those vertical resistors can't be read ...
I only give negative feedback.

nitraus
Information
Fender Bassman

Post by nitraus »

nice hint, i checked out your rocktek distortion schematic and they really look the same except for some particulars (in example IC1 is a 6458 on the metal worker).
by the way, I forgot to say that I'm pretty sure my pedal is not a metal worker since the plastic chassis reports DIR-01, while the pcb reports DIZ-02 on both sides; metal worker is MWR-01 and has 4 pots instead of three, so i guess they simply flipped the name plate on my pedal.

anyway i've managed to scan also the traces side of the pcb, here it comes.
Attachments
metal_worker070.jpg

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I used to own a Rocktech Metal Worker pedal, but mine had 4 knobs rather than three, the knobs were marked Dist., High, Low, and Volume, as far as I can remember, the thing I liked most about it was the smooth-sounding Distortion, I'm guessing that they might have used CMOS chips, such as the CD4007 as the distortion generator.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

nitraus
Information
Fender Bassman

Post by nitraus »

yep, i liked my friend's one too because of its smooth and full bodied distortion, exactly the opposite of mine :roll:

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

nitraus wrote:nice hint, i checked out your rocktek distortion schematic and they really look the same except for some particulars (in example IC1 is a 6458 on the metal worker).
by the way, I forgot to say that I'm pretty sure my pedal is not a metal worker since the plastic chassis reports DIR-01, while the pcb reports DIZ-02 on both sides; metal worker is MWR-01 and has 4 pots instead of three, so i guess they simply flipped the name plate on my pedal.

anyway i've managed to scan also the traces side of the pcb, here it comes.
According to this e-bay listing, which features gutshots, your pedal is indeed a Rocktek Distortion.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... 0776097541
See this thread for analysis and mods : https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3763
I only give negative feedback.

nitraus
Information
Fender Bassman

Post by nitraus »

Yep, I had already. Thanks a lot anyway!

Huevo
Information

Post by Huevo »

Hi there!

I am new here.

Ihave a metal worker which I bough when I was a Kid, and honestly Ihave never used until today. I have beeen playing for a while and happy with it. But for me i prefer something more like over Drive or less distorsión. Any mod that you think I could make to this pedal to make it more manageable?

I attach two pictures from the circuit board I found in internet.

Regards
Attachments
D05D85FF-31CA-4ADA-A691-B0F76C9B8FD9.jpeg
D05D85FF-31CA-4ADA-A691-B0F76C9B8FD9.jpeg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
5D19C9D6-D90D-4214-97A2-922B55C4A221.jpeg
5D19C9D6-D90D-4214-97A2-922B55C4A221.jpeg (21.1 KiB) Viewed 2793 times

Huevo
Information

Post by Huevo »

Any help please... ?
Trying to find the schematic but not successful so far.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Hey Huevo,
I'd like to try tracing your pedal.
For that, high resolution images of both sides of the board would be needed - the pictures you posted are way too small. Try to take the pictures as similar as you can, because I'll overlap one onto the other.
Also, many of the resistors are vertically mounted, so you'll be needed to read/measure/provide good images of some parts for their values.

LATER EDIT: this guy made a nice comparison to Boss HM-2 (even measured EQ response):